Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Andy to KC?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
mcnabbulous
Looks more and more likely. Had a 9 hour interview yesterday. ESPN reporting it's close.

Hope that's the case...would prefer him to be in the AFC.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 3 2013, 10:40 AM) *
Hope that's the case...would prefer him to be in the AFC.

Why?!?!? You don't want to face horrible playcalling and clock management more than once every 4 years?

KC should improve, after all how can they NOT improve? But considering his record against AFC opponents, I think it was in his best interests to stay here, definitely Arizona would've been a better fit.
HobbEs
Does it even matter where he lands?? Best of luck Andy...wherever you go.
mcnabbulous
Andy has more playoffs wins than the entire KC organization. Apparently he still plans on interviewing with Arizona and San Diego
JaxEagle
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Jan 3 2013, 11:04 AM) *
Does it even matter where he lands?? Best of luck Andy...wherever you go.

Agree. While I am ready for the next chapter in Eagle football and agree it was time for a change, I appreciate and respect AR and will pull for him wherever he lands. I was hoping he would come here to Jacksonville but the Jags still have a coach... at moment...
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jan 3 2013, 10:49 AM) *
Why?!?!? You don't want to face horrible playcalling and clock management more than once every 4 years?

KC should improve, after all how can they NOT improve? But considering his record against AFC opponents, I think it was in his best interests to stay here, definitely Arizona would've been a better fit.

LOL... Consistently bad franchises don't maintain their legacy of losing by accident. It starts at the top. For example...

“We are going to change the structure,” Hunt told Albert Breer of NFL Network. “Historically, the head coach has reported to the General Manager. I think that’s true going back to the early days of the franchise. And I’m changing it today. Going forward, the head coach will report directly to me. The G.M. will report to me as well.

“The goal, Hunt explained, is to make Kansas City more enticing to a talented coach. “I think it gives us the best chance of hiring the best candidate,” Hunt said. “You mentioned a while ago that some of the coaches want more control. I think that’s right, and if we find the right coach, I certainly want to have a structure that’s acceptable to him.”

In a league where teams with actual GMs win superbowls and those with figureheads like Roseman go 4-12, this KC dude wants to cut the legs out from under his GM to attract the Andy Reids of the NFL. Maybe Pioli hasn't done a great job but you don't fix that by handing the keys to your HC. He is correct that guys like Gruden are demanding personnel power but that doesn't mean you do it just to get them.

If AR. Is still selling himself as a coach/GM to whoever wants to hire him I don't care if he goes to the giants and gets Tom Brady to backup Eli, he doesn't scare me a bit. AR the GM will screw the team up for AR the coach no matter where he goes.

lol@KC
GQSmooth
Andy would be in heaven with that fanbase and all that BBQ. Im not trying to make fat jokes but I've been hungry since Andy and KC close to a deal has been mentioned.
TGryn
Belichick is both HC and GM for the Patriots, and they seem to be doing better than OK. There isn't one clearly better way to do things. Ideally you'd like the coach and GM working in harmony, but if you can't get that its better just to have one guy running the show. Otherwise you can get a situation as happened here with Rhodes where the front office was divided between Rhodes' guys and the GM's guys, which isn't a prescription for success. Eventually they had to strip drafting powers from Rhodes and give them to semi-GM Brian Broddous, which resulted in the 1998 draft which was the most successful during Rhodes' time here.

It also bears pointing out that the Giants, who've been pointed to as a "gold standard" organization by many with GM Reese and HC Coughlin, failed to even make the playoffs this year.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (TGryn @ Jan 3 2013, 03:15 PM) *
It also bears pointing out that the Giants, who've been pointed to as a "gold standard" organization by many with GM Reese and HC Coughlin, failed to even make the playoffs this year.

Maybe they were just tired from winning 2 rings in 4 years.
TGryn
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jan 3 2013, 12:40 PM) *
Maybe they were just tired from winning 2 rings in 4 years.

BB's Patriots never seem to have that problem...
Phits
QUOTE (TGryn @ Jan 3 2013, 06:27 PM) *

They also don't have the problem of playing in the NFC East. Buffalo hasn't made the playoffs in over a decade, How long has it been since Miami was relevant? or that other NY team who seems to make the post season once for every new coach.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (TGryn @ Jan 3 2013, 06:27 PM) *

Well the Giants have won their 2 rings by beating Belichick.....I'm not sure what your point is. You sarcastically call them the 'gold standard' while pointing out they didn't make the playoffs this year. Yeah well I think we'd be pretty happy with our organization if we were the Giants.
Rick
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jan 3 2013, 07:29 PM) *
Well the Giants have won their 2 rings by beating Belichick.....I'm not sure what your point is. You sarcastically call them the 'gold standard' while pointing out they didn't make the playoffs this year. Yeah well I think we'd be pretty happy with our organization if we were the Giants.

Exactly. The Giants have it figured out. I can tell you I'd be quite happy with an organization like the Giants who tend to be relevant most seasons and often are even more than that.

Other than the Patriots, how many other REAL success stories for the HC to also run the personnel decisions? For the most part, it ends in disaster. Being an HC in the NFL is hard enough and takes enough time/effort to be successful that it leaves little time to act as a GM.
TGryn
* A lot of Giants fans were less than pleased with how the season ended...just like a number of Eagles fans were calling for Reid's firing after '05. Its a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately league, and the Giants failed this year. Heck, they even lost to us and were up-and-down all year. That's not a team that has it "figured out," that's a team that doesn't know what they are or where they're going.

* When you've got 90% of the league using the HC-and-GM arrangement, there isn't a good enough sample to compare it to the HC-as-GM setting in terms of which works better. To put it another way, most of the Super Bowl winners have a HC and GM, but most of the teams that have a losing record also have that setup, and for every Coughlin/Reese combo, there's many more Millen/Mornhinweg and Shurmur/Heckerts out there.

Either way can work, if you have the right person(s) in place, or fail if you don't...or fail also if you have two or more good people who can't agree on how to divide up the power, such as Reid/Banner/Modrak. The "buck stops here" arrangement at least preempts the last problem.
Dreagon
And the Chiefs just fired Scott Pioli

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/...has-been-fired/

Could this be removing him for a coach who doesn't want a GM in the way?
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Jan 4 2013, 10:49 AM) *

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/...has-been-fired/

Could this be removing him for a coach who doesn't want a GM in the way?

They are likely going to bring in John Dorsey from GB or Heckert.
Phits
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Jan 4 2013, 10:49 AM) *
[

That was expected, especially with the hot mess that is the KC franchise.
BirdsWinBaby
It's official...KC and AR Have an agreement. Just hours after Pioli got the boot. Clearly AR. Will get to select whatever figurehead GM he wants and he will be allowed to continue making all decisions like he always has

Yea um...good luck with that
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.