Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Something I've been asking myself...
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Rick
Ok, we can all agree Reid did a lot of good for the Eagles over the years. However, we can all agree he's gotten away with a LOT of questionable actions during his time here. My friend (also an avid Eagles' fan) and I have both been discussing why so many teams have such a hard on to sign Reid up. Here's an article, which voices many of our same concerns:

--->clicky<---

Personally, I think he should take a year off for many of the same reasons made in this article. However, I really don't know that he'll be terribly successful if he continues to coach the way he has been lately.
Dreagon
QUOTE (Rick @ Jan 4 2013, 06:43 AM) *
why so many teams have such a hard on to sign Reid up.

Well, in KC's and Arizona's case, Reids record for the past ten years would be a huge step up.
Zero
Look at what Reid did with the Eagles in his first five years. Hired in 1999, Super Bowl in 2004. He "changed the culture" on the Eagles and then grew over confident, IMO.

Sure he had JJ but he hired JJ. Sure, he had carry over defensive players but he leaned on them too. Sure, he had DMac but he drafted the guy ... he also has the #1 pick in this years draft and he has a very good record with grooming QBs.

I think he'd be a good hire in KC but Hunt needs to watch very closely to avoid a repeat of what happened in Philadelphia. AR doesn't have to be in KC for 14 years. If he changes the culture on that team, puts together a solid staff and grooms a young QB he's worth the hire.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Rick @ Jan 4 2013, 07:43 AM) *
Ok, we can all agree Reid did a lot of good for the Eagles over the years. However, we can all agree he's gotten away with a LOT of questionable actions during his time here. My friend (also an avid Eagles' fan) and I have both been discussing why so many teams have such a hard on to sign Reid up. Here's an article, which voices many of our same concerns:

Sign him for 5 years and he very well may turn your franchise around. Just make sure you don't keep him an extra 9 years.....
Rick
Again, I'm not saying he didn't do great things here in Philly, however, you can't deny he's made MANY questionable moves during games and there have been way too many times--especially in big games--where the team was obviously not prepared for the game. I know you can't really take the wins away from him but I just don't know that he's such an awesome coach as many seem to think after watching just about every one of his games over the past 14 years. I can remember yelling at the TV many times about what he was doing (or not doing).

I hope he does well--but not too well if you get my drift--as I have no ill will towards him. I'm glad he's gone--it was time--but I don't have any personal issues with him just question many of his coaching moves over the years--especially the last 2.
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 4 2013, 08:40 AM) *
Look at what Reid did with the Eagles in his first five years. Hired in 1999, Super Bowl in 2004. He "changed the culture" on the Eagles and then grew over confident, IMO.

Sure, he had DMac but he drafted the guy ... he also has the #1 pick

AR was indeed overconfident but it began long before 2004. Lurie hired Modrak in 98 to pick players because of his reputation coming from Pittsburgh. AR came in and wanted full control and eventually convinced Lurie to give it to him and Modrak was gone by 2002.

No doubt AR was on board with Dmac but it was his first draft as a rookie HC with a guy with Modrak's pedigree still in the room. Saying "he drafted the guy" gives AR a bit more credit than deserved

AR came in overconfident, believing that he could pick his own players using the services of lolGMs like Heckert and Roseman so Modrak go bye-bye. It took years to purge the team of any players he didn't pick and while some of them were good and some were bad it has ultimately brought us to 4-12

With that in mind what will happen to the team AR goes to depends largely on where the players come from. If he joins a team with talent he can coach em up, get some winning seasons and make the fans and owner happy . If said owner (like lurie) decides that AR's success with players he DIDN'T pick will only be enhanced once he has a team full of players he DID pick, history will repeat.

However, in the NFL, what matters to owners is winning seasons. So that's why owners are falling over themselves for AR.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.