Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The argument for Mike Nolan as our next HC
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Phits
Mike Nolan <--LINK

Tommy Lawlor wrote the following:

During the 2005-2008 period. Nolan drafted/developed a lot of talent:

QB Alex Smith
OG David Baas (now the C for the Giants)
RB Frank Gore
OG Adam Snyder (now w/ Cards…has 65 career starts)
TE Vernon Davis
LB Manny Lawson (now w/the Bengals)
RB Michael Robinson (now FB for Seahawks)
LB Parys Haralson
TE Delanie Walker
LB Patrick Willis
LT Joe Staley
DE Ray McDonald
SS Dashon Goldson
CB Tarell Brown
WR Josh Morgan (now w/ the Skins)
OG Harvey Dahl (was on practice squad, got signed away, now starter for Rams)

Nolan also had the team sign DE Alex Smith.

If you look at that list, you’ll see many of the key players for the SF team that has been so dominant the last 2 years.

There were also issues with how Nolan dealt with players. He questioned the severity of Smith’s shoulder injury and that led to some hard feelings. Nolan was tough on other players and they didn’t care for his screaming.

The good news is that Nolan learned from that. He’s a changed man now and gets along with his players much better. Gone is the fiery screamer. He’s able to control his emotions much better and the Falcon players love playing for him. Nolan also got along very well with his players in Miami last year.

He goes on to compare him to Beli-cheat over there with the Patsies. It's a stretch, but the argument is valid one
Zero
Forget the previous request unless there's more.
mcnabbulous
Did he really pick those players? Or did they have a strong FO? The latter would be my guess.
HobbEs
Even if he did pick the players who say's it won't be Howie running the draft here?
GQSmooth
I'm intrigued by Nolan as well. But Nolan really would have to blow the interview away to earn the job from my perspective. I also think the Eagles brass is married to acquiring an offensive guy. Personally my favored candidate David Shaw is unavailable. But in reviewing all the resumes for the guys under consideration Nolan has the best resume. When he ran the Giants defense it gave the Eagles problems, when he ran the defense in DC the games were close. Despite what you think of his first go around the fact remains that lifers do better the second time around. There is a tendency to bring up Belichick when comparing Nolan however one big difference I am seeing is what did the rest of the coaching staff and front office do after Nolan? Really I see it as Nolan as best of what the Eagles are looking at.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.