Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Didn't Gruden almost take a job with Kelly?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
I read that Gruden almost agreed to become Kelly's OC in Oregon before his wife put the nix on it. If Grudog wants back in the NFL maybe he would be a good transition hire. It's Kelly's offense so it wouldn't matter if he left after a year to be a HC and he'd bring some NFL HC experience along with him.
bebina
QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 17 2013, 08:34 AM) *
I read that Gruden almost agreed to become Kelly's OC in Oregon before his wife put the nix on it. If Grudog wants back in the NFL maybe he would be a good transition hire. It's Kelly's offense so it wouldn't matter if he left after a year to be a HC and he'd bring some NFL HC experience along with him.

Grudens not leaving his cushy ESPN gig where he complimenst every friggin players and offers little analysis to play second fiddle.

We can hope though right.I think Kelly will be fine just hope that he gets someone with NFL exp. on his staff to help him out a little.
Zero
From Ray-the-Diddy:
Kelly didn’t play in the NFL. He has never coached in the NFL. He worked his way up the coaching ladder from Columbia to New Hampshire to Johns Hopkins to Oregon and won at every stop, but the NFL is a different game. The players are different, the business side is different. Free agency, the draft, the players’ union, salary cap. It is all different.
For someone new to it, like Kelly, it is important he have people around him who have been there and done that, guys who have been through the NFL wars and can steer him in the right direction. He may be a very smart fellow, but he is walking into a new room and he doesn’t have all the answers. He will need to have some experienced lieutenants to fill in the blanks.

OC is a perfect place for this, IMO. Whether it's Gruden, Billick or someone else who has NFL HC aspirations. If Kelly is regarded as the innovator that apparently Belicheck and others think he is then there should be no shortage of good NFL people who would want to learn from him ... right?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.