Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Uh WTF - Mort reports Chip Kelly is the new coach!
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Pages: 1, 2
mcnabbulous
Per Twitter.

https://twitter.com/mortreport/status/291590864059392000

Didn't see that coming.
mcnabbulous
Confirmed by multiple sources
chuckp
This has been a crazy ride lol, lets go Kelly
VICKtory
Saw that too, must say I'm rather disappointed. Even more so than before because he really turned his back on Oregon after saying he would come back
VICKtory
Saw that too, must say I'm rather disappointed. Even more so than before because he really turned his back on Oregon after saying he would come back
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (VICKtory @ Jan 16 2013, 12:15 PM) *

God I hate Jeff Lurie

mcnabbulous
I'm skeptical about his system, but it's going to be fun to see. I like the promise it offers, if nothing else.

The Oregon stuff means little to me. Frankly, he's likely leaving them in a mess with sanctions, which is my bigger problem with it.

I'm excited to see this new chapter unfold.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jan 16 2013, 12:16 PM) *
God I hate Jeff Lurie

I don't get the hate. I'm as skeptical as anyone, but Kelly was the biggest name on the market. A lot of brilliant football minds have consulted with him about his offensive philosophies.

Lurie inevitably paid a fortune to bring him here. Like I said, I'm skeptical, but this is an aggressive and exciting move.
TGryn
Now confirmed on http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/
D Rock
Fire Chip Kelly!!!

Looks like more of them "tricky" ole Iggles.

mad.gif

I really wanted Gus and his "line up and beat the man across from you" mentality. Instead, we've decided to stay on the "fool 'em and trick 'em" nonsense of the last regime.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOO
D Rock
double post
DuckLover
Wow! As a long-time Oregon fan, this is a real shocker. I thought he was coming back.

Here's an article from a local Eugene site that has been doing great analysis of Kelly's "Blur" offense. Might want to check it out so Eagles fans will know what to expect http://tinyurl.com/bfuoqbu

DL
CT_Eagle
I am a bit disapointed in this pick. I really have my doubts about Kelly's success at Oregon translating to the NFL. I just don't see his offense succeding against an NFL defense. Hopefully he brings in some rock solid coordinators for the offense and defense.
Zero
Gawd, I hope this isn't embarassing!
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Jan 16 2013, 12:27 PM) *
Fire Chip Kelly!!!

Looks like more of them "tricky" ole Iggles.

mad.gif

I really wanted Gus and his "line up and beat the man across from you" mentality. Instead, we've decided to stay on the "fool 'em and trick 'em" nonsense of the last regime.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOO

This is my biggest disappointment with the hire. I'll reserve judgement until we see which type of defense he brings in. If we're a bit more smash mouth on that side of the ball, I'll be okay.
TGryn
Rick
Not happy at all...
mcnabbulous
Man, you guys are a pessimistic bunch.
navyeagles
not sure how I feel, this means two things,

Either we are keeping vick
or
we are drafting a very mobile Qb in the draft..

Sorry Nick Foles, you will NOT fit the Chip Kelly Offense.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 16 2013, 12:41 PM) *

Not me. I am very optimistic. Give him a chance, let's see what he can do.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Jan 16 2013, 12:46 PM) *

cheers.gif

This hire isn't about the Oregon offense. It's hoping that he will bring his innovation to the pros.
navyeagles
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 16 2013, 12:41 PM) *

I might feel a little better once I see his staff... or worse...
VICKtory
QUOTE (navyeagles @ Jan 16 2013, 12:44 PM) *

or

Not necessarily, it's been said multiple times that he will adapt his offense to the NFL
D Rock
QUOTE (Phits @ Jan 16 2013, 05:46 PM) *

Of course. We have little choice in the matter.

But on the surface, this guy strikes me as a little too much like Dandy Andy in that he seems want to trick a defense rather than beat em.

Who knows? It might work. It might not. Obviously, we'll be rooting for it to work. Personally, I would have preferred to go with a guy who puts less emphasis on scheme and more on personnel, fundamentals, and execution. You know . . . "beat the man across from you."

Looks like we get to watch another chubby white dood try to out smart the league. Been there. Done that.

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Jan 16 2013, 12:56 PM) *
Personally, I would have preferred to go with a guy who puts less emphasis on scheme and more on personnel, fundamentals, and execution.

I actually think it's possible this is the case. He always emphasizes matching scheme with personnel. Hopefully it holds true.

