Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Not throwing stones here...
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
JaxEagle
Ok, so I was gone for a few years and things are different for me from the days that I used to post a couple dozen times per day. Anyway, I am not trying to be negative here, but has this board tailed off a little bit? Lots of regulars missing. Have lots of people just disappeared like I did? Lately, I post and then check back a day later and my posts have only dropped a few slots on the board. I know it is the off season but.... what's the deal?

Winghead member since day 1 and your Eagles friend,

Jax
mcnabbulous
Yeah, to a certain extent. Also doesn't help that it's a slow time of the year. The team being really shitty exasperated the problem too. A combo of things, but slower than a few years ago.
JaxEagle
True. Hopefully we will see all the boys around soon. maybe when we sign a coach then the board will liven up.
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (JaxEagle @ Jan 12 2013, 12:15 AM) *
True. Hopefully we will see all the boys around soon. maybe when we sign a coach then the board will liven up.

i saw the dropoff begin last year and by midseason this year it just got worse. its not just a bad record because we had those before and very often, losing makes the forums and radio show phone lines blow up. this is different. Lurie sucked the life out of the fanbase

in my case i stopped caring almost immediately after Lurie said AR was coming back after last season. now that AR is gone, i am not optimistic about the team's 'talent' and im unsure about Roseman's ability to refill the coffers

i dont care about how long it takes to get a coach or how many people they interview. especially given that the best teams are still playing. it will be slightly interesting once announced, but i already know the drill. they hire a guy, say he was their only choice, the hype train goes into overdrive and the 'excitement' will be off the charts going into the offseason. YAWN.

the success of the coach wont be apparent until we play some games and thats months away.
Zero
QUOTE (BirdsWinBaby @ Jan 12 2013, 08:14 AM) *
YAWN.

I have a completely different perspective, although I did lose enthusiasm early in the season when it was apparent the team looked half assed. The fact that Lurie broke with Banner then followed that play with a smash mouth "fire" of Andy tells me he saw that status quo wasn't going to cut it.

Maybe the guy's more patient than the fans who knew the string was played out a couple of years ago, but he's the one who's ultimately accountable, not us. I cut him some slack there. But, he knew change was needed (positive) and he took decisive action (positive). Unlike his marriage, this wasn't an amicable break up for either Reid or Banner (positive). Lurie showed the balls to make the tough decisions, separating his franchise from his childhood friend and the winningest coach in team history and neither Reid or Banner seem too happy about it.

He's given us a reasonable definition of who he wants as HC. He's doing due diligence in his search and my guess is that he'll be as patient in his pursuit of the right leader as he was in separating himself from his comfort zone.

This is an exciting time for the future of the team. It's not X's and O's, it's not blocking and tackling but if possible it's more important than any of that. The team had a good coach for ten years who gave us a lot of reason to watch and talk about our team. I hope this search results in a similar result.

The search is moving slowly, but for one, I'm really interested and excited about how it ends. I'm expecting some kick ass change on the team. I'm expecting a dramatic change in how the new coach communicates with the fans. I'm expecting a new attitude on the field and I'm guessing there'll be some players who don't like any of that.

Change, man! It's the spice of life. It's the WHAM, the BAM and the SLAM! Out of the rut and off the road. Four wheel drive, baybee! Gang Green! Go EAGLES!!!
JaxEagle
QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 12 2013, 09:12 AM) *
I have a completely different perspective, although I did lose enthusiasm early in the season when it was apparent the team looked half assed. The fact that Lurie broke with Banner then followed that play with a smash mouth "fire" of Andy tells me he saw that status quo wasn't going to cut it.

Maybe the guy's more patient than the fans who knew the string was played out a couple of years ago, but he's the one who's ultimately accountable, not us. I cut him some slack there. But, he knew change was needed (positive) and he took decisive action (positive). Unlike his marriage, this wasn't an amicable break up for either Reid or Banner (positive). Lurie showed the balls to make the tough decisions, separating his franchise from his childhood friend and the winningest coach in team history and neither Reid or Banner seem too happy about it.

He's given us a reasonable definition of who he wants as HC. He's doing due diligence in his search and my guess is that he'll be as patient in his pursuit of the right leader as he was in separating himself from his comfort zone.

This is an exciting time for the future of the team. It's not X's and O's, it's not blocking and tackling but if possible it's more important than any of that. The team had a good coach for ten years who gave us a lot of reason to watch and talk about our team. I hope this search results in a similar result.

The search is moving slowly, but for one, I'm really interested and excited about how it ends. I'm expecting some kick ass change on the team. I'm expecting a dramatic change in how the new coach communicates with the fans. I'm expecting a new attitude on the field and I'm guessing there'll be some players who don't like any of that.

Change, man! It's the spice of life. It's the WHAM, the BAM and the SLAM! Out of the rut and off the road. Four wheel drive, baybee! Gang Green! Go EAGLES!!!

Very well put and I totally agree!
nephillymike
1. Time, more demands on it less available of it.

I work hours more a week than I used to. That cuts into free time i used to spend here.

As the kids got older, more coaching, sports watching daddy limo services etc.

