Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is Roseman the problem?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
mcnabbulous
This may very well be a Banner hit piece, but the rumors are flying. Linkity

Rather, very different chatter has been growing in NFL circles for weeks. What's up with the Eagles job? Why don't guys want it? What are their concerns?

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone told me one esteemed coach or another advised one of the Eagles' top candidates not to take the job precisely because of Roseman's presence there. Roseman isn't the general manager they should tie their wagon to. It's clear Chip Kelly wasn't leaving Oregon for anywhere unless he had a large measure of control over the organization, and owner Jeffrey Lurie has already entrusted that to Roseman. There has been trepidation by some candidates to go all-in given the questions about this existing power structure.

I personally do think Howie is one of the big problems and I've thought so for quite some time. Regardless of whether it is fair or not, the NFL is a boys club and Howie didn't work his way through the system like most of the people at the top.

Lurie needs to take a long, hard look in the mirror and determine if Roseman's role with the franchise is truly what is best for the franchise.
nephillymike
I question this.

Did any of the three college guys decide not to come here b/c of him? I doubt it.

Who are the annonymous coaches that we want who are staying away?

It doesn't sound right.

Roseman was non committal in what his responsibilities were now and said they were in flux depending on who is hired.

Doesn't seem like a hinderance to me.

But there have been some who said that.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 14 2013, 01:09 PM) *
I question this.

Did any of the three college guys decide not to come here b/c of him? I doubt it.

There was at least a rumor that O'Brien stayed away because Belichick doesn't think highly of Roseman. Obviously I can't verify, but it was floated out there.

Who are the annonymous coaches that we want who are staying away?

It doesn't sound right.

We talked to Brian Billick. That in and of itself is concerning enough to me.

Roseman was non committal in what his responsibilities were now and said they were in flux depending on who is hired.

Huh? It's pretty clear he's the GM. What do you mean about "in flux?"

HobbEs
I've been told that Howie's role with the team was to write contracts and act as a go-between from Andy to Joe. Now that both Andy and Joe are gone Howie is being exposed...and your article may very well be right on point.

Lurie touted this opening as the best in the NFL a few weeks ago. It's looking more and more like the exact opposite. Someone will surely take the job. After all, there's only 30 like it in the whole world. My fear is that we'll end up with both a GM and HC that are in over their collective heads and it will set this franchise back decades. All this will come at the expense of the fans...and Lurie will have no one to blame but himself.
HobbEs
There was at least a rumor that O'Brien stayed away because Belichick doesn't think highly of Roseman. Obviously I can't verify, but it was floated out there.

I read that as well.

There was another rumor that Jon Gruden was spotted in Manayunk last week. I hope he was in for a Cloak & Dagger interview. I mean if you're going to talk to Billick you might as well talk to Gruden too. (Besides, he's my top choice for HC).
mcnabbulous
Fortunately I don't think a franchise can really be set back for decades given the quick turnaround. I do fear that we could have a few dark years ahead.

We need a real football guy leading our Front Office. Until we have that, we'll be a second rate organization.
Phits
I don't want the all-in-one HC/GM combination. If that means the Chip Kelly's of the world aren't interested in the HC role because they want more power...f*ck 'em....like Jigga man says "On to the Next One".

QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 14 2013, 12:52 PM) *
This may very well be a Banner hit piece, but the rumors are flying. Linkity

I personally do think Howie is one of the big problems and I've thought so for quite some time. Regardless of whether it is fair or not, the NFL is a boys club and Howie didn't work his way through the system like most of the people at the top.

Lurie needs to take a long, hard look in the mirror and determine if Roseman's role with the franchise is truly what is best for the franchise.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 14 2013, 01:26 PM) *
Fortunately I don't think a franchise can really be set back for decades given the quick turnaround. I do fear that we could have a few dark years ahead.

We need a real football guy leading our Front Office. Until we have that, we'll be a second rate organization.

We need competency leading the FO. The term "Real football guys" is a popular misconception that is tied to days past. It's a consumable league, players and coaches do as they please. All praise to the almighty dollar.

Besides, 'real football guys' only become respected after they win. Respect around the league is only important when you are looking for your next job. Bill Belichick was caught cheating, he is berated for running up the score.....I wonder if he is concerned with 'respect around the league'.
GQSmooth
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Jan 14 2013, 02:22 PM) *
I read that as well.

There was another rumor that Jon Gruden was spotted in Manayunk last week. I hope he was in for a Cloak & Dagger interview. I mean if you're going to talk to Billick you might as well talk to Gruden too. (Besides, he's my top choice for HC).

That cloak and dagger interview was with Rendell.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 14 2013, 01:13 PM) *

Huh? It's pretty clear he's the GM. What do you mean about "in flux?"

