Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jeff Lurie's press conference just wrapped up
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
SAM I Am
Surprisingly to me, he did use the F word when talking about Reid. The F being Fired, not the other one.

Says he didn't actually decide to fire Andy until this morning, and then told him at 9am.

Said he was considering firing him for the past month.

Said him, Howie and team president Don Smolenski will make the decision on who the new HC will be.

Said he has been compiling a list of possible replacements for the past month, and is looking for a guy who is a leader, not looking for a certain scheme, etc... He didn't name any names.

Said he isn't in a hurry to hire a coach, but more importantly to hire the right one.

Said all of the other coaches are under contract and if they want to stay, that will be the new HC's decision. It will also be up to the new HC which players go, and which ones stay.

The new HC will report directly to Lurie as did Andy.

Has complete confidence in Howie. Times yours Howie.

Eyrie
Cheers for the summary - saves me sitting through it.
Rick
I must say I was impressed by Lurie. It was obvious that he was pained having to fire Andy. It was also obvious he's been unhappy with the team's performance for a while this season. He seems like he takes the losses personally.

I was also impressed that he gave us insight on how he's made the mistakes as well as Andy.

I had never thought much either way of Lurie except that it's nice to have an owner who doesn't meddle too much with the team. But, after his press conference today, I'm more of a fan of him. Let's just hope he gets a good HC in who can make a turnaround.
nephillymike
I like Lurie. I agree with having an onwer who isn't the center of attention.

The part of the presser I didn't believe was the part about Roseman.

The 2010 and 2011 drafts weren't his, but the 2012 was? It was like Howie had no responsibility for the 11-12 but he owns the '12. You don't promote someone to that position unless you felt he had a significant positive in his experience in drafts with the team. At the time of his promotion, the Eagles still believed they had good drafts in 11-12 and they believed Howie was inregal in that. That is my opinion. It doesn't make sense otherwise. Banner was "fired" because he was the one responsible for letting Dawkins go elsewhere. Joe lost favor in the organization that day. My opinion.
mcnabbulous
My biggest problem with the Roseman stuf...

Just because he may be a good evaluator, which I'm still skeptical about, doesn't mean he knows how to build a roster/champion.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 31 2012, 07:35 PM) *

The 2010 and 2011 drafts weren't his, but the 2012 was? It was like Howie had no responsibility for the 11-12 but he owns the '12. You don't promote someone to that position unless you felt he had a significant positive in his experience in drafts with the team. At the time of his promotion, the Eagles still believed they had good drafts in 11-12 and they believed Howie was inregal in that. That is my opinion. It doesn't make sense otherwise. Banner was "fired" because he was the one responsible for letting Dawkins go elsewhere. Joe lost favor in the organization that day. My opinion.

what Lurie said without coming out and saying it was that Roseman deferred to Banner until the 2012 draft and what he said directly was that he reveiwed the evaluations of players from each party involved in the process and Roseman's evaluations were the best, not that the picks they actually made in 10 or 11 were his picks. Like most things here some folks hear what they want. Apparently Lurie, who is the only one who really knows just how much input each person had in the draft process, is really sold on Roseman. He was emphatic in his support and the reasons why.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 31 2012, 07:41 PM) *

Just because he may be a good evaluator, which I'm still skeptical about, doesn't mean he knows how to build a roster/champion.

Just because "Football brains" have decades of football experience, doesn't mean they know how to build a roster/champion. Everything/Everybody is a question mark until the task is accomplished. How many football coaches have coached different franchises to SB titles?
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 31 2012, 07:35 PM) *

Although I agree, it may be that the team had reins on Roseman until he proved himself. If Lurie had been keeping everyone's evaluations and reviewed them all to see how they compared with how the specific players are performing it may be that the guys Howie graded have done better. Of course the potential problem is player/system match.

I also interpreted his "streamline" remarks to mean that he's backing of the "group" or "collective" decisions meaning one guy will be accountable for personnel evaluation/selection. This makes sense as long as the guy doing the evaluations is consistently good. If 2012 is the first for Howie then we really won't know that for a few more years ... right?
Zero
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 31 2012, 07:41 PM) *

This is where the GM and coach need to be able to work together. The coach defines what he needs and the GM produces a prioritized list ... sound about right?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.