Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pat Shurmur
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
navyeagles
Adam Shefter is Reporting the Pat Shurmur is going to be the Eagles new OC....
navyeagles
I believe this is just a saftey net, because the organization knows him so well. Since he was our QB coach for soooo many years..
nephillymike
Was he the HC at CLE?

I thought he went with Andy to KC?
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 20 2013, 11:33 AM) *
Was he the HC at CLE?

I thought he went with Andy to KC?

Doug Peterson is the new OC in KC. I like this hire. He's been around for the development of QB's which is one of my big concerns about Kelly.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (navyeagles @ Jan 20 2013, 10:28 AM) *
Adam Shefter is Reporting the Pat Shurmur is going to be the Eagles new OC....

And the pissing match between Banner and Lurie continues.....
nephillymike
Read the comments.

It's not getting rave reviews.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/...n-philadelphia/
Zero
Here's a link.

I like this if true. As already mentioned, Shurmer has experience working with QBs plus he's been around the NFL, most recently as HC. This is important for Kelly to have that perspective close at hand.

Shurmer's supposed to be a very bright guy but Kelly is likely to be the de facto OC leaving Pat as his QB tutor and NFL pathfinder. He'll also be Kelly's student and is familiar with the organization and the city/fans.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 20 2013, 12:32 PM) *
Read the comments.

Let's assume Kelly will be calling the plays anyway. I'm more concerned about who they get as DC.
nephillymike
Do you think he would take a "in name only" position after already being a HC?

I could see a college coach or a recently fired NFL OC doing that but a HC?

Maybe he did.

I hope it works.

I agree we need a rock solid DC and soon so we know what type of LB and DL to recruit
Zero

I'm not seeing what you're referring to.
Shurmur and Kelly have very different offensive backgrounds, and questions could be raised about whether their two approaches to coaching offense can mesh. But it’s also to Kelly’s credit that he wants to bring in an experienced NFL coach who does things differently than he does. Kelly has said that he wouldn’t necessarily run the same kind of spread offense in the NFL that he ran at Oregon, and hiring Shurmur as offensive coordinator would be a strong indication that he wants to employ a more conventional approach in the pros.

This is going to be Kelly's show and if he also wants to learn from another coach that's a good thing. If, as a lot of people are saying, Kelly doesn't have the QB to run his offense he could use other ideas on how to work with a pocket passer. Didn't Shurmer work with Bradford in St. Louis?
Zero
After being fired by the Browns, Shurmur is looking for work and understands that old philosophies must be challenged in a league that's evolving rapidly on offense. Joining Kelly's staff would represent a learning opportunity and as drastic a transition as we can imagine.
Link ...

If Shurmer does indeed come to the Eagles, it demonstrates a sharp contrast to Andy. Kelly is as open to learning as he is to teaching while Andy hires Pederson as his OC lap dog. Andy knows he has all the answers while Kelly seems to realize how much he doesn't know.

When asked how smart he was Benjamin Franklin once replied, "I'm smart enough to realize how much I don't know."
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 20 2013, 12:40 PM) *
I'm not seeing what you're referring to.

This is going to be Kelly's show and if he also wants to learn from another coach that's a good thing. If, as a lot of people are saying, Kelly doesn't have the QB to run his offense he could use other ideas on how to work with a pocket passer. Didn't Shurmer work with Bradford in St. Louis?

I was referring more to the comments about the article than the article.

He doesn't seem to have many who think he did a good job anywhere!

Not saying it won't work out.
Reality Fan
Read the comments.

read the comments? seriously? on that site?

do we believe "league sources" also?

I don't know if this is good or bad but I put little stock in most of the material now presented on PFT anymore and none in any of the comments. I don't even read them because they border on the insane most times.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.