Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why are you a fan of this team?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
HobbEs
I wasn't around for the '60 championship and initially became interested through the Vermiel years starting in the late 70's. I followed the team through the 1980 Super Bowl run, then the Swamp Fox years, the Buddy Ryan show, the Kotite mess, then Ray Rhodes and finally Andy. (Did I miss anybody?) It sure has been a lot of ups and downs.

It's safe to say the Eagle green is in my blood but things are so much different now (with all the technology) then when I started watching them all those years ago. Then I started thinking about a few things:

- I don't go to the games and I have DirecTV. I can watch any team I want.
- I can post on any team's message board.
- I can read the sports page of any paper in any city.
- I can follow any player on Twitter or other social media.

So with all the accessibility why is it you follow this one particular team?

Feel free to discuss. I'm especially curious to hear the answers from the out-of-towners.

mcnabbulous
I'm just a Philly sports fan. The Phillies were my first love, but my first pro football memories were the Buddy Ryan Eagles. Admittedly, I didn't become really passionate about pro football until Andy's first year, which coincided with my freshman year in college. Until that time, I was more of a college football (PSU) guy.
chuckp
Also a Philly sports fan, grew up in the city and always routed for the home teams. Live about a hour north of Philly now and it's funny to see how many Steelers fans there are up here. I have to admit it when I was a kid I was kind of a front runner also at times which drove my dad crazy lol.
HOUSEoPAIN
Raised to be a Philly sports fan. I have special hatred for Cowboys fans around here, most of who jumped on the bandwagon in the 70s, or their children who jumped on the bandwagon in the 90s.

One of my friends is from East Rutherford, and while he's a Yankee/Devils fan, he's a hardcore Eagles fan - apparently when he was a kid he just got sick of everyone talking about the Giants and he just went with their rivals a couple hours away.
RAFCRIK
When I discovered American Football, I started an investigation to find out which team would get my blessing. It had to be old, never moved (that that is even possible goes beyond me...).

And then I read about Eagles fans cheering carreer ending injuries, booing the Eastern Bunny and Santa, throwing ice balls to players (fans?) of the other team. Supporters should be fanatic. wink.gif

And since then, it grew on me and it stuck. smile.gif

But of course I'm only a fan from across the Ocean...
Phits
I live in Toronto, Canada. In the late 80's there was a boom in cross border shopping. I used to go to Buffalo NY almost every week-end to shop. Eventually these shopping trips led me to the tax free paradise of Pennsylvania...specifically Philadelphia. It became a semi-annual road trip with friends and family. One of the dedicated week-ends was the labor day long week-end.

1993 Philly hosted the Cardinals, and our hotel was near The Vet. I tailgated for the first time. I fell in love with the team, city and stadium. Haven't looked back since.

I moved to Bermuda from 2003 -2011. As small as the island was I would frequently fly to Philly, Boston, NT, ATL, MIA for week-end getaways and catch Eagles games when I could. Since moving back to Toronto I haven't been to an Eagles game or to Philly, but it's a pleasure well past due.
JaxEagle
QUOTE (Phits @ Jan 10 2013, 06:43 PM) *
I live in Toronto, Canada. In the late 80's there was a boom in cross border shopping. I used to go to Buffalo NY almost every week-end to shop. Eventually these shopping trips led me to the tax free paradise of Pennsylvania...specifically Philadelphia. It became a semi-annual road trip with friends and family. One of the dedicated week-ends was the labor day long week-end.

1993 Philly hosted the Cardinals, and our hotel was near The Vet. I tailgated for the first time. I fell in love with the team, city and stadium. Haven't looked back since.

I moved to Bermuda from 2003 -2011. As small as the island was I would frequently fly to Philly, Boston, NT, ATL, MIA for week-end getaways and catch Eagles games when I could. Since moving back to Toronto I haven't been to an Eagles game or to Philly, but it's a pleasure well past due.

