Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I thought the Eagles had a better cap situation
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
Somehow, I was under the impression the Eagles were once again King of the Cap. Apparently not. It appears that even if they cut Vick, Asomugha and McBriar they'll have less than $18 million to spend. I forget what the rookie cap is, but it seems like that isn't going to be enough to be in a good spot to sign a young FA or two.

After the debacle of 2011 FA, and even last year the team may opt out of "name" FA signings like the safety from Buffalo and use the draft to lock into full rebuild mode. Or, they could decide to separate themselves from a couple of other pricey players and target one or two young, prime FA.

For example, Peters apparently carries no dead money so they could trade him, draft a tackle at #4 and save almost $11 million. But do you really trade the best LT in the NFL, especially when he's coming off of an injury? Patterson would save $4 million and also has no dead money. Ryans, almost $7 million, no dead money. That's $22 million, giving them $40 million under the cap for a couple of poison pills in FA.

Bite the bullet(s), trade some real talent and load up on draft picks? Could they replace Peters, Patterson and Ryans and get value for them? I'm not suggesting, only looking for conversation.
nephillymike
Something happened and I have not checked into it yet.

We went from having $22M left over a month ago, to being $20M+ over the cap.

The $40M+ swing is very odd.

Someone actually called 97.5 either Fri or Sat and mentioned this.

I'll try to take a look.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.