Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: This Raiders stuff is pretty weird
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
mcnabbulous
I don't think Callahan sabotaged them, but given the fact that Jon Ritchie is on the record saying they completely changed their gameplan just before the game, it does sound suspicious. I suspect it has to be related to their starting center missing the game with no notice, but it's still very strange. That was a good team that look anything but that on SB Sunday.
TGryn
https://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/23/sports/f...undup.html?_r=0

Tim Brown, a former receiver for the Oakland Raiders, alleged in a radio interview Saturday that Raiders Coach Bill Callahan purposefully "sabotaged" the team by changing the game plan just a few days before the game. The Raiders were trounced, 48-21, by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, who had one of the best defenses in N.F.L. history.

It may not have been a good idea to change the game plan at the last minute, but its not unheard of or suspicious. Joe Gibbs and Bill Walsh were known to do that from time to time, among many others. It only becomes an issue when it doesn't work.

I'd also say that giving up 48 points probably didn't have a lot to do with the offensive game plan, either.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (TGryn @ Jan 23 2013, 09:45 AM) *
I'd also say that giving up 48 points probably didn't have a lot to do with the offensive game plan, either.

21 of those points came directly from interception returns. They also had 2 other picks that weren't returned, although I can't recall what they did for field position.
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 23 2013, 05:34 AM) *
I don't think Callahan sabotaged them, but given the fact that Jon Ritchie is on the record saying they completely changed their gameplan just before the game, it does sound suspicious. I suspect it has to be related to their starting center missing the game with no notice, but it's still very strange. That was a good team that look anything but that on SB Sunday.

Tim Brown sez the center split as a result of the change in the gameplan, rather than causing it.
HOUSEoPAIN
IMO the truth will be evident with whatever action(s) Callahan takes in response to these allegations.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jan 23 2013, 12:59 PM) *
IMO the truth will be evident with whatever action(s) Callahan takes in response to these allegations.

Like I said, I don't think he deliberately threw the game. So I don't think anything will come of it. From Ritchie's statements, the fact that the gameplan was so dramatically different from what they had practiced/planned was very unorthodox.
He is a very, very intelligent person (who I've been fortunate to meet and know a bit about) with no reason to lie about the situation. I value his opinion on the subject more than Brown.
TGryn
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 23 2013, 07:04 AM) *
21 of those points came directly from interception returns. They also had 2 other picks that weren't returned, although I can't recall what they did for field position.

I'd counterpoint that the last two INT-TDs would have happened regardless of the game plan, since they came in the last 3 minutes. At that point, the Raiders were down 34-21 after clawing back from 27-3, and they came back by throwing on every down. Its not like they're going to start running then, so Tampa knew the pass was coming which makes getting INTs a lot easier.

The thing that really shoots down Brown's argument is that the Raiders averaged 1.7 yards/rush on the day. Feeding Garner the ball wasn't going to be some magical road to deliverance, they weren't going to be thumping their way to victory with that kind of YPC. The Bucs were just the much better team that day.

Heck, considering they actually had a shot in the 4th, and got that by throwing on every down, I'd say Callahan's game plan was the right one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.