Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cut or Keep Vick
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
navyeagles
I am interested to hear what you all want to see with Mike Vick....
nephillymike
Cut him.

Too careless with the football and his head is that of a punch drunk fighter.

Given the lack of severity of the hits that casued some of the recent concussions, I think they will be a factor every year.

His price tag to us is $15M, way too high. Even if we cut him, I think he'll get at least $8M somewhere else which is still too high.
Mr. Bonko
Anyone who votes to keep knows nothing about people --- or they hate the Eagles.
HOUSEoPAIN
He's old, makes too much, and is going to be injured every other game. Plus he sucks.
Mr. Bonko
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jan 20 2013, 11:53 AM) *
He's old, makes too much, and is going to be injured every other game. Plus he sucks.

Could not agree more.
Zero
I'd say trade him but that's unrealistic for many reasons.
D Rock
History has proven that 10 week period in 2010 was the exception not the rule. The rule? Vick Sux.
Reality Fan
While I disagree that Vick sucks I do believe that he is not an answer here. He needs a team with a decent offensive game plan and an O line. I was never a Vick guy but he has a great arm, throws a terrific ball and has some skills that surprised me. Here, however, he was a bad idea. He needs an offense with a strong line and bigger targets and he needs to be part of the offense, not THE offense and here he needed to be the offense because the line was so bad. Even last year the in 11' the line was better than the year before but it was not great. It was a good running line but a mediocre to subpar pass blocking line.

His time is up.
Dreagon
If you keep him, next year you will be paying him like a top ten QB. You'll have to ask yourself if he is worth that.
_KAMELOT_
Hmmm

The most experienced QB we currently have. The best arm we currently have. A dual threat QB; the only one we have.

Vick gives us the best chance to win right now. But let's say I'm wrong. Assuming Foles is our starter, who's behind him? If we're not signing another guy, I'd like Vick to stay. With a different contract, of course.
Eyrie
In keeping with my policy of only commenting on Vick as a QB -

Cut him. The cap figure could be renegotiated when he realises that there isn't a market for an inaccurate, ball-holding, sack-prone, slow-progression, oft-concussed fumbler who can't see over his own OL.

But based on Kelly's comments at Oregon those same failings will not be tolerated here so he definitely won't be back.

Note - there may be some minor hyperbole in my description, but not much.
Pbfan
Cut him unless he'll take a huge paycut ad forget about that garunteed money. Which is not likely to happen so, yes, cut him.
D Rock
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 20 2013, 09:05 PM) *
While I disagree that Vick sucks I do believe that he is not an answer here. He needs a team with a decent offensive game plan and an O line. I was never a Vick guy but he has a great arm, throws a terrific ball and has some skills that surprised me. Here, however, he was a bad idea. He needs an offense with a strong line and bigger targets and he needs to be part of the offense, not THE offense and here he needed to be the offense because the line was so bad. Even last year the in 11' the line was better than the year before but it was not great. It was a good running line but a mediocre to subpar pass blocking line.

His time is up.

A great game plan? Vick couldn't read a defense if it were written in English.
samaroo
I voted for other, only to say that we should try to trade him. I'm not sure we'd get anything for him, but just dangle him out there, see what bites. And jump on the first offer we get!

Barring a trade, unless he'd be willing to take a HUGE pay cut (which does seem really unlikely) and be our backup, I'd say cut his ass.
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (samaroo @ Jan 21 2013, 03:51 AM) *
I voted for other, only to say that we should try to trade him. I'm not sure we'd get anything for him, but just dangle him out there, see what bites. And jump on the first offer we get!

