Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chip Kelly or Gus Bradley
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
Who would you rather they have hired, Chip or Gus?

I would have preferred Gus.

I think NFL experience is big.

That being said, I'm happy for them that they got the man they wanted and stayed after him.
mcnabbulous
Gus, and he was apparently the Eagles #2. I'm happy though, mostly because I'm just excited about the unknowns.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 16 2013, 05:45 PM) *
Who would you rather they have hired, Chip or Gus?

Gus.

I'll watch next season with an open mind, but I think Gus could've immediately turned this thing around, while with Chip we're probably going to have major scheme and personnel changes, and if it doesn't work out then we're totally fucked. My money is on another Spurrier-esque NFL venture - but as I said, I'm at least excited to see what next year brings, for the first time in a few years.

Oh well.
Zero
Gus.

I'm concerned about NFL experience but if they hire a coordinator or Assistant HC with good creds and NFL experience I'll feel better. That said, didn't Jimmy Johnson go to Dallas with almost all college coaches?

I don't think Gus would have fixed things this year but would have changed the culture which is what's most needed. But, Gargano made an interesting point today stating that we will probably never again see the NFL we grew to love with smash mouth hitting, etc. The whole concussion issue is going to force more rules in favor of the offense and that's Kelly's forte.

Now he needs to grab an innovative DC.
mcnabbulous
If we really are targeting that DC from Georgia, it's interesting that both UGA and Oregon have viable top-10 pass rushing OLB's.
D Rock
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jan 16 2013, 11:53 PM) *
Gus.

I'll watch next season with an open mind, but I think Gus could've immediately turned this thing around, while with Chip we're probably going to have major scheme and personnel changes, and if it doesn't work out then we're totally fucked. My money is on another Spurrier-esque NFL venture - but as I said, I'm at least excited to see what next year brings, for the first time in a few years.

Oh well.

My feelings exactly.
make_it_rain
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jan 16 2013, 06:53 PM) *
I'm at least excited to see what next year brings, for the first time in a few years.

Oh well.

Basically this. Initially, I wasn't really happy with the hiring, but I really don't follow college football so I don't know enough to make the same trite "OMG HE HAS A GIMMICK OFFENSE THAT WONT WORK IN THE NFL !!" comments that have been polluting the eagles boards and talk radio for the last two weeks.

I do know that he is something DIFFERENT, he likes to run a LOT of plays, and HE RUNS THE BALL!!!!!!

That alone is enough to get me excited, even if it doesn't pan out.

BTW House, it's been well over a month now, you can remove the Dick Morris signature, unless you feel like keeping it up cool.gif
chuckp
Chip, can't wait to see him succeed and shut up all the doubters and he is our coach, although I would have been real happy with Gus to.
Eyrie
Kelly has a bigger upside than Bradley and a worse downside.

In arguing that we should jettison Reid I was always careful to acknowledge that we would do well to replace him with someone of a similar calibre. If Kelly works out, then we have done just that (and hopefully better).
xsv
I'm onboard with Chip if he develops Foles or another tall, smart pocket passer.

I'm less enthusiastic about running an offense where the QB running is the biggest threat, like what we had with Randall, Donovan and Vick.
Phits
I prefer a dual threat QB. A QB that can rip off chunks of yards with his legs as well as his arm.
samaroo
I just want to win again, and put a trophy in the case. If we use a mobile, Vick-type to do it, fine. If we use a statue, Bledsoe-type, fine. I just want to win.
mcnabbulous
My preference (and this may seem obvious) is the Rodgers/Luck model. A guy that is throw first, without question, but has the athleticism and field awareness to run for 10-20 yards when the defense isn't careful.
samaroo
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 17 2013, 08:13 PM) *
My preference (and this may seem obvious) is the Rodgers/Luck model. A guy that is throw first, without question, but has the athleticism and field awareness to run for 10-20 yards when the defense isn't careful.

I think this may be most people's type... biggrin.gif
GQSmooth
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jan 17 2013, 03:12 PM) *
Kelly has a bigger upside than Bradley and a worse downside.

In arguing that we should jettison Reid I was always careful to acknowledge that we would do well to replace him with someone of a similar calibre. If Kelly works out, then we have done just that (and hopefully better).

Eyrie sums it up quite well. I have to admit I initially was not happy with the idea of Kelly because I felt he was "gimmicky" and his lack of NFL experience was concerning. But the more I read about Kelly and study what he is doing, the more I realize he is at the forefront of a revolution in football. Pretty much everyone on this board knows there are schools of though in the NFL about how you design plays and attack. There is Gillman, Walsh, Perkins and you can go back to Paul Brown. Chip Kelly when it is all said and done will belong in that sentence.

There was an article (I believe from Boston Globe, if I can find it again Ill link it Boston Globe Article) I was reading about the Patriots and their hurry up offense. The principles the Patriots are using came from Kelly. This article broke it down better than anything I have read. When it comes to the hurry up the WCO didn't translate well because the play calls are so wordy (Remember Jon Gruden and Cam Newton on ESPN QB camp? Newton couldn't handle the WCO wordiness. He stated he just gets one word from sidelines. Guess what Auburn and Cam Newton were ahead of the trend). It allows us to fully understand why Reid couldn't get plays in quickly and had to waste timeouts just to get plays in. Its why in the biggest game of his life the team was moving like molasses when time on the clock was ticking and every second mattered. The Gilman system on the other hand uses numbers to describe the route trees the receivers are supposed to run. But even in this system other identifiers are needed because with three receivers going into patterns and with there route tree possibillities there are over 59,000 possible combinations. What Chip Kelly has done is he has broken down all his play calls to just one word. With that one word everybody on the field knows what they are supposed to do. We lived through Reid forcing his system and passing even though it wasnt working and safeties were playing deep. Guess what those days are over, Chip values the running game, he will take what the defense gives you. If they play 2 deep safeties like Tampa-2 (Cowboys new defense) guess what he is going to run the ball. They bring there safeties up to stop the run Kelly is going to pass. Kelly is going to attack a defense's weakness and he will create. My only concern with Kelly is the defensive side of the ball. Who does he bring in as DC? Is he going to be innovative on that side of the ball? In my mind the key to his success will be what he does with the defense.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.