2. Because of the above, my time posting on message boards has been cut by about 50%. However, for most of the last three years leading up to the most recent election, I have been very active in posting in G&G on politics so that has detracted from me posting in this forum. Given the importance I placed on the election and the events leading up to it, I posted in that forum often and spent time researcing political type subjects. So I've been around, but more in the attic of this place where you keep Cousin It, Lerch and other non desireables as opposed to the living room.

3. Lack of enthusiasm and failure to identify with many players on this team. I did not see the improvement in Reid that I felt was necessary for us to get back to the Super Bowl and those things always bothered me had infuriated me lately. Now he's gone, so we'll see. Those early 2000's teams, i liked so many players. Now? Who do i like? nobody comes to mind. I see Foles not making excuses and being tough which I like. McCoy is a great talent and seems likeable, but he talks in cliches. I don't see players on recent teams who look as pissed as I do when they lose. gone are the Trotter scowls, Dawk's intensity, JJ's candid answers. Vincent's statesmanship respect and demeanor. Speaking of Dawk, this franchise did the unthinkable IMO. a piece of my enthusiasm left that day.

4. There was a great looking red head that moved in town. The Phillies. That team IS very likeable, got us a title, and are in the place to be at CBP. Years ago, the Eagles were the only show in town. Not anymore. And frankly, the Phils mgt seems more appreciative of the fan and i appreciate that. Given that was my sport, i had a reserve of interest just waiting to surface for that sport after years of dormant fandom.

So that's my story.

Why did you stay away for so long?
Reality Fan
My reasons are simple. I love debating topics and sometimes I am right and sometimes I am wrong but that is what debate and discussion is all about but too often it has gotten to be conjecture turned to fact here. It is one thing to dislike a guy like Reid. I get that. To completely revise history with made up facts because someone hates the guy is where it gets old and, frankly, stupid. The Lurie and Roseman stuff is getting old also. Again, I get the concern that Roseman is not as knowledgeable as he could or should be and he may not be but here and elsewhere I read or here comments from guys stating what Roseman thinks or what his role is in the search. A good example is that coaching candidates don't want to come here to work for him because he is power hungry. Even after it has been reported that Roseman AND Lurie have made it clear that Roseman has no such intentions. Nobody knows much about the guy and all reports are that he is a very reasonable guy and has great relations with agents, players and execs but here you have idiots talking about what a problem he is because they think so. Lurie gets the same crap here. The guy has been a first class owner but to read some folks here he is worse than Braman and you get the same mind reader bullshit about what he thinking etc. and that is annoying. I don't expect everyone to love him and I disagree with some decisions but the guy has been pretty damn good.

So I cut back on posting here because I didn't want to smash my laptop to pieces.

Sorry for the rant
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 12 2013, 08:54 PM) *
My reasons are simple. I love debating topics and sometimes I am right and sometimes I am wrong but that is what debate and discussion is all about but too often it has gotten to be conjecture turned to fact here. It is one thing to dislike a guy like Reid. I get that. To completely revise history with made up facts because someone hates the guy is where it gets old and, frankly, stupid. The Lurie and Roseman stuff is getting old also. Again, I get the concern that Roseman is not as knowledgeable as he could or should be and he may not be but here and elsewhere I read or here comments from guys stating what Roseman thinks or what his role is in the search. A good example is that coaching candidates don't want to come here to work for him because he is power hungry. Even after it has been reported that Roseman AND Lurie have made it clear that Roseman has no such intentions. Nobody knows much about the guy and all reports are that he is a very reasonable guy and has great relations with agents, players and execs but here you have idiots talking about what a problem he is because they think so. Lurie gets the same crap here. The guy has been a first class owner but to read some folks here he is worse than Braman and you get the same mind reader bullshit about what he thinking etc. and that is annoying. I don't expect everyone to love him and I disagree with some decisions but the guy has been pretty damn good.

So I cut back on posting here because I didn't want to smash my laptop to pieces.

Sorry for the rant

Would you give examples of what was made up about Reid and what history was revised for or against his behalf?

I think in general, you hear good things and bad things about Reid Roseman and Lurie, all from supposed people "in the know". You may choose to believe the positive things, others may choose to believe the negative. Same type of sources, different opinions.

The fact we know is that the team of Lurie-Banner-Roseman-Reid were not good enough to win a championship. 14 years of solid data on that and another 6 for the Luire-Banner end of that deal. Most other things are conjecture and opinion.

What is your take on the statement by Lurie that he does not hold Roseman responsible for the 2010 and 2011 drafts? Was GM Roseman's role in the limited responsibility realm that Lurie states? If I happen to believe, based on the post draft opinions expressed on the air by him at the time, that that is a bs statment by the owner, is that conjecture turned fact?

My point is that facts are few, opinions are many, and the positive side and negative side many times have equal chance of being accurate.

Don't break another laptoop!!

Hopefully we'll get a new coach soon and things will look up!

Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 12 2013, 11:17 PM) *
Would you give examples of what was made up about Reid and what history was revised for or against his behalf?

I think in general, you hear good things and bad things about Reid Roseman and Lurie, all from supposed people "in the know". You may choose to believe the positive things, others may choose to believe the negative. Same type of sources, different opinions.