Barring a trade, unless he'd be willing to take a HUGE pay cut (which does seem really unlikely) and be our backup, I'd say cut his ass.

thats the problem with trying to trade him.....you have to decide to give him $3mill to keep him on the roster and then trading opens a few weeks later

aside from him sucking, he believes he is a starter and doesnt want to take a pay cut thinking that he will get starter money on another team

so you keep him for $3mill in the hopes he is decent trade bait, he doesnt take a pay cut, teams know Lurie isnt gonna give him $15mill so he has to be cut anyway, they offer you little or nothing and the result is $3mil down the drain for nothing

he should have been cut already...no way Lurie doesnt end this bad experiment AR talked him into
Rick
I really don't know why he hasn't been cut yet--regardless of who they were going to hire as HC. Money alone should have dictated he be cut immediately after the season. His performance dictated he should have been cut during the season.

He can throw a ball a mile but he can't hit an open receiver. He can't read a defense to save his life (literally). He holds the ball way too long and takes way too many sacks because of it. He fumbles the ball if someone looks at him the wrong way and throws more accurately to the other team than his own. He is no longer the speed threat he once was--and what made him a star (not his (lack of) QB skills. And, to top it all off, he gets injured ALL of the time.

How does that give the Eagles the best chance of winning?

Cut him now!!!! Move on from Andy's experiment already!!!
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (_KAMELOT_ @ Jan 20 2013, 05:32 PM) *
Vick gives us the best chance to win right now.

That is no different than this year, which means that we have no chance to win right now. At best, we are two years away from being competitive. And that's assuming a lot of stuff goes right the next two offseasons.

Eyrie
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 21 2013, 04:42 PM) *
That is no different than this year, which means that we have no chance to win right now. At best, we are two years away from being competitive. And that's assuming a lot of stuff goes right the next two offseasons.

A lot depends on the defence and how quickly it can be fixed. A switch to the 3-4 would certainly rule out a one year turnaround however.
samaroo
QUOTE (BirdsWinBaby @ Jan 21 2013, 08:28 AM) *
thats the problem with trying to trade him.....you have to decide to give him $3mill to keep him on the roster and then trading opens a few weeks later

I didn't know that there was a starting trade deadline! If that's the case, then i agree, he should already be packing his things.
bebina
No point in him being here. He doesn't fit the Chip Kelly system as in the real system of reading the defense and calling audibles, making line changes, not being struck by fumblitis and getting rid of the ball. Not that Foles knows how to do the last one.

Oh and I haven't even mentioned his contract yet. So goodbye MR. Vick you gave us a great 2010 and sucked it up in '11 and '12. Maybe it was due to the offensive schemes or the line (in '11 it def wasn't) but w/e it is I wish you gluck in the future!
samaroo
QUOTE (bebina @ Jan 22 2013, 04:56 AM) *
No point in him being here. He doesn't fit the Chip Kelly system as in the real system of reading the defense and calling audibles, making line changes, not being struck by fumblitis and getting rid of the ball. Not that Foles knows how to do the last one.

Oh and I haven't even mentioned his contract yet. So goodbye MR. Vick you gave us a great 2010 and sucked it up in '11 and '12. Maybe it was due to the offensive schemes or the line (in '11 it def wasn't) but w/e it is I wish you gluck in the future!

Sounds like the death tolls to me....
iggleslover49
Vick is the best QB on the roster and will prove all of you wrong just like he did in 2010. And when he does, don't jump on the bandwagon. No Vickadelphia, vicktory, ect... Ect... Nick Foles is still unproven in my book. And the oline will give Vick more time this year. Vick definitely deserves a chance in this new offense, especially if it's spread option.
iggleslover49
And you can put me on record on this right now. So later on when success comes and I rip all of you. Ya'll will know exactly what the deal is.
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (iggleslover49 @ Jan 24 2013, 10:32 PM) *
And you can put me on record on this right now. So later on when success comes and I rip all of you. Ya'll will know exactly what the deal is.

oh your on the record bro....you have been since 2010 when you argued adamantly that he was going to be great

like i said back then...."he's the same guy"...lol
Rick
QUOTE (iggleslover49 @ Jan 24 2013, 10:26 PM) *
Vick is the best QB on the roster and will prove all of you wrong just like he did in 2010. And when he does, don't jump on the bandwagon. No Vickadelphia, vicktory, ect... Ect... Nick Foles is still unproven in my book. And the oline will give Vick more time this year. Vick definitely deserves a chance in this new offense, especially if it's spread option.

