Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: In support of hiring an NFL coach and a hurry up search
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
Does hiring a college coach as HC for an NFL team usually result in that team having primarily a college coaching staff? I suppose that if the coach had recently been working in the NFL he would have a network of contacts in the NFL.

One of my concerns with hiring Kelly is his assumed lack of network in the NFL. I realize he's talked to Gruden and Belicheck and others, but that doesn't necessarily give him a pipeline of NFL aware contacts. This may not be a bad thing but I do think it could be relevant.

I wouldn't care if the Eagles waited until late February to hire a new coach if it weren't enormously important for the new guy to have access to good assistants. I can stand the wait, but I'm not sure the guy would be able to put together a good staff after assistants had been picked over by other hires.

The gas is on the right, Jeff.
Rick
I just don't want a college coach with no NFL experience. More often than not, it just doesn't work out.

There are a few good coaches looking for work who have been working in the NFL. Give me one of those!
JaxEagle
QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 5 2013, 08:32 AM) *
Does hiring a college coach as HC for an NFL team usually result in that team having primarily a college coaching staff? I suppose that if the coach had recently been working in the NFL he would have a network of contacts in the NFL.

One of my concerns with hiring Kelly is his assumed lack of network in the NFL. I realize he's talked to Gruden and Belicheck and others, but that doesn't necessarily give him a pipeline of NFL aware contacts. This may not be a bad thing but I do think it could be relevant.

I wouldn't care if the Eagles waited until late February to hire a new coach if it weren't enormously important for the new guy to have access to good assistants. I can stand the wait, but I'm not sure the guy would be able to put together a good staff after assistants had been picked over by other hires.

The gas is on the right, Jeff.

I think it is a relevant concern
JaxEagle
I'm warming up to Gus Bradley

I'd probably be ok with McCoy or Koetter

Not totally sold on Nolan but I suppose I could warm up to it

Not warm on Arrians
mcnabbulous
Koetter pulled himself out of consideration. Just FYI. Signed extension with ATL.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.