After the Reid firing press conference, Howie was answering questions afterward in a side session and reporters were trying to determine exactly what his responsibilities would be now that Reid was gone. Would HE have final say. Would HE do this and that. He came right out and said someting to the effect that it was not set in stone and was evolving depending on who they hired.

Again, it didn't seem like a power hungry guy with no flexibility at all. Just the opposite.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 14 2013, 03:59 PM) *
After the Reid firing press conference, Howie was answering questions afterward in a side session and reporters were trying to determine exactly what his responsibilities would be now that Reid was gone. Would HE have final say. Would HE do this and that. He came right out and said someting to the effect that it was not set in stone and was evolving depending on who they hired.

Again, it didn't seem like a power hungry guy with no flexibility at all. Just the opposite.

That's good to hear, but then again I wouldn't suspect to hear anything different directly from him.
D Rock
The Roseman thing is either a non issue or a minor issue as I see it.

Lurie has stated that the coach would answer to Lurie, and not Roseman. Roseman has said that it's not yet decided who would have "final say" on personnel matters, but at worst . . . it seems it would be a 50/50 sort of scenario.

Zero
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 14 2013, 01:26 PM) *

A sports journalist serving as GM for the NY Giants drafted: Eli Manning, Osi Umenyiora, Chris Snee, Justin Tuck, Mathias Kiwanuka, and Brandon Jacobs, as well as signing through free agency Antonio Pierce, Kareem McKenzie, Plaxico Burress, and Fred Robbins. He hired current head coach Tom Coughlin after the 2003 season dismissal of Jim Fassel. The Giants won a SB with Ernie Accorsi. (stolen from here)

I'm not saying Howie is a good GM or that he's another Accorsi only that I don't think one needs to be a "football man" to be a solid, consistent talent evaulator.
Zero
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 14 2013, 01:13 PM) *

Billick is a good football mind, why wouldn't a team in search of a new HC want to talk to him? I'm not interested in having him as the next coach, but we don't know the Eagles interviewed him for to be the coach, only that they talked to him. Seems reasonable to me.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 15 2013, 09:39 PM) *
A sports journalist serving as GM for the NY Giants drafted: Eli Manning, Osi Umenyiora, Chris Snee, Justin Tuck, Mathias Kiwanuka, and Brandon Jacobs, as well as signing through free agency Antonio Pierce, Kareem McKenzie, Plaxico Burress, and Fred Robbins. He hired current head coach Tom Coughlin after the 2003 season dismissal of Jim Fassel. The Giants won a SB with Ernie Accorsi. (stolen from here)

I'm not saying Howie is a good GM or that he's another Accorsi only that I don't think one needs to be a "football man" to be a solid, consistent talent evaulator.

Accorsi had been serving in the role of GM since the 70's. I'd hardly call them comparable.
Reality Fan
All these rumors are so damn ridiculous and what is worse is the latching on to them like they are fact particularly the ones about Roseman. Reid loved the guy and Reid is good friends with Belicheck. If O'brien wanted an NFL gig he would have taken one. He knows how bad it would look to jump ship now from Penn State, that is why he stayed. It would have been fair for him to go but the public pressure to succeed would have been brutal. The college coaches like him and Kelly have it too good at their schools and interviewing with NFL teams means more money at home.

Now on to these idiotic rumors from "league sources", if these rumors actually had some basis in fact then why do guys like Billick or Whisenhut even interview? Guys want this job, that is why. The length of this search is due to the FO trying to get it right without a snap decision. To suggest that these rumors have any more basis in fact is silly. Reid was on the verge of coaching the Cardinals according to "league sources" except he had not even interviewed for it.

I can't wait for them to hire a new coach just so all this stupidity stops.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 15 2013, 11:03 PM) *
All these rumors are so damn ridiculous and what is worse is the latching on to them like they are fact particularly the ones about Roseman.

I don't know that anyone is latching on to anything. It's message board fodder.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 15 2013, 10:15 PM) *
I don't know that anyone is latching on to anything. It's message board fodder.

But it is presented as if it is fact or at least highly likely. Some of that is done by the media who routinely contradict each other and themselves in the same article.

So much of the "reporting" is total BS that even the reporter knows is garbage before they report it.
Zero
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 15 2013, 09:01 PM) *
Accorsi had been serving in the role of GM since the 70's. I'd hardly call them comparable.

Well, he worked for Rozelle until 1975 after working for the Colts as a PR guy. The point really is that both guys had to start somewhere and neither guy started as a "football" guy. Again, that doesn't mean Howie will succeed but neither does it mean he will fail. But it sure seems like neither guy is a "football man" and I think that makes a fair comparison.
mcnabbulous
FWIW, according to Ian Rappaport, Roseman stayed in touch with Kelly and is the primary reason this deal got done.
Reality Fan
a glaring example of just how fucked up "league sources" are......total bullshit put out by lazy reporters just throwing shit against the wall because no one can prove them false without revealing their hand
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.