Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Poll: Who do you want for HC?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
Vote for your choice and give a reason why.

I voted for McCoy. He made Delhomeboy a pro bowler and he's apparently committed to adjusting the system to fit the player. In my opinion, the ability to work with Foles and structure schemes that fit the strengths of the players are the top two coaching needs for the team right now.
Rick
If Cower would come out of retirement I'd love to have him.

I also wouldn't mind Lovie Smith with Norv Turner as OC. I think that would be a nice combination.

I have also always been a big Herm Edwards guy (again with Turner as OC). I wouldn't be opposed to that.

I REALLY don't want a college coach with no NFL experience.

This team is young and I think it could use a coach like Cower to come in and kick some ass a bit. I have ALWAYS complained about Reid never really kicking ass in the locker room when someone wasn't doing what they're supposed to. Every once in a while, they need that.

If this team won't play for Cower, they won't play for anyone.
JaxEagle
I'd take Herm in a second but I don't know if he wants to coach again right now. O'Brien probably my next choice. He seems to be a leader!
mcnabbulous
I also chose McCoy. The guy has the proven ability to change is offense to match his personnel. Last year, he did it on the fly.

FWIW, Koetter apparently just signed an extension in Atlanta. So he's out of the running.
GQSmooth
I don't get the fixation with McCoy. Denver won with Tebow due to its defense. With Manning everybody looks good. What am I missing?
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (GQSmooth @ Jan 2 2013, 10:47 AM) *
I don't get the fixation with McCoy. Denver won with Tebow due to its defense. With Manning everybody looks good. What am I missing?

Certainly there is realistic concern...but they won, under any circumstance, with Tebow. Sure their defense led the way, but he completely changed their offense, mid-season, to fit Tebow's skills. That, in and of itself, is impressive.
JaxEagle
QUOTE (GQSmooth @ Jan 2 2013, 10:47 AM) *

agree
JaxEagle
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 2 2013, 10:55 AM) *
Certainly there is realistic concern...but they won, under any circumstance, with Tebow. Sure their defense led the way, but he completely changed their offense, mid-season, to fit Tebow's skills. That, in and of itself, is impressive.

True, but not sure it is impressive enough to earn the title as Head Coach of my team. Another team, sure. Not sure I want the Eagles banking on those two facts.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (JaxEagle @ Jan 2 2013, 03:57 PM) *
True, but not sure it is impressive enough to earn the title as Head Coach of my team. Another team, sure. Not sure I want the Eagles banking on those two facts.

Well, I certainly hope there is much more too it. Apparently Manning loves him though. As Z pointed out, he also made Delhomme fairly decent.

I love O'Brien, but have no interest in seeing him leave PSU. I'd also have major questions about his integrity if he were to do so, given some of the stuff he has said in the past.
HOUSEoPAIN
Write-in.

Gus Bradley or Ray Horton. I want a defensive HC, there's more than enough qualified OC's out there to run our offense.

But I'm not married to that - if we got an offensive-minded HC, I'd love to have Lovie Smith as our DC if he would accept, then we'd be fine.
Rick
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jan 2 2013, 04:56 PM) *
Write-in.

Gus Bradley or Ray Horton. I want a defensive HC, there's more than enough qualified OC's out there to run our offense.

But I'm not married to that - if we got an offensive-minded HC, I'd love to have Lovie Smith as our DC if he would accept, then we'd be fine.

I'm with you. I really want a defensive HC to bring back a little pride in our defense. As you say, there are any number of offense geniuses available to choose from for the OC position. They're not all gonna get HC positions.

Phits
The more I read up on the transformation of Mike Nolan, the more I like him.
Zero
QUOTE (Phits @ Jan 2 2013, 07:23 PM) *
The more I read up on the transformation of Mike Nolan, the more I like him.

Haven't read about his "transformation." Can you share?
JaxEagle
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 2 2013, 04:14 PM) *
Well, I certainly hope there is much more too it. Apparently Manning loves him though. As Z pointed out, he also made Delhomme fairly decent.

I love O'Brien, but have no interest in seeing him leave PSU. I'd also have major questions about his integrity if he were to do so, given some of the stuff he has said in the past.

Perhaps BOB found that there is more than advertised to the PSU mess. I wouldn't fault him for taking an opportunity to improve himself. I have admired his leadership abilities and the results speak for themselves. 8-4 in that situation (and could have been better if they would have believed more early in the season) is absolutely incredible.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (JaxEagle @ Jan 2 2013, 09:43 PM) *
Perhaps BOB found that there is more than advertised to the PSU mess. I wouldn't fault him for taking an opportunity to improve himself. I have admired his leadership abilities and the results speak for themselves. 8-4 in that situation (and could have been better if they would have believed more early in the season) is absolutely incredible.

Given some of the things he has allegedly said to recruits, I think it would be pretty disappointing for him to abandon them at this point.
JaxEagle
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 2 2013, 11:20 PM) *
Given some of the things he has allegedly said to recruits, I think it would be pretty disappointing for him to abandon them at this point.

I understand that and agree for the most part but things change beyond our control and this is business for him after all.
GQSmooth
What coach at the college level doesn't make promises to recruits? I bet 75% of people stating BOB shouldn't leave due to promises to recruits would have no problems with taking Nick Saban.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (GQSmooth @ Jan 3 2013, 11:55 AM) *
What coach at the college level doesn't make promises to recruits? I bet 75% of people stating BOB shouldn't leave due to promises to recruits would have no problems with taking Nick Saban.

Well, this situation is rather unique, and he's asked the kids to make a commitment to him during extremely trying circumstances. For him to leave them high and dry after they've stuck by him would leave a bit to be desired, in my opinion.

Also, Nick Saban is a snake. I personally wouldn't want him.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 3 2013, 12:19 PM) *
Also, Nick Saban is a snake.

They're all snakes. It's the nature of their business. DTA >> Don't Trust Anyone
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Jan 3 2013, 12:44 PM) *
They're all snakes. It's the nature of their business. DTA >> Don't Trust Anyone

While this may be true, the biggest argument that most people have made in favor of hiring BOB is his integrity and leadership. If he doesn't have that, his coaching credentials aren't good enough to make him a hot commodity.

Tommy Lawlor just made a great reference:

This is reminiscent of the old Groucho Marx saying that “I would never join a country club that would have someone like me as a member”.

GQSmooth
Penn State lied to him or underestimated the NCAA. Don't see why he should honor a commitment that was fraudulent.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (GQSmooth @ Jan 3 2013, 03:43 PM) *
Penn State lied to him or underestimated the NCAA. Don't see why he should honor a commitment that was fraudulent.

How do you know that's true? I don't believe Penn State expected the NCAA to do what they did. No one did. Even the NCAA admitted that the circumstances typically wouldn't fall under their jurisdiction. You may have noticed a little lawsuit that's making some noise regarding the issue.
And like I said, he made commitments to the players based on loyalty.
DuckLover
So here's the site that's probably done most background into Chip Kelly. Lots of analysis of the offense from a fan's perspective. http://fishduck.com/2013/01/what-every-nfl...out-chip-kelly/
Eyrie
Kelly could be boom or bust, which may make him an ideal choice for those that want O'Brien. Either he is an instant success or after two years you can get O'Brien away from Penn State.

However having read the article posted about Nolan I'm leaning towards Nolan with Turner as his OC.
mcnabbulous
I've only watched a handful of Oregon games, but in my experience, Kelly always relied on being faster than the other team. Frankly, I'm sick of that mindset. The one game they played against a pro style team this year, they got stuffed.

On one hand, it's impressive that he's had so much success without having an NFL caliber QB. On the other hand, he's never developed an NFL caliber QB.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 3 2013, 07:35 PM) *
I've only watched a handful of Oregon games, but in my experience, Kelly always relied on being faster than the other team. Frankly, I'm sick of that mindset. The one game they played against a pro style team this year, they got stuffed.

If you just saw the opening kickoff of tonight's game...then you might have a sense of what I was talking about.
mcnabbulous
Hot off the press. Consider me pleased. Apparently he interviewed with Philly today and Cleveland earlier this week.

@caplannfl: Bill O'Brien will stay at Penn St. No more interviews, source confirmed. There you go.

JaxEagle
Apparently Gus Bradley is a candidate now. I think I'm more interested in him than the interim coach from Indy. Although, to be honest, this year's coaching crop is no more interesting than this year's draft crop. Hell of a time to have the #4 overall pick and need a coach...
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (JaxEagle @ Jan 4 2013, 05:02 PM) *
Apparently Gus Bradley is a candidate now. I think I'm more interested in him than the interim coach from Indy. Although, to be honest, this year's coaching crop is no more interesting than this year's draft crop. Hell of a time to have the #4 overall pick and need a coach...

Gus Bradley = Awesomeness
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.