VICKtory
QUOTE (TGryn @ Jan 16 2013, 12:35 PM) *

This made me feel a little better. Interested to see what he does with our group of guys and who he brings in.

Also even though he's an offensive guy, I'm curious to see if he brings Oregon's 3-4 with him to Philly
Zero
QUOTE (navyeagles @ Jan 16 2013, 12:44 PM) *

or

Yeah, but in that clip Kelly said "nobody is married to an offense. If I had the guys to run a power "I" I'd do that." I'm worried about this hire but I keep reading that he's flexible and will work with the players he has.
mcnabbulous
At the very least, you can have fun looking at the box score for a game in which a Chip Kelly led offense faced new Cowboy's DC, Monte Kiffin's defense:

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=323080030

63 points
730 total yards
Zero
QUOTE (navyeagles @ Jan 16 2013, 12:52 PM) *
I might feel a little better once I see his staff... or worse...

Could that be what all this interviewing has been about ... not all, but alot of it. I can see him bringing in a veteran coach to be a coordinator, especially a previous NFL HC. Follow the Reid/Dowhower plan.
navyeagles
QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 16 2013, 01:14 PM) *
Could that be what all this interviewing has been about ... not all, but alot of it. I can see him bringing in a veteran coach to be a coordinator, especially a previous NFL HC. Follow the Reid/Dowhower plan.

I really dont think so because, not many coaches are going to leave there present job to be an assistant somewhere else. They were being considering for HC position because they have done well as an assistant, they wont start all over for another team when for the most part they are have something established, hence why they were interviewed.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 16 2013, 01:14 PM) *

I'm actually thinking the interviewing was about Kelly wanting Vick as his QB, as some have said Foles really isn't meant for his kind of offense.

My #1 choice was Bradley and I really thought we were getting him, so I'm disappointed.

But on the other hand, at least we get a fresh Eagles team next year with a new system, I'll certainly be more excited about this next season than I was going into this one.
Zero
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jan 16 2013, 01:21 PM) *
... at least we get a fresh Eagles team next year with a new system, I'll certainly be more excited about this next season than I was going into this one.

True that!
Zero
QUOTE (navyeagles @ Jan 16 2013, 01:21 PM) *
I really dont think so because, not many coaches are going to leave there present job to be an assistant somewhere else. They were being considering for HC position because they have done well as an assistant, they wont start all over for another team when for the most part they are have something established, hence why they were interviewed.

Sure, unless the interviews were searching for the names they would pursue as their coaches.
Birdman420
QUOTE (navyeagles @ Jan 16 2013, 01:44 PM) *

or

exactly my thoughts, My guess is that we are keeping vick for the duration of his contract
Birdman420
QUOTE (VICKtory @ Jan 16 2013, 01:54 PM) *
Not necessarily, it's been said multiple times that he will adapt his offense to the NFL

oh lord, Now we will have to hear lurie take over reids spot in the post-game press conference, "I've got to put my head coach in a better possition to win"

I'm sorry but one thing the eagles have done over the last few years is put their staff outside of their comfort zone
TGryn
QUOTE (D Rock @ Jan 16 2013, 10:56 AM) *
But on the surface, this guy strikes me as a little too much like Dandy Andy in that he seems want to trick a defense rather than beat em.
If you have the personnel to do that (beat the other team straight-up), the coach & scheme really doesn't matter. A guy who's a better at Xs-and-Os might even up the playing field when you don't have optimal personnel, which will be the situation here for at least the next couple of years seeing as we went 4-12 on merit.
Eyrie
Mixed views on this hire, so fingers crossed this works out for us (and him).

I like us getting the hot candidate but my feeling is that Kelly will be boom or bust. Consolation is that if it's the latter then in 2014 or 2015 we can go after O'Brien (if he continues to do well).

And I don't like the suggestion on here that Kelly will keep Vick.

Be interesting to see what he does regarding co-ordinators. Lovie Smith as assistant HC and DC anyone?

canadianeagle
I'm cautiously optimistic about this signing. He has huge boom or bust potential. One thing that I am pleased about is he consistently runs a 60:40 run pass ratio. With his hyped offensive genius, he should be able to work wonders having two backs like Brown and Shady.

Any chance Lovie comes to town?
Birdman420
QUOTE (canadianeagle @ Jan 16 2013, 03:34 PM) *
I'm cautiously optimistic about this signing. He has huge boom or bust potential. One thing that I am pleased about is he consistently runs a 60:40 run pass ratio. With his hyped offensive genius, he should be able to work wonders having two backs like Brown and Shady.

