Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alex Smith
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
mcnabbulous
It almost seems obvious that we would try to bring him in to lead the offense for the next year or two, right?

Athletically, he is a fit for what Kelly likes to do. He's (most likely) not going to win us a SB, but he's better than anyone else currently on the roster. He could at least start getting the system in place for another, younger guy with more upside.
Mike_ G
You think that SF will resign Smith?
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Mike_ G @ Jan 28 2013, 12:37 PM) *
You think that SF will resign Smith?

Yeah.....if Kaepernick's kneecaps explode during the Super Bowl.
BirdsWinBaby
A team that goes to the NFCCG twice with 2 different guys is clearly very talented. Teams like that can make a guy like smith(and kaepernick) seem much better than he is

The problem is throwing big FA money at a guy like that for your team which is not nearly as talented.

There will be slim pickins at QB this offseason so he may be your best option, but I would be concerned about the signing of smith
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (BirdsWinBaby @ Jan 28 2013, 02:12 PM) *
A team that goes to the NFCCG twice with 2 different guys is clearly very talented. Teams like that can make a guy like smith(and kaepernick) seem much better than he is

FWIW, Ian Rappaport just tweeted this: #49ers coach Jim Harbaugh credits Alex Smith with Colin Kaepernick's development, says Smith coaches Kaep more than the coaches do.

The problem is throwing big FA money at a guy like that for your team which is not nearly as talented.

I don't know who would throw tons of money at Smith at this point. He's proven himself to be a good, not great QB. I think he'll get paid accordingly.

There will be slim pickins at QB this offseason so he may be your best option, but I would be concerned about the signing of smith

I think it's pretty low risk, assuming you can get him for just a few seasons. We're not a good team, so it's not like he could hurt our chances of being good.
JaxEagle
I guess we are writing off Foles? Personally I am not sure there is a big upside with Alex Smith over Foles.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (JaxEagle @ Jan 28 2013, 08:05 PM) *
I guess we are writing off Foles? Personally I am not sure there is a big upside with Alex Smith over Foles.

Upside, no. But he is a better QB today than Foles. He also offers athleticism that Kelly may prefer, although that's yet to be determined.
Rick
What, exactly, would the point be in bringing him in for just a couple of years? Why pay him the money? Why not go with Foles and/or draft/trade/etc? There's no point in brining a guy in knowing it's for a short period since, if that's the case, you've already resigned yourself to having a couple of tough seasons. Why not save the money and see what Foles has (or someone else)?

Smith isn't going to make us a winner by himself. He's not a QB who can take a team and carry them. He needs a good, solid team around him. We don't have that at the moment and probably won't for a bit.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Rick @ Jan 28 2013, 09:16 PM) *
What, exactly, would the point be in bringing him in for just a couple of years? Why pay him the money? Why not go with Foles and/or draft/trade/etc? There's no point in brining a guy in knowing it's for a short period since, if that's the case, you've already resigned yourself to having a couple of tough seasons. Why not save the money and see what Foles has (or someone else)?

Smith isn't going to make us a winner by himself. He's not a QB who can take a team and carry them. He needs a good, solid team around him. We don't have that at the moment and probably won't for a bit.

I actually do want to draft a QB. I hope the Eagles land Geno Smith. And I think Alex Smith could be a great mentor for a couple of seasons, as he apparently was for Kaepernick.
Pbfan
id be furious if they got Smith. I think he's a terrible QB
Rick
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 28 2013, 08:22 PM) *
I actually do want to draft a QB. I hope the Eagles land Geno Smith. And I think Alex Smith could be a great mentor for a couple of seasons, as he apparently was for Kaepernick.

Smith has (apparently) played nice in SF but I wouldn't expect him to play nice if he were signed for a short contract just to come in to help train a young QB. I think that's asking way too much of someone.

If you're in the NFL, you want to compete not coach other players (at least not until you're done playing).

While Smith won't get top QB money, he's not going to be, "cheap," so I just don't think it's a great idea to sign him for a short term.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Pbfan @ Jan 29 2013, 02:48 AM) *
id be furious if they got Smith. I think he's a terrible QB

Over the last two seasons he has thrown 30 TD's to 10 INT's. He has limitations, but he's hardly terrible.
Rick
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 29 2013, 09:08 AM) *
Over the last two seasons he has thrown 30 TD's to 10 INT's. He has limitations, but he's hardly terrible.

