Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Eagles Approach To Hiring a head coach
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
FWIW, I have no problems with how they're going about it.

It's not their fault that all three NCAA coaches returned to college.

If they would have turned us down and went elsewhere in the NFL, then that is a problem.

I did not want anyone hired elsewhere as a HC anyway.

Gus Bradley, Eagles new head coach. Press conference Wed at noon.
Phits
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 13 2013, 04:22 PM) *
FWIW, I have no problems with how they're going about it.

It's not their fault that all three NCAA coaches returned to college.

If they would have turned us down and went elsewhere in the NFL, then that is a problem.

I did not want anyone hired elsewhere as a HC anyway.

Gus Bradley, Eagles new head coach. Press conference Wed at noon.

I'm good with that
mcnabbulous
Now I'm strictly on the "Anyone but Billick" train. I will struggle to enjoy Eagles football if that happens.
Zero
I read someplace that Bradley has a couple of high school age kids who he may be reluctant to move. Also, the way they lost today may leave him with a desire to finish what is started and go back to Seattle next year. I'll be happy if he's hired.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 13 2013, 04:42 PM) *
I read someplace that Bradley has a couple of high school age kids who he may be reluctant to move. Also, the way they lost today may leave him with a desire to finish what is started and go back to Seattle next year. I'll be happy if he's hired.

It's possible. It's risky business for a guy to turn down opportunities when they are a hot commodity. Those windows often close fast. I do remember Spags doing it.
nephillymike
One clarification.

I do not believe that college coaches with no NFL experience is a winning NFL HC formula.

Maybe there are stats that show that.

So, while I don't blame them for approaching those they wanted, even if the candidates decided to stay in school, I am glad we didn't get any of them b/c not sure that's a winning formula.

College HC WITH NFL experience, different story.
Zero
I raised this point once before ... because the Eagles make an appointment and have a meeting with a potential prospect, does it necessarily mean they've interviewed him for the HC vacancy? I believe they tried to hire O'Brien and Chip Kelly but I don't know if they necessarily were trying to hire Brien Kelly or Billick.

Maybe I'm giving this group too much credit, but they may just be looking for as much information as they can possibly get on what a good coach looks like. Remember all the talks with Jimmy Johnson before they hired Reid? As I recall those talks were described as "picking his brain" or something to that effect.

Maybe the "arrogance" is now in Cleveland and KC. I'm hoping I'm right and Jeff, Howie and Smeagol(ensky) have their feet grounded and are doing this the right way and not just jumping at names.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 13 2013, 07:24 PM) *
One clarification.

I do not believe that college coaches with no NFL experience is a winning NFL HC formula.

Maybe there are stats that show that.

So, while I don't blame them for approaching those they wanted, even if the candidates decided to stay in school, I am glad we didn't get any of them b/c not sure that's a winning formula.

College HC WITH NFL experience, different story.

The history of the NFL is littered with hot college coaches who flamed out in the NFL but recent history with Saban, Petrino, Butch Davis et al tells us it is a huge gamble with Harbaugh being the exception but he had a long playing career in the league so he has some experience, especially since he was a QB. Lets not forget Spurrier, that should stop all the madness by itself.

I want someone with a record of success and experience.....
samaroo
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 14 2013, 12:45 AM) *
The history of the NFL is littered with hot college coaches who flamed out in the NFL but recent history with Saban, Petrino, Butch Davis et al tells us it is a huge gamble with Harbaugh being the exception but he had a long playing career in the league so he has some experience, especially since he was a QB. Lets not forget Spurrier, that should stop all the madness by itself.

I want someone with a record of success and experience.....

Amen to all of this.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.