Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Draft Failures
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
mcnabbulous
Another thread got me looking a bit deeper at our draft futility. Since 2007, by my count, we have only drafted 10-12 starting caliber guys. Not even great guys necessarily...just guys that could start for some teams around football. That list includes:
Kolb
Bradley (I'll even put him on here because at one time he looked like a capable starter)
Celek
Desean
Maclin
McCoy
Brandon Gibson (maybe)
Graham (this year only, obviously)
Henery
Kelce
Cox
Kendricks

It's an absolutely pathetic list. Especially considering two of those players are rookies. Remember when we were one of the best? Rookies could barely find the field. If you have any doubt why our franchise has deteriorated to embarrassing levels, it starts on weekends in late April.
TGryn
Its anyone's guess what we have in Curry and Foles. I'd argue that Brown has shown the talent to be a starter at RB, the only thing holding him back is the fumbling which is correctable.

We've rarely gotten more than 2-3 starters from any draft, even in the "good" years. Getting four in any one draft is doing really well.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (TGryn @ Jan 8 2013, 06:55 AM) *
Its anyone's guess what we have in Curry and Foles. I'd argue that Brown has shown the talent to be a starter at RB, the only thing holding him back is the fumbling which is correctable.

Right, so including the rookies isn't really sensible for this discussion. Especially because I was discussing the negative impact our drafting had caused on our current team. Like I said, on our good teams, rookies couldn't even see the field. Now we're counting on them heavily. I would even throw Boykin into the mix regarding quality rookies this year.

We've rarely gotten more than 2-3 starters from any draft, even in the "good" years. Getting four in any one draft is doing really well.

While we've rarely gotten 2-3 starters, what are the successful teams typically getting? My problem isn't as much the lack of starters (although it's concerning and led to our downfall, IMO) but how few are really top guys. From that list, McCoy and Henery are the only two at their positions who really jump out at me. Desean and Maclin are the next tier down. Maybe Celek in that group.

Beyond that, we're talking fringe guys who wouldn't start for most of the teams around the league.
D Rock
Whats worse is players we've taken and simply couldn't develop, who then went on to contribute in other areas.

Andy Studebaker and Dan Teo'Neoaighshaame come to mind.
Zero
QUOTE (D Rock @ Jan 8 2013, 03:25 PM) *
Whats worse is players we've taken and simply couldn't develop, who then went on to contribute in other areas.

Andy Studebaker and Dan Teo'Neoaighshaame come to mind.

Right ... I just finished reading this ...
samaroo
Wow, he summed up the past 9 years quite succinctly...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.