Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: With the 4th pick in the 2013 NFL draft
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
I don't study the players, but if think our OL will come back healthy I'd go for Milliner. If there's any question about Peters I go with Joeckel.
mcnabbulous
I'm curious about Milliner's speed, but at this time, Id be good with it. I don't think Joekel will make it to 4. If we are serious about a move to 3-4, I would have to think the NT from Utah would be in play. Or Jarvis Jones if he is around.

I'm still not sure I could pass on Geno Smith if he was sitting there.
VICKtory
I like the idea of Joeckel if availible. Even if Peters is health he'll provide long term health and we'll have more than likely the best line in the league.

I like the idea of Joekel early and then defense with pretty much every other pick, however if he's gone and we so switch to a 3-4 I love Jarvis Jones. I just think that kid is going to be a stud and very fun to watch.

And even though Jones would be the prettier pick I believe Star Loutilelie would be the better one. 3-4 nose really is the most important position, unless we find someone already on our roster that can do it.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 19 2013, 08:50 AM) *
I don't study the players, but if think our OL will come back healthy I'd go for Milliner. If there's any question about Peters I go with Joeckel.

There's a ton of DT talent as well as some great DBs which we badly need especially at safety, but I'm sure Kelly will go offense. I'd be fine with Joeckel.
Dreagon
Up until you guys hired Kelly, I figured you would go for Joeckel or Lotulelei...whichever fell to you. But new coaches like to start things off with their own hand picked QB, so I think the odds of yall taking Geno Smith or trading down and going for Wilson or Barkley have gone way up.
Eyrie
Our offense is missing one starter on the OL and an elite RT to move Herremans to RG would allow us to focus on defence, so I'm hoping for Joekel.

However it seems like every DC candidate is a 3-4 guy, so it wouldn't surprise me to see the pick used there. Agree with Vicktory that an elite NT would be essential to make the switch work.
nephillymike
At best available, Joeckel and the NT would be good value picks.

Smith is a reach there, but they always reach for QB's in the NFL draft.

Can trade down for Millner if need be, too high to take him at #4.

BTW, we have one pick in each round, either the 3rd,4th or 5th for each, plus an extra 7th rounder.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 20 2013, 07:04 AM) *
At best available, Joeckel and the NT would be good value picks.

Smith is a reach there, but they always reach for QB's in the NFL draft.

Can trade down for Millner if need be, too high to take him at #4.

BTW, we have one pick in each round, either the 3rd,4th or 5th for each, plus an extra 7th rounder.

Will the draft stradegy be Kelly's or Howie's? It's going to be interesting to see how they work this. Like I said, if the OL is healthy it would seem their biggest needs are on defense. What positions does he value? Until Kendricks (Howie?) Reid never valued LBs but loved DBs (JJ?) and DL.

The trenches seemed to be Reid's philosophy. Where will Chip fall? I've read a couple of writers whining that Kelly doesn't know anything about defense but I also read that he started his coaching on that side of the ball. DC choice is still going to be huge.
nephillymike
Well Lurie and Howie revealed that they got away from their best available player philosophy and they reached for need at some spots in some years to make up for past failures.

So I would expect a strict best available player philosophy, with maybe some adjustment to a position of need but not much.

Yeah, Kelly did not dabble in the D at Oregon, so the DC hire is huge. The fact we don't have one is a concern as I thought there would have been some on the radar screen as part of the process. The NYG LB coach is eh. I would like a qualified experienced DC or former HC with DC experience. We need NFL experience on that staff in a big way. Give me a Jim Johnson clone where we can just hand him the D and get out of the way and I'm good.

I read that Lovie is leaning toward taking his $5M unemployment check from CHI and staying out for a year so he's probably off the board.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 20 2013, 08:33 AM) *
Give me a Jim Johnson clone where we can just hand him the D and get out of the way and I'm good.

I read that Lovie is leaning toward taking his $5M unemployment check from CHI and staying out for a year so he's probably off the board.

Wasn't JJ an "eh" kind of LB coach when Reid hired him?

Regarding Lovie, we keep hearing Howie is relentless and persistent.
navyeagles
I think they will trade back and get some more picks, maybe to 11 or 12 and pick up another 2nd or 3rd round pick... and then take Geno Smith, he is not worthy of a top 5 pick but i can see him going mid to late 1st
Zero
QUOTE (navyeagles @ Jan 20 2013, 08:57 AM) *
I think they will trade back and get some more picks, maybe to 11 or 12 and pick up another 2nd or 3rd round pick... and then take Geno Smith, he is not worthy of a top 5 pick but i can see him going mid to late 1st

Worthy or not if he's the top rated QB some QB hungry team may "reach" for him.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (navyeagles @ Jan 20 2013, 08:57 AM) *
and then take Geno Smith, he is not worthy of a top 5 pick but i can see him going mid to late 1st

Based on what? Have you really watched him play much? I'm just curious what skill everyone thinks this guy is lacking.
navyeagles
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 20 2013, 10:07 AM) *
Based on what? Have you really watched him play much? I'm just curious what skill everyone thinks this guy is lacking.

I compare him to last years top QBs.. and if you look at this guy in the "big" games he goes away.. He is talented against the weaker defenses but when they played big name schools he just disappeared.. and that makes me nervous..
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (navyeagles @ Jan 20 2013, 11:26 AM) *
I compare him to last years top QBs.. and if you look at this guy in the "big" games he goes away..
I think this is a mistake. Luck was arguably the best QB prospect ever. No prospect matches up. And RGIII is considered to potentially have more upside. Keep in mind he didn't even become a sure top-5 pick until later in the process.

He is talented against the weaker defenses but when they played big name schools he just disappeared.. and that makes me nervous..
He tore apart Texas and his team put up 49 on Oklahoma. His team's defense was so awful that it put unrealistic pressure on the offense. For the most part, I think he handled it well.

My point is that for a pure skill and size perspective, he offers everything you could want. He has some areas of improvement (deep accuracy) but I love his skill set.

nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 20 2013, 08:52 AM) *
Wasn't JJ an "eh" kind of LB coach when Reid hired him?

Regarding Lovie, we keep hearing Howie is relentless and persistent.

I think JJ was the Colts Dc before he came here.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 20 2013, 11:43 AM) *
I think JJ was the Colts Dc before he came here.

Immediately before coming here, he was a LB coach in Seattle. Prior to that he had a stint as a DC in Indy, which is where Andy noticed/admired him.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.