As much as I hate to I have to agree with you. He's not a bad QB. Unfortunately, that is also the reason I don't think the Eagles should sign him. He won't be cheap.
mcnabbulous
The Niners only paid him like $8.5M this year. That's not unreasonable.
iggleslover49
I'de rather make a play on Dennis Dixon than to pick up Alex Smith. He HAS looked good under Jim Harbaugh, but what did he do before Jim? Nothing.
Rick
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 29 2013, 01:56 PM) *
The Niners only paid him like $8.5M this year. That's not unreasonable.

It's unreasonable to pay a guy that much whom you don't plan on keeping.

Besides, you think he's not going to command more than that with his recent success? He's got better numbers than many QBs.
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (Rick @ Jan 31 2013, 06:57 AM) *
It's unreasonable to pay a guy that much whom you don't plan on keeping.

Besides, you think he's not going to command more than that with his recent success? He's got better numbers than many QBs.

agreed

given the lack of good QBs in the league, smith will likely get easily in the $7-10mill range. he will also demand a mulit-year deal at that salary. thats the problem

why saddle our new coach for his first few years with a QB that isnt suited to his favored offense? maybe kelly can indeed tailor an offense around whoever his players are, but thats not what you brought him here for.

if you want to have a conventional offense until kelly can find the QB he really wants, keep foles
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (BirdsWinBaby @ Jan 31 2013, 09:21 AM) *
agreed

given the lack of good QBs in the league, smith will likely get easily in the $7-10mill range. he will also demand a mulit-year deal at that salary. thats the problem

The way teams structure deals, you're never really bogged down too long (see: M. Vick)

$7-$10M is not that much for a starting QB. Like I said, if Smith could carry the torch for a year or two, it could be a decent situation. He's better than anyone we currently have.

why saddle our new coach for his first few years with a QB that isnt suited to his favored offense? maybe kelly can indeed tailor an offense around whoever his players are, but thats not what you brought him here for.

Huh? That was the point of this thread. Smith does seem suited towards the type of system that Kelly ran at Oregon. When Smith ran a spread offense in college, it resulted in him being drafted #1.

Why don't you think he's a fit?

if you want to have a conventional offense until kelly can find the QB he really wants, keep foles

I have no idea what Kelly wants to run in the pros and I have no idea how conventional it will be under any circumstances. I would just rather be competitive over the next few years, and I see that being more likely with Smith than Foles.
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 31 2013, 12:36 PM) *
Huh? That was the point of this thread. Smith does seem suited towards the type of system that Kelly ran at Oregon. When Smith ran a spread offense in college, it resulted in him being drafted #1.

Why don't you think he's a fit?

i wasnt aware that he ran that offense in college so maybe he would be good for Kelly. i thought he couldnt run it because Harbaugh ran mostly WCO with him. if he wanted to run the spread (drafted kaepernick right away)and smith is suited to that style its odd that he wouldnt run it

smith will be 8yrs removed from his college days (and legs) next year

Dreagon
I think Alex Smith is a decent quarterback that somebody is going to overpay for this coming season. Somebody like Cleveland who really needs some kind a sure thing under center after a string of failed experiments.
Rick
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 31 2013, 12:36 PM) *
$7-$10M is not that much for a starting QB. Like I said, if Smith could carry the torch for a year or two, it could be a decent situation. He's better than anyone we currently have.

You're right, it's not a lot for a starting QB, however, it IS a lot for a QB you don't plan to build a team around. Why waste the time and money? I don't know what Foles is making but I'd bet every dollar I have in the bank it's much less than $7-$10 million/season. If you're saying let's get him for a couple/few seasons while we (essentially) rebuild, you're already resigned to the possibility of some extended amount of time missing the playoffs. Why bring in another guy--and pay him MORE than you're paying your current guy--to do that? What, exactly, will you learn? Why not go with Foles since you think we're gonna have a tough road ahead of us? You'll learn something about the kid and maybe, just maybe, he turns into a serviceable NFL QB--about what Smith is--nothing more, nothing less.

I just really don't understand the logic of signing him to be the fall guy for a couple/few seasons. If you're saying bring him in and let him be our QB for the future, that's a much different discussion and I can see some arguments for that.
eaglesfan299
I'd rather have Alex Smith than Geno Smith.
Bez
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Jan 31 2013, 10:06 PM) *
I think Alex Smith is a decent quarterback that somebody is going to overpay for this coming season. Somebody like Cleveland who really needs some kind a sure thing under center after a string of failed experiments.
A likely scenario.
Pbfan
QUOTE (eaglesfan299 @ Feb 3 2013, 03:55 PM) *
I'd rather have Alex Smith than Geno Smith.

God forbid these are our only options. I don't know if I could go on being an Eagles fan.
HobbEs
God forbid these are our only options. I don't know if I could go on being an Eagles fan

It's not our only option. Dennis Dixon will be available. wacko.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.