LLMAO!!!!! Sorry, I can't stop laughing here....

You're telling me you still think Vick is a good QB!!?? I never did...NEVER. He was an incredible athlete but has never been more than a below average QB (at best) in the NFL. His 2010 was the exception, not the rule. Now that he's older and slower, he's going to keep sucking even more.

More importantly, he STILL can't read a defense. Something required in an NFL QB...
iggleslover49
QUOTE (Rick @ Jan 26 2013, 08:48 AM) *

You're telling me you still think Vick is a good QB!!?? I never did...NEVER. He was an incredible athlete but has never been more than a below average QB (at best) in the NFL. His 2010 was the exception, not the rule. Now that he's older and slower, he's going to keep sucking even more.

More importantly, he STILL can't read a defense. Something required in an NFL QB...

I'm saying he's the bestQB on the PHILADELPHIA EAGLES roster. Vick had a bad season this season without question. But he is still better than all these QB's coming outta the draft. Foles does some good things, but Foles is NOT better than Vick. With a better oline, better playcalling, and Far less pressure from a coach(not named Andy Ried/MM) to camp in the pocket and "make something happen", he is a more without a doubt a more dangerous weapon than Foles.

As for reading defenses, I don't cast ALL the blame on Vick there; poor coaching played a big role in that too. Kelly is far different than Ried. He wants to run, and one thing I can say about Vick is that he would accel at a read option defense and he can find the running lanes if that's what Kelly asks of him. With Ried, two safeties deep, pass the ball. Chip will run it there and will coach Vick to run it there.

Vick still has a rocket of an arm(better than foles), turnovers were an issue for both QBs, and those turnovers were not always their faults. Vick fumbles.... unfortunately, so does Foles. I just feel like Vick should get atleast one year with Kelly, especially since Foles IS NOT Kelly's guy anyway. Keep Vick, let the QBs on the roster battle it out, and may the best man win. Simple as that. Ofcourse, the one stipulation is Vick DOES have to accept a pay cut.
Eyrie
Regardless of whether Vick takes a pay cut or not, he's gone. Wouldn't surprise me if he got a two year deal with the Chiefs if Reid wants to ease Smith into the NFL rather than annoint him the starter from day one.

And Vick is NOT the best QB on our roster. It is arguable that he can be more effective at the position due to his mobility, but when it comes to such matters as reading the field, getting the ball out quickly and being accurate Foles is already the superior player as a passer, which is what a QB is meant to do.

Foles is the better fit for Kelly and will be either our starting QB in 2013 or else backing up a new man. My guess is the former, whilst Kelly waits until next year's draft to find his own guy.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Rick @ Jan 26 2013, 07:48 AM) *

I agree and disagree with you on this one.......I think Vick has a ton of talent and could have been an excellent QB. He certainly can read Ds but his problem has always been trying to do too much. Every QB has made bad decisions throwing the ball but Vick's weakness is and always has been judgement and confidence that his ability was greater than the sum of the ability of any defense. I think it comes from the way he was coached in college and my Mora. When he comes here he is a read option guy that they try to shoe horn into a west coast hybrid and it worked until they started tweaking it and they seriously fucked it up. I am not saying he ever would have been a long term solution here and he certainly isn't the answer going forward but he has/had the ability to be a good to great QB. To me this is probably one of Reid's biggest failures.(and I really liked Reid and never really cared for or about Vick)
iggleslover49
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 27 2013, 11:38 AM) *
I agree and disagree with you on this one.......I think Vick has a ton of talent and could have been an excellent QB. He certainly can read Ds but his problem has always been trying to do too much. Every QB has made bad decisions throwing the ball but Vick's weakness is and always has been judgement and confidence that his ability was greater than the sum of the ability of any defense. I think it comes from the way he was coached in college and my Mora. When he comes here he is a read option guy that they try to shoe horn into a west coast hybrid and it worked until they started tweaking it and they seriously fucked it up. I am not saying he ever would have been a long term solution here and he certainly isn't the answer going forward but he has/had the ability to be a good to great QB. To me this is probably one of Reid's biggest failures.(and I really liked Reid and never really cared for or about Vick)

