Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone else hear or see Kelly's press conference today?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
I was impressed. Personable, good answers and he didn't clear his throat once. He wants a chance to look at his players before he decides what system(s) he'll use. He'll base his offense and defense on the strengths of his players.

He gushed about Foles as a QB and said a QB is no good if he's injured. Says he's a coach not a personnel guy and isn't power hungry.

Says he's in the middle of working on his assistants. Slower than he'd like because he needs to get permission to talk to guys already under contract.

Good start, Kellydelphia.
mcnabbulous
I just read the most satisfying thing I've seen yet. Sorry if already posted.

In our attitude, every sack is the quarterback’s fault. lt is not a sack if the quarterback throws the ball away. Nobody ever lost a game 0n an incomplete pass. Throw the ball away, and give us another opportunity to make a first down. lf you throw it away, it is second-and-10 for the first down. lf you take the sack, it is second-and-16 for the down. lf you can stay away from negative yardage plays, you will be successful. We base the success formula for offense on the total number of plays. Take those plays minus the dropped balls, offensive penalties, and negative yardage plays, and divide by the total number of plays. lf the answer is 80 percent or better, you win the game. The total number of good plays is what you want to consider.

The job of a quarterback is simple. He has to let it happen, and not make it happen. We want to move forward. That is a concept you have to make your team understand. The cardinal sin at our place is the quarterback sack. We want the ball out of the quarterback’s hands in 1.5 seconds. That does not mean holding the ball until 2.5, waiting for someone t0 get open.”

Frankly, both McNabb and Vick were absolutely atrocious with regards to sacks. It was McNabb's worst trait, even beyond his average mid-range passing.

If Kelly can instill this mindset in our QB, whoever it is, I expect good things. Sacks kill drives. It's that simple.

My excitement is growing.

Source
samaroo
Yeah, everything I've been reading has been amping me up. I was initially really disappointed when we signed him, but I'm becoming cautiously optimistic.

BTW, someone on this site (I forget who) linked to fishduck.com...awesome. Not the super-college-y offensive genius I was fearing...
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (samaroo @ Jan 17 2013, 07:01 PM) *
BTW, someone on this site (I forget who) linked to fishduck.com...awesome. Not the super-college-y offensive genius I was fearing...

I think it was some random Oregon fan. Maybe the site owner? It's really good stuff. There is an amazing amount of quality content out there pertaining to breaking down his offense.
bebina
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 17 2013, 07:19 PM) *
I think it was some random Oregon fan. Maybe the site owner? It's really good stuff. There is an amazing amount of quality content out there pertaining to breaking down his offense.

Check out the articles on CHip to get a fuller understanding of what he can do with who we have in place.

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2012/12...kelly-conundrum

http://igglesblitz.com/philadelphia-eagles...out-chip-kelly/

He wasn't a guy that I liked but after reading those pieces I'm warming up to him. Also I'm seeing how wrong the talking heads are in terms of understanding his offensive philosophy.
samaroo
Yeah, everything I've been finding is telling me his philosophy isn't spread and trick plays, but finding missmatches and RUNNING AT THEM! I'm actually getting excited.

Please, God, don't screw up the DC position...
Eyrie
I'm definitely leaning to Foles getting a chance to be the starter for Kelly. He has the smarts and accuracy to do what Kelly wants.

On the other hand Vick holds the ball too long, makes poor decisions and turns the ball over. Too much is being made of his mobility being a good fit for a HC whose philosophy is to do what works rather than conform to a reputation bestowed by outsiders.
Dreagon
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jan 18 2013, 04:13 PM) *
I'm definitely leaning to Foles getting a chance to be the starter for Kelly. He has the smarts and accuracy to do what Kelly wants.

On the other hand Vick holds the ball too long, makes poor decisions and turns the ball over. Too much is being made of his mobility being a good fit for a HC whose philosophy is to do what works rather than conform to a reputation bestowed by outsiders.

I can't see ya'll holding on to Vick, just due to what he costs. Foles is a lot more reasonable and there is at least a chance of a future with him. At the same time, I would say that you guy's odds of drafting a QB high have at least tripled.
nephillymike
I saw the press conf and I thought he hit all the right notes. He also did the same on the interview with Cataldi today.

A refreshing change.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 18 2013, 05:39 PM) *
I saw the press conf and I thought he hit all the right notes. He also did the same on the interview with Cataldi today.

A refreshing change.

He certainly seems to have the personality for this town.
JaxEagle
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 17 2013, 06:23 PM) *
I just read the most satisfying thing I've seen yet. Sorry if already posted.

Frankly, both McNabb and Vick were absolutely atrocious with regards to sacks. It was McNabb's worst trait, even beyond his average mid-range passing.

If Kelly can instill this mindset in our QB, whoever it is, I expect good things. Sacks kill drives. It's that simple.

My excitement is growing.

Source

Good stuff. Confirms other reports I've read. Thanks!!
Zero
Link to video of press conference for those who haven't seen it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.