Great story!!
JaxEagle
QUOTE (RAFCRIK @ Jan 10 2013, 06:39 PM) *
When I discovered American Football, I started an investigation to find out which team would get my blessing. It had to be old, never moved (that that is even possible goes beyond me...).

And then I read about Eagles fans cheering carreer ending injuries, booing the Eastern Bunny and Santa, throwing ice balls to players (fans?) of the other team. Supporters should be fanatic. wink.gif

And since then, it grew on me and it stuck. smile.gif

But of course I'm only a fan from across the Ocean...

Another great reason!
JaxEagle
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jan 10 2013, 05:16 PM) *
Raised to be a Philly sports fan.

Ditto! Phils were and probably always will be my fav. In part because I played Baseball rather than Football. As a 10 yr old boy I clearly remember crying myself to sleep when we lost to Oakland and old man Plunkett. Down 27-10 with 2:00 minutes remaining I still had faith we were going to come back and win. Later, in my 20's and (embarrassed to admit) even into my 30's that emotion turned to anger in feeling that we were cursed. I have finally grown up but that faith hasn't ever dwindled. At least now I can enjoy them with a clear mind, whether we are 4-12 or in the Super Bowl. Of course, that 4-12 isn't all that much fun.
SLOiggles
I loved watching football as a child, but didn't have a favorite team. I liked Buddy Ryan and his attitude and since my entire family is from Chicago, he was a favorite of my dad and brother despite being a transplant. I played Tecmo Super Bowl and would always pick the Eagles soon thereafter. At the time I didn't know much about individual players, but I remember Reggie White was just as much of a beast in real life as he was in the game. The fact that Reggie White shared the same birthday as me, well, done deal. I got my first Eagles hat for my birthday in 1991 and I've been obsessive ever since. I've seen a lot of bad football from this team. I've seen a lot of good football from this team. And going on 22 years of following this team I've never waivered.

I guess it's a good thing that I didn't really ever play as Bo Jackson in that game...I'd be even more miserable being a Raiders fan!
Rick
Grew up a fan. My father was a fan, which pretty much made me a fan. Now I have two boys --10 and 6--who are becoming fans.

Being born in Trenton didn't hurt either.
Bocadelphia Eagles John
My father took me to Franklin Field in '57 to see Eagles go down to Washington but to see Tommy McD in person hooked me for good. By '60 the neighborhood was replaying the championship game in the freezing cold back yard area to do our part in bringing that 3rd trophy back for the umpteenth time in those hectic few days of victory re-runs by the 12 to 14 year olds of Levittown, PA.

Since then I've been stupidly loyal to a fault. My addiction is bordering on the insanely fatalistic. A mature, intelligent person with at least half a life would have realized the futility and moved on years ago but nooooo, not me.

I guess being a fan, for me, means being a looney tunes idiot on tha autumnul beckonings of crisp Sunday afternoons. Me, the Eagles, pizza and beer. An odd 4 way coupling to be sure.
JaxEagle
QUOTE (SLOiggles @ Jan 10 2013, 10:44 PM) *
I loved watching football as a child, but didn't have a favorite team. I liked Buddy Ryan and his attitude and since my entire family is from Chicago, he was a favorite of my dad and brother despite being a transplant. I played Tecmo Super Bowl and would always pick the Eagles soon thereafter. At the time I didn't know much about individual players, but I remember Reggie White was just as much of a beast in real life as he was in the game. The fact that Reggie White shared the same birthday as me, well, done deal. I got my first Eagles hat for my birthday in 1991 and I've been obsessive ever since. I've seen a lot of bad football from this team. I've seen a lot of good football from this team. And going on 22 years of following this team I've never waivered.

I guess it's a good thing that I didn't really ever play as Bo Jackson in that game...I'd be even more miserable being a Raiders fan!

Great story SLO. Funny, my bday is Dec. 19 too!!!!
make_it_rain
QUOTE (SLOiggles @ Jan 10 2013, 10:44 PM) *

Cunningham (or should I say, QB EAGLES) was UNREAL in TSB as well. A game so ahead of its time in terms of player stats, attributes, full season, playoffs, etc.

