Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brian Kelly
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
navyeagles
So the ESPN is now reporting that the eagles interviewed Brain Kelly Tuesday. They say the interview went great and both left happy. Kelly reportedly left the country and will return on the weekend to continue talks with the iiggles

DONT LIKE THIS!!!
VICKtory
QUOTE (navyeagles @ Jan 9 2013, 09:01 PM) *
So the ESPN is now reporting that the eagles interviewed Brain Kelly Tuesday. They say the interview went great and both left happy. Kelly reportedly left the country and will return on the weekend to continue talks with the iiggles

DONT LIKE THIS!!!

Why don't you like it? Just cuz of the bama game?

I don't know much about Kelly, can someone give a brief overview for me?
chuckp
He probably wants a raise and extension from ND lol
JaxEagle
Lovie>Brian Kelly
chuckp
Anymore college coaches who want a raise and extension lineup and interview with the Eagles.....who's next

Charlie Strong - Louisville
Kevin Sumlin - Texas A&M
navyeagles
He has ZERO Nfl experience.. that is why I dont want him. He has never even been an asst. at this level. and to make him a HC. I don't feel good about that.
Zero
This may sound weird, but interviewing someone doesn't necessarily mean they're interested in him as a HC. Kelly did a good job turning that program around and it could be that the Eagles wanted to pick his brain about that; learn things that would help them in their search as well as knowledge that could help turn the Eagles around.

Information never hurts, it depends on what you do with it. Lurie has hired two coaches: Rhodes and Reid. Both were pretty good hires. He may end up screwing the pooch this time but there's no reason to assume that will happen.
Rick
QUOTE (navyeagles @ Jan 10 2013, 06:42 AM) *
He has ZERO Nfl experience.. that is why I dont want him. He has never even been an asst. at this level. and to make him a HC. I don't feel good about that.

I agree 100%! I'm sick of all this talk about them looking at various college coaches. Stop with the college coaches already!!!!
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Rick @ Jan 10 2013, 07:34 AM) *
I agree 100%! I'm sick of all this talk about them looking at various college coaches. Stop with the college coaches already!!!!

I think Zero makes a pretty good point - we DO have the #4 overall pick next year, perhaps these interviews aren't necessarily because we're going to hire a new HC, but maybe looking for some info on players and their potential, or just info in general. NFL and NCAA brass seem like a pretty chummy yacht-club type of thing, where everyone knows each other and there's a lot of friends and ocntacts everyone makes. Having lunch with someone and talking football doesn't mean they're interviewing for a job.
HobbEs
I wonder if Manti Te'o was part of that discussion.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Jan 10 2013, 01:02 PM) *
I wonder if Manti Te'o was part of that discussion.

If the conversation was really on Tuesday, I imagine it went something like, "wow, he really fooled everyone this year, huh?"
Pbfan
whats the obsession with going after the flavor of the month college coaches!?!? You can't tell me that they have the experience that NFL coaches or coordinators do. And what makes this guy so good? One freaking season?

This would be the coaching equivalent of getting Matt Lienert. It would be such an emotional decision by people getting caught up in the hype.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Pbfan @ Jan 10 2013, 03:44 PM) *
whats the obsession with going after the flavor of the month college coaches!?!? You can't tell me that they have the experience that NFL coaches or coordinators do. And what makes this guy so good? One freaking season?

This would be the coaching equivalent of getting Matt Lienert. It would be such an emotional decision by people getting caught up in the hype.

I'm not sold on Kelly, but I would hardly call him a flavor of the month. He has won at every stop.

He's clearly a very good football coach. He doesn't run some outlandish scheme, so I think his principles would translate to the pro game. It's a question of building a staff and getting player buy-in.

HobbEs

There are two things I can think of. One is that the NFL is a copycat league and there is a recent trend of college coaches having success at the pro level. And the second is that they probably put all their eggs in one basket with Chip Kelly and are now trying to save face.

I think that's rather insulting to Matt Lienert. The only good that could come from it is maybe Lurie decides he needs an actual football guy calling the shot and not lawyers and accountants.
Rick
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Jan 10 2013, 04:00 PM) *
...there is a recent trend of college coaches having success at the pro level.

Really? Whom would you be referring to? I've not seen college coaches (with no previous NFL experience) doing well at all in the NFL. Maybe I missed something?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.