The question to me is simply can Kelly, coach him enough to make him realize that he doesn't have to do too much, just do your job. I believe Ried put him in a bad spot.
Rick
QUOTE (iggleslover49 @ Jan 26 2013, 08:00 PM) *
I'm saying he's the bestQB on the PHILADELPHIA EAGLES roster. Vick had a bad season this season without question. But he is still better than all these QB's coming outta the draft. Foles does some good things, but Foles is NOT better than Vick. With a better oline, better playcalling, and Far less pressure from a coach(not named Andy Ried/MM) to camp in the pocket and "make something happen", he is a more without a doubt a more dangerous weapon than Foles.

Sorry, I don't believe Vick is the best QB on the roster. He's the best athlete--and he has more experience than Foles--out of the QBs but not the best QB. You're not gonna convince me of that.

As for reading defenses, I don't cast ALL the blame on Vick there; poor coaching played a big role in that too. Kelly is far different than Ried. He wants to run, and one thing I can say about Vick is that he would accel at a read option defense and he can find the running lanes if that's what Kelly asks of him. With Ried, two safeties deep, pass the ball. Chip will run it there and will coach Vick to run it there.

What was his excuse with Atlanta? he couldn't read them there either.

Vick still has a rocket of an arm(better than foles), turnovers were an issue for both QBs, and those turnovers were not always their faults. Vick fumbles.... unfortunately, so does Foles. I just feel like Vick should get atleast one year with Kelly, especially since Foles IS NOT Kelly's guy anyway. Keep Vick, let the QBs on the roster battle it out, and may the best man win. Simple as that. Ofcourse, the one stipulation is Vick DOES have to accept a pay cut.

I don't care if he can throw the ball THREE hundred yards, he's inaccurate and he makes HORRIBLE decisions.

Comparing Foles to Vick in this regard isn't fair. How many years has Vick played in the NFL? How many has Foles played? How do rookie QBs typically do in the NFL? I don't know the stats but I'd bet they don't do nearly as well as Foles did during his play time in his ROOKIE season.

Why keep Vick when you know this year (at least) will be a rebuilding season (at best)? Why not either draft/trade/pickup someone from FA to play QB and drop Vick, his turnovers and (more importantly) SALARY? If you let Foles play, you learn more about whether he can actually be an effective QB in the NFL. If you draft someone, you find out whether he can be an effective NFL QB. We already know Vick sucks. What are we going to learn about guys who may help us in the future by keeping that bum?
Rick
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 27 2013, 11:38 AM) *

Right, the point is he HAD the possibility of being a good (possibly great) QB but NEVER became that. I keep hearing excuses for his inability to read a defense. He has NEVER been able to read a defense and make a good decision based on what he sees...EVER in the NFL. That is something you either can or can't do. He seems to be one of those guys who cannot do it.

He makes bad decisions. Who cares WHY he makes them? If he throws into triple coverage (something he's done on more than one occasion), I don't care if it was because he felt he could get the ball in there, it was a BAD decision period.

He started to fail with the Eagles because teams realized, if they put massive amounts of pressure on him, he'd crack, not because we tweaked what we did. He used to be able to get away with it because of his ridiculous speed, however, he doesn't have that speed any longer and he started to get into tighter spots and this made him make bad decisions (taking a sack and fumbling, throwing into multiple coverage, etc.).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.