Such a classic.
navyeagles
I grew up in between Philly and DC. I grew up in Northern MD and South/Central PA.

my sports teams are all around...

Eagles fan- Started following football really hard back in 1998 and I couldnt root for my dads team (Redskins) so I decided to root for the team that he hated the most (well at least their fans) I havnt looked back since

Other sports though.. I am a Orioles fan, a Wizards fan and a Capitals fan. soo I stuck between Philly/DC/ and Baltimore...
Eyrie
I'm Scottish, so I grew up in the 70s not even aware the NFL existed. Our main sports are "soccer" and rugby, and there my teams were Hibs and Scotland. I followed Hibs for the simple reason that they were my local team as a kid.

We started getting football over here in the early 80s and I enjoyed watching the hour-long programme that was on a week after the games were played. No internet meant the delay was irrelevant but the length of the programme meant that most games only got brief highlights and, as the main game always featured different teams each week, there was a lack of continuity that made it difficult to follow a particular team rather than simply the sport.

In the late Eighties Gang Green and the Ultimate Weapon came along. Add that to the fact that the Eagles play in green as do Hibs and you have the explanation of why I chose to be an Eagles fan.

Must be close to 25 years of heartache now, so at what point do I get to watch us win a SuperBowl as compensation?
nephillymike
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jan 11 2013, 05:20 PM) *
I'm Scottish, so I grew up in the 70s not even aware the NFL existed. Our main sports are "soccer" and rugby, and there my teams were Hibs and Scotland. I followed Hibs for the simple reason that they were my local team as a kid.

We started getting football over here in the early 80s and I enjoyed watching the hour-long programme that was on a week after the games were played. No internet meant the delay was irrelevant but the length of the programme meant that most games only got brief highlights and, as the main game always featured different teams each week, there was a lack of continuity that made it difficult to follow a particular team rather than simply the sport.

In the late Eighties Gang Green and the Ultimate Weapon came along. Add that to the fact that the Eagles play in green as do Hibs and you have the explanation of why I chose to be an Eagles fan.

Must be close to 25 years of heartache now, so at what point do I get to watch us win a SuperBowl as compensation?

When you learn how to spell program correctly!!

Tent catching Scots. A rare find on a football message board!! An original Andyhead no less! The Axis have prevailed.

devil03.gif
JaxEagle
QUOTE (Bocadelphia Eagles John @ Jan 11 2013, 10:12 AM) *
Me, the Eagles, pizza and beer. An odd 4 way coupling to be sure.

Boca, that is one heck of a combo. Enjoy that!!! Winning is just a great bonus!!!!!

And feel free to throw in a burger or wings here and there and maybe a little Crown Royal wink.gif
JaxEagle
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ Jan 11 2013, 02:38 PM) *
Cunningham (or should I say, QB EAGLES) was UNREAL in TSB as well. A game so ahead of its time in terms of player stats, attributes, full season, playoffs, etc.

Such a classic.

So True!!! Randall evolved the QB position as video games evloved at the same time.

Funny - I just got a classic Atari 2600 for Christmas. Amazing how times have changed. But, those games are every bit as much fun when it comes to hooking you in and creating some good fun competition with friends! Anybody remember Combat? What an absurdly simple and basic game compared to today but it is addictive as anything. As classic as Tic Tac Toe or that Golf Tee Pyramid game at Cracker Barrel laugh.gif
Zero
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Jan 10 2013, 04:23 PM) *
I wasn't around for the '60 championship and initially became interested through the Vermiel years starting in the late 70's. I followed the team through the 1980 Super Bowl run, then the Swamp Fox years, the Buddy Ryan show, the Kotite mess, then Ray Rhodes and finally Andy. (Did I miss anybody?) It sure has been a lot of ups and downs.