The fact we know is that the team of Lurie-Banner-Roseman-Reid were not good enough to win a championship. 14 years of solid data on that and another 6 for the Luire-Banner end of that deal. Most other things are conjecture and opinion.

What is your take on the statement by Lurie that he does not hold Roseman responsible for the 2010 and 2011 drafts? Was GM Roseman's role in the limited responsibility realm that Lurie states? If I happen to believe, based on the post draft opinions expressed on the air by him at the time, that that is a bs statment by the owner, is that conjecture turned fact?

My point is that facts are few, opinions are many, and the positive side and negative side many times have equal chance of being accurate.

Don't break another laptoop!!

Hopefully we'll get a new coach soon and things will look up!

They were not good enough to win a championship but it was not from hubris as many spit out without a flippin clue. They tried, they dedicated a ton of resources and missteps and bad luck played equal parts. Playing Carolina with the injured list through the roof was bad luck, losing to Tampa was a misstep. The Eagles were one of the better teams at scoring under 2 minutes but a few bad clock management errors and that is the rule rather than the exception.

Where are the details of the spurned offers that the college coaches turned down? All conjecture lapped up by idiots nad regurgitated as fact.

And I am glad you mentioned Lurie and Roseman. Lets look at that transcript. He never absolved Roseman of the entire blame. What he said was that the last draft was the one he holds him totally responsible for. He never said he had nothing to do with the previous ones. He said he finally streamlined the process and now Howie is responsible for it and previously he had the best draft analysis of all parties involved. He did not say that all his picks were great, he said his analysis was the best.

The simple facts are that Reid was a good coach who stayed too long. Lurie is a great owner who spends money, stays out of the kitchen and tries to put together the best franchise possible. Look at Lehigh. When most teams are moving their TC to closed team facilities the Eagles still maintain the carnival like atmosphere for the fans to get up close and personal.

I am not saying they are perfect. I am saying that they can't catch a break in this town.
Zero
One good thing about the "streamline" is that now everyone knows who's to be held accountable for the evaluation. I have my doubts about Roseman but we should have a better feel this Spring.

In one sense this board mimics the media. Too often opinion is presented as fact and with each telling the "facts" get more distorted.
Mr. Bonko

Maybe there are fewer posts b/c threads get hijacked. Like when you ask why there are less posts and people turn it into a debate about the timing of Lurie's decisions.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 12 2013, 11:17 PM) *

Do you really believe this? They "weren't good enough" to win a SB? Given how close they came, I'd say it's quite clear they were plenty good enough. It take more than just being good to win a SB. It takes a bit of luck and things falling into place at the right time. I think it's far more accurate to say they weren't lucky enough to win a SB.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 13 2013, 11:28 AM) *
I think it's far more accurate to say they weren't lucky enough to win a SB.

Yeah, this was Bobby Cox's excuse for the better part of two decades, as to why he had the most talented team in baseball many years but could only win a WS when faced with the Indians, arguably the biggest chokers in all of professional sports.

Funny how the Yankees, Lakers, Patriots, Red Sox, Giants (SF and NY), and other teams who actually win rings never complained about 'luck' or refer to the playoffs as a 'crapshoot' - they just win.

Please. We were good enough to win talent-wise, and we didn't get it done. A large part of that is Reid's gameday coaching, which has been discussed (and I'm sure will continue to be) countless times.
mcnabbulous
The Patriots haven't won a title since 2004. Despite having the best team in football several times since. Basketball is a joke of a sport regarding championships. Only like 3-4 teams are even capable as the season starts.

The Giants struggle to make the playoffs in most seasons. Both of their championships were won as total underdogs.

The Yankees and Red Sox?!? They spend significantly more money than anyone else every year. The Yankees have only won it all once in the past 12 years despite that. Our Phillies are the perfect example of this. The worst team they sent to the playoffs between 2008 and 2011 is the only one which won it all.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 13 2013, 01:10 PM) *
The worst team they sent to the playoffs between 2008 and 2011 is the only one which won it all.

I disagree, the pitching staff was the worst, but they weren't THAT bad and also were lights out in the playoffs. We had the best setup man/men in the game, and a perfect closer. The 2008 offense was a juggernaut too. Since then our offense has sputtered at times, and our bullpen has been disgraceful.

Anyways, point to all you said was that everyone has excuses, for why they win or lose. The Eagles just haven't gotten it done, while all the mentioned teams have.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jan 13 2013, 01:28 PM) *
I disagree, the pitching staff was the worst, but they weren't THAT bad and also were lights out in the playoffs. We had the best setup man/men in the game, and a perfect closer. The 2008 offense was a juggernaut too. Since then our offense has sputtered at times, and our bullpen has been disgraceful.

Anyways, point to all you said was that everyone has excuses, for why they win or lose. The Eagles just haven't gotten it done, while all the mentioned teams have.

Peyton Manning has only won one championship despite being the best QB to ever play the game (arguably.) that happened to coincide with the weakest crop of NFC teams I can remember.
Manning only winning once is more surprising than us never winning...based on talent alone.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.