Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Interesting stuff on Kelly
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
I'm sure many of you may have read this piece from Lawlor already, but I had to go back and read it again to make myself feel a little better about what I perceive could be the "flavor of the month" coach. Aside from the known fact that he's never coached in the NFL, here's a couple of things I found interesting:
Ask Reid about football and he'll tell you it is all about matchups. Kelly will largely agree. The difference is that Reid focused on his beloved passing game. Kelly sought out ways to create favorable running situations. Kelly loved the passing game earlier in his career, but the coaches around him preached the running game and that has been Kelly's focus in the last decade.

Some say Kelly is arrogant. He's picky about jobs. He's picky about how things are done. He's very demanding. Those around him think Kelly is more confident than arrogant. He's always seeking out other coaches for ideas on how to improve his team. Kelly isn't married to a specific offense or scheme. He does what works. Kelly certainly believes in himself and his ideas, but not blindly. If it isn't working, he will make changes. He does have a lot of self confidence.

Kelly won't come to the NFL thinking he knows more than the other coaches. Kelly has met with NFL staffs over the years. Initially it was to learn. Over time he became the lecturer so that they could learn. He still takes away whatever nuggets of wisdom that he can. Kelly loves learning the game of football and still sees himself as a student of the game.

I'm sure he'd love to have an athletic QB like RG3, Russell Wilson, or Colin Kaepernick to run his full playbook, but the key for Kelly is to have a smart QB who is accurate.

Kelly isn't a "plays" guy. Spurrier was. Reid and Mornhinweg definitely are. Kelly will tell you to focus on players, not plays. Think back to the Skins game. The Eagles threw the ball to TE Evan Moore at one of the most critical moments in the game. The design of the play worked. Moore was open. The pass was accurate. Should have been a TD. The problem is that football isn't chess. You can't think of the players as pieces who will do as you wish. You must account for the human element. That generally means focusing on your star players. Get them the ball in crunch time. Don't focus on surprising the other team. Out-execute them.

Kelly hates sacks. His philosophy is to blame them on the QB. Always. Kelly thinks the QB should get rid of the ball. 2nd and 10 is better than 2nd and 17, as he loves to point out. Oregon was in the Top 12 in fewest sacks allowed from 2009-2011. This year they are down at 37th. Having a Freshman QB will do that to you. Oregon has rushed the passer well in his time as HC.

I think Kelly would fit in well with most of the Eagles personnel. He loves RBs. He'd have a great group to work with. Kelly prefers athletic blockers to massive guys. He likes TEs that can catch the ball. He would find a way to use DeSean Jackson, but it seems Kelly prefers bigger WRs. The one obvious hole is at QB. Kelly could find his own guy, as most coaches prefer to do. Foles might be part of the short term plan, but likely would not be the long term guy. He could be your backup and that would be just fine.
Edit: Added this:
Chipís offense is built on the run game. He does like to run some read-option. In order for that to be effective you need a QB who can run a little, but it is the threat of the QB running that is the key to freezing the unblocked DE. That allows the RB to have space. If Chip can find a QB who can occasionally run for 5 yards, he can do a lot of what he does. If he has the right pocket passer, heíll use that guy to pass and his RBs to run. Chip will build based on his personnel.I do expect to see plenty of no-huddle. Chip wants to run a lot of plays. He wants to put pressure on the defense. This isnít always easy on his defense, but donít think that Chip is purely a one-sided coach. Heís not Mike Martz. Chip has ideas, but isnít stubborn. Heíll adjust to fit the NFL game.

Eyrie
Good post - can you copy it to the offseason thread at the head of the board please?

Liked the bits about accurate QBs that avoid sacks - sounds like Vick's taxi fare out of here whilst Foles gets a year to show what he can do.
Zero
Don Banks:
... before the Kelly era in Philadelphia has really even begun, let's dispel one misconception that has already sprung up around him. According to sources who have watched him work up close, Kelly is anything but the Spurrier-like offensive genius who cares little about the other parts of the game. He's known as a tough guy, and one who can be demanding and exacting on his players, at every position. He wants his team to play smart and fast-paced at all times, and he holds people accountable for mistakes. Far from being a warm and fuzzy "player's coach,'' Kelly takes a tough-minded approach to the game.

Those who know him say Kelly's confidence and go-for-it attitude will permeate his entire roster, and reinvigorate an Eagles organization that largely became too staid and predictable in the late years of the Andy Reid era.
Eyrie
Links to his staff from the official site

Co-ordinators

Offensive assistants and conditioning

Defensive assistants and special teams
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.