It's safe to say the Eagle green is in my blood but things are so much different now (with all the technology) then when I started watching them all those years ago. Then I started thinking about a few things:

- I don't go to the games and I have DirecTV. I can watch any team I want.
- I can post on any team's message board.
- I can read the sports page of any paper in any city.
- I can follow any player on Twitter or other social media.

So with all the accessibility why is it you follow this one particular team?

Feel free to discuss. I'm especially curious to hear the answers from the out-of-towners.

My town, my team. It's not about if they win. My wife may have a bad hair day but she's always #1! My kid may really piss me off but she's mine and I love her. My dog might shit on the floor but he's the best dog on the planet and if my neighbor kicks him he'll have a dent in his head.

It's really that simple. The internet just complicates things.
Rick
QUOTE (Bocadelphia Eagles John @ Jan 11 2013, 10:12 AM) *
Since then I've been stupidly loyal to a fault. My addiction is bordering on the insanely fatalistic. A mature, intelligent person with at least half a life would have realized the futility and moved on years ago but nooooo, not me.

I feel your pain man, I feel your pain...
blink.gif
Eyrie
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 12 2013, 03:35 AM) *
When you learn how to spell program correctly!!

Tent catching Scots. A rare find on a football message board!! An original Andyhead no less! The Axis have prevailed.

devil03.gif

I think this board was 99% Axis by the end - you were just ahead of the curve!
samaroo
My dad's family is from Philly, so that whole half of my family bleeds green. I grew up loving all philly teams, even though I grew up in central Florida. However, my dad was never big into college football, so I also grew up a FSU fan. I don't think it's that unusual, I think a lot of people are fans because of their fathers. But that's why I am.

I remember watching the team since the mid-80's, getting excited when Quick would haul in a Cunningham bomb, or Joyner would get a sack. Great days. You guys remember when teams would rather eat glass than play our D at the Vet?

Also, one of the only three times I've ever cried in my life was the day the Vet came down. So emotional for me.

God, I wish my dad was from Pittsburg... rolleyes.gif
D Rock
I was born into "the curse" in 1970 and I've passed it on to my own children. I grew up in D.C. but maw and paw were both from Reading. I was brought home from the hospital as a newborn in Eagles gear. I had phillies and iggles pennants and memorabilia in my bedroom before I knew what it was. This "indoctrination" continued at school as I went to a catholic school at which the instructors were nuns of the order "Sisters of St. Joseph" which is philly based. So while in foreskinz country, my home and school were all philly. It was at a young age that I understood and appreciated what it was to eschew the local favorites for something larger. My dad was a teenager in the snow filled Shibe park for the 48 championship and was a personal acquaintance of Joe Theisman whom he despised with every fiber of his being. My loyalty was built through a childhood defending and rooting for the iggles and thumbing my nose at foreskinz fans during the Joe Gibbs era (not an easy time to be anti redskin and pro iggle). I really started paying attention on my own accord during the Vermeil years and was devastated as a 10 year old when Jaws shit the bed against Lester "more stickum" Hayes. My god parents brought me an autographed baseball signed by the entire 1980 WS Phillies squad. I was very into little league ball and always pretended to be Tug McGraw on the mound or Pete Rose at bat or in the field. I lived in philly area for a mere 4 months in '95 while my Mother was fighting a losing battle with cancer. I moved west after she passed and have stayed loyal to all things philly sports through 6 years in San Francisco and 12 years in L.A.. Now my kids are bleeding green, glued to the sixers and pretending to be Ryan Howard at bat and Cliff Lee on the mound. Philly sports fans are unique IMO among the world of sports fans. We take it with us wherever we go. I fucking loath the Cowboys, Lakers, Dodgers, Yankees et al. I've found an appreciation for the Clippers, but it's mild at best.

The Curse Lives ON...
samaroo
Yeah, the oldest picture my parent have of me is me in a onesie that says on the front:

"My favorite team is the Eagles"

and on the back:

"And anyone playing Dallas."

I wish I still fit in it...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.