Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Defensive Coordinator
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
mcnabbulous
This is the first rumor I've seen.

@jimdunaway: Chip Kelly' top target as DC at Eagles could be Georgia's Todd Grantham per @MattLombardo975 > I've heard 3-4 switch likely

Don't know anything about Grantham. He was an assistant in the pros for a bit. Anyone?

HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 16 2013, 01:28 PM) *
This is the first rumor I've seen.

@jimdunaway: Chip Kelly' top target as DC at Eagles could be Georgia's Todd Grantham per @MattLombardo975 > I've heard 3-4 switch likely

Don't know anything about Grantham. He was an assistant in the pros for a bit. Anyone?

I think the last thing we need to do on defense is go 3-4. We actually have a decent line, and while our LB corps is as good as it's been for many years, we really only have 2 good LBs, and a couple serviceable ones.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jan 16 2013, 02:04 PM) *
I think the last thing we need to do on defense is go 3-4. We actually have a decent line, and while our LB corps is as good as it's been for many years, we really only have 2 good LBs, and a couple serviceable ones.

I would have to think we would swing both (Cole and Graham) of our DE's out to 3-4 OLB. Kendricks and Ryans in the middle.

The big thing would be whether we could get a big body at NT. Cox definitely can translate to DE in a 3-4.

I'll reserve judgement.
HobbEs
Some random thoughts on a switch to a 3-4:

FWIW Jenkins has already played 3-4 end with the Packers.

I can't see either Kendricks or Ryans in the middle (Kendricks being too small and Ryans not adjusting when Houston wen to the 3-4).

Is Antonio Dixon big enough to play NT?

Cole & Graham played 3-4 OLB in college...not worried about them switching back.

We could potentially have to find a NT, 2 ILBs, and rebuild the secondary. That's a lot of positions for one offseason.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Jan 16 2013, 02:23 PM) *
I can't see either Kendricks or Ryans in the middle (Kendricks being too small and Ryans not adjusting when Houston wen to the 3-4).

These are both valid concerns.

Not sure, but I liked him when he was here.

We could potentially have to find a NT, 2 ILBs, and rebuild the secondary. That's a lot of positions for one offseason.

I don't expect us to be very good next year, one way or another.
VICKtory
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 16 2013, 02:28 PM) *
These are both valid concerns.

Not sure, but I liked him when he was here.

I don't expect us to be very good next year, one way or another.

I like the idea of Landri playing nose, someone who won't make a ton of plays but goes 100% every play and will do the job of a nose which is to eliminate lanes
HobbEs
I like the idea of Landri playing nose, someone who won't make a ton of plays but goes 100% every play and will do the job of a nose which is to eliminate lanes

I don't know if Landri is big enough to play on the nose...but then again Ratliff in Dallas isn't the biggest guy either.
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 16 2013, 07:07 PM) *
I would have to think we would swing both (Cole and Graham) of our DE's out to 3-4 OLB. Kendricks and Ryans in the middle.

The big thing would be whether we could get a big body at NT. Cox definitely can translate to DE in a 3-4.

I'll reserve judgement.

Meco was available to us in large part because he was not effective as a 3/4 mike when houston made the switch. He himself spoke out about how much he's a fish out of water in that scheme.

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Jan 16 2013, 04:11 PM) *
Meco was available to us in large part because he was not effective as a 3/4 mike when houston made the switch. He himself spoke out about how much he's a fish out of water in that scheme.

Oh I remember. Don't see any alternative other than to have him play there if they do switch though.
VICKtory
Kendricks could probably play inside, he played middle in college. Plus in most 3-4 defenses one of the backers is smaller and more mobile used more in coverage, while the other is a typical large run stopper
Pbfan
QUOTE (VICKtory @ Jan 16 2013, 05:26 PM) *
Kendricks could probably play inside, he played middle in college. Plus in most 3-4 defenses one of the backers is smaller and more mobile used more in coverage, while the other is a typical large run stopper

I think this is huge because I am weary of Kellys ability to run a defense in the NFL. I dont know if we have the LB talent right now to run a 3-4. If we were to switch the DC needs to be a good blitzer. We need a reboot of JJ!
samaroo
QUOTE (Pbfan @ Jan 16 2013, 08:41 PM) *
We need a reboot of JJ!

We have for a while, and likely will for a while more... tongue.gif
bebina
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Jan 16 2013, 03:23 PM) *
Some random thoughts on a switch to a 3-4:

FWIW Jenkins has already played 3-4 end with the Packers.

Cole & Graham played 3-4 OLB in college...not worried about them switching back.

A move to a 3-4 system would most def. take 2 years. But Kendricks when he was coming out was billed as a attacking 3-4 ILB. He played that position in college. I understand the difference between college and the pro's but just giving you some background according to the scouts.

Ryans is a big question

Dixon is def. big enough to play Nose Tackle but he seems more like a backup than a starter.

I'm not so sure about Cole but Graham could def translate to a 3-4. they would most likely need another starter alongside him.

Jenkins/Thronton can play opposite Cox

The secondary needs to be completely overhauled.

So I would update your list to NT (starter), DE, 3 OLBs (1 starter) , and complete overhual of secondary. Sounds like a 2 yr job to me.
TGryn
The choice is obvious cool.gif . He's got extensive NFL experience, family ties to Philly, and knows the NFC East:

Zero
huh.gif ohmy.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif
samaroo
QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 17 2013, 09:15 AM) *
huh.gif ohmy.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif

...too...many...emoticons...

VICKtory
QUOTE (TGryn @ Jan 17 2013, 08:13 AM) *
The choice is obvious cool.gif . He's got extensive NFL experience, family ties to Philly, and knows the NFC East:

I've been contemplating myself if I would like Ryan as our DC. Wouldn't mind a little bit of fire for the defensive side of the ball, as much as I hate to admit it he's a damn good coach, if Kelly likes him I would certainly be in favor of that hiring
Zero
QUOTE (VICKtory @ Jan 17 2013, 11:04 AM) *
... as much as I hate to admit it he's a damn good coach

He's a legend in his own mind.
bebina
QUOTE (VICKtory @ Jan 17 2013, 12:04 PM) *
I've been contemplating myself if I would like Ryan as our DC. Wouldn't mind a little bit of fire for the defensive side of the ball, as much as I hate to admit it he's a damn good coach, if Kelly likes him I would certainly be in favor of that hiring

Damn good coach at never putting out a top 10 defense. He is nowhere near his father or brother.
samaroo
QUOTE (bebina @ Jan 17 2013, 07:49 PM) *
Damn good coach at never putting out a top 10 defense. He is nowhere near his father or brother.

This.

Plus, he's a douche.
bebina
QUOTE (samaroo @ Jan 17 2013, 07:54 PM) *
This.

Plus, he's a douche.

Plus he endorses that tourist trap known as Pat's Steaks.

samaroo
QUOTE (bebina @ Jan 17 2013, 08:33 PM) *
Plus he endorses that tourist trap known as Pat's Steaks.

Must be a Geno's fan... tongue.gif
Zero
After that debacle last year, last two years on the Eagles D I sincerely hope they bring in an NFL coach for the DC. We heard multiple reports that players never bought into the defense and that was probably the biggest reason they sucked.
JaxEagle
QUOTE (TGryn @ Jan 17 2013, 08:13 AM) *

Honestly I don't want him even if he was good. I'm not saying he is terrible. Regardless, no thanks. I'm not into turd characters.
GQSmooth
Switch to the 3-4 probably makes sense in the long term because its what the top defenses in college are running (Ala, Stanford, Georgia, ND?). This gives the team access to the best talent pool in the draft. With Donahoe acting as a consultant for the team hopefully we can incorporate Pittsburgh's evaluation systems for LBs. I'd like to see Chip Kelly take a look at Mason at Stanford for DC since he successfully shut down Kelly's offense. If the players on defense don't buy in they are cut it's that simple. Because of the culture change Kelly is bringing in I think there will be a huge purge for younger guys without experience in the NFL anyway.
_KAMELOT_
I only like Graham as a 3-4 OLB. Every other guy is more suited as a 4-3 player, with the lone exception of Jenkins, who has played as a 3-4 DE. I don't believe we can turn our D into a 3-4 defense in a single offseason.

EDIT: Forgot to add that we should have signed Marinelli.
Dreagon
Isn't Lovie Smith still available? Of course, he would probably be pricey for just a coordinator.

The Ryan suggestion is funny biggrin.gif although in all fairness he was the least of our problems last year. Besides, didn't the Rams already pick him up?

I think it would be interesting seeing you guys go to a 3-4 just as we're getting ready to go back to a 4-3. I guess each system has its merits, but I've always preferred the 4-3. Of course that might just be because it was historically our defense before Parcells came in and changed it. Still, it just seemed like the 3-4 was always a little softer against the run when it mattered.

Oh well, it will be interesting to see what you guys do.
_KAMELOT_
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Jan 21 2013, 04:04 AM) *
Isn't Lovie Smith still available? Of course, he would probably be pricey for just a coordinator.

Smith said he's not interested in coordinator jobs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.