Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Commonwealth of PA to sue NCAA
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
mcnabbulous
Curious to see how this plays out. Apparently regarding antitrust issues with the NCAA. Corbett is holding a presser in State College tomorrow. Inevitably they are trying to get more control of the $60M fine, but it sounds like they are going to address all of the sanctions.
http://apne.ws/Uj86ie

mcnabbulous
Wow, Corbett filing federal anti-trust suit asking that all sanctions be declared illegal and thrown out.

Guess that guy finally realized how pissing off the entire PSU alumni base wasn't good for his political standing in the state.

GQSmooth
Why didn't Corbett do something when he was AG, could have solved a lot of issues the NCAA suspended Penn State.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (GQSmooth @ Jan 2 2013, 12:29 PM) *
Why didn't Corbett do something when he was AG, could have solved a lot of issues the NCAA suspended Penn State.

Everything Corbett does is self/politically motivated. I do think it's pretty funny that when the sanctions were announced, Corbett was all buddy-buddy with Emmert and the NCAA. Now that his political ass is on the line, that has quickly changed.

There are a few interesting things at play though. Would the NCAA really want to see this go to court and have all their dirty laundry out in the open? If the court rules for the state of PA, does that open the NCAA up for other lawsuits?

I've seen some speculation that Corbett was playing along months ago because seeing things move so quickly inevitably would lead to mistakes being made and laws being broken. I don't know that he's quite that savvy.

From what I have seen, most people tend to think the NCAA overstepped their jurisdiction. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.
TGryn
I think a lot of it was Corbett punishing Spanier for supporting his opponent when Corbett was running for governor, which reportedly he took very personally. Now that Spanier's no longer the PSU president, the almighty dollar takes precedent.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (TGryn @ Jan 2 2013, 03:42 PM) *
I think a lot of it was Corbett punishing Spanier for supporting his opponent when Corbett was running for governor, which reportedly he took very personally. Now that Spanier's no longer the PSU president, the almighty dollar takes precedent.

That's quite possible. Not just the almighty dollar, but the almighty "holy shit, there are a lot of PSU alumni that won't be voting for me in 2014!"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.