Any chance Lovie comes to town?

Don't forget Lewis, To me he's like a darren sproles type back and I've had my eye on him since his rookie year. I guess he messed up off the field this past year because he didn't get much playing time until he scored a TD during the redskins game when shady was out.

We have three very good running backs right now
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jan 16 2013, 02:33 PM) *
Lovie Smith as assistant HC and DC anyone?

Just saw that he'll get paid for the year to not coach, due to getting fired in Chicago, so he may sit out a year and try to get a HC gig next year.
BirdsWinBaby
I will reserve judgment for now. They picked a guy now it will be months before he shows me anything... Wake me then

In regard to Vick it should be noted again that just because Kelly might prefer a mobile guy, that has nothing to do with mike Vick's contract squeeze

he has not played a full season for the birds, sucks ass when he does play, and (most importantly) lurie is on the hook for top dollar if he keeps Vick. Since Vick won't take a pay cut it doesn't matter if his dad is selected as the new HC...Vick is done here

Besides didn't I just see how the amazing Kelly will adapt to the players he has? Keeping Vick is a desperation move that already got one coach fired and apprently isn't necessary anyway
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jan 16 2013, 02:33 PM) *
Mixed views on this hire, so fingers crossed this works out for us (and him).

I like us getting the hot candidate but my feeling is that Kelly will be boom or bust. Consolation is that if it's the latter then in 2014 or 2015 we can go after O'Brien (if he continues to do well).

And I don't like the suggestion on here that Kelly will keep Vick.

Be interesting to see what he does regarding co-ordinators. Lovie Smith as assistant HC and DC anyone?

Maybe it's just me, but would an experienced NFL HC/OC/DC WANT to work for a big name college 'genius?'

I bet he'll get his coordinators from college.
D Rock
QUOTE (Birdman420 @ Jan 16 2013, 07:23 PM) *
I'm sorry but one thing the eagles have done over the last few years is put their staff outside of their comfort zone

Nothing could be further from the truth. In fact, it's the complete opposite.

They let Mudd change the blocking scheme entirely. They let Washburn run his gimmick defensive front with complete impunity. They supported Reid going against conventional wisdom and allowing Castillo to coordinate the defense which according to Juan, was exactly what he wanted. Did the front office mandate that Morningwood run a more balanced attack? Or did they let him stay in his "comfort zone" and go all pass happy week after week?

If they failed in this area at all, it was in allowing these 'tards to do as they please for so damn long. That's a far cry from putting "their staff outside of their comfort zone."

Just sayin...
D Rock
QUOTE (Birdman420 @ Jan 16 2013, 07:40 PM) *
Don't forget Lewis, To me he's like a darren sproles type back and I've had my eye on him since his rookie year. I guess he messed up off the field this past year because he didn't get much playing time until he scored a TD during the redskins game when shady was out.

We have three very good running backs right now

Lewis is just a guy. There's nothing special about his game.
HobbEs
Maybe it's just me, but would an experienced NFL HC/OC/DC WANT to work for a big name college 'genius?'

I bet he'll get his coordinators from college.

It's well documented that a number of experienced NFL coaches have gone to Kelly to learn from him. I don't think he'll have any problems filling out a staff.
Pbfan
he's a schemer though. I would have wanted him for a OC, not the leader of the team. What are we gonna do for defense!? Is he gonna call the D? I am very very worried about this.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Pbfan @ Jan 16 2013, 07:36 PM) *
he's a schemer though. I would have wanted him for a OC, not the leader of the team. What are we gonna do for defense!? Is he gonna call the D? I am very very worried about this.

Why would he call the D? From what I've read, he'll try to hire smart people to run it and let them do their job.
Zero
QUOTE (BirdsWinBaby @ Jan 16 2013, 02:48 PM) *
They picked a guy now it will be months before he shows me anything... Wake me then

I don't know about you, but I'm really interested in who he gets to work for him, especially coordinators but everyone. And, then I want to see how he deals with the existing players, Vick, et al. Then, I'm stoked to see what they do in the draft. Then, it's going to be fun to see how he runs the OTAs, minis, etc. We'll have more this year because he's new.

I'm caffeinated ... sure, I'll wake ya.
Pbfan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 16 2013, 07:46 PM) *
Why would he call the D? From what I've read, he'll try to hire smart people to run it and let them do their job.

ok good. i figured maybe if he was gonna bring the 3-4 he'd want to
samaroo
Do you think Geno just rose up our draft boards?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.