Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lots of Gruden talk...
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
mcnabbulous
Jon, so there is no confusion.

I don't see it. I think it will be either Chip Kelly or a young(ish) assistant. Lurie will try to find the next Reid.
SAM I Am
Actually, I have been hearing Jay Gruden's name being bounced around more than Chuckie's.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (SAM I Am @ Dec 31 2012, 02:04 PM) *
Actually, I have been hearing Jay Gruden's name being bounced around more than Chuckie's.

I've heard that too, which is why I specified. This is all in the past 24 hours.

This is the source: http://www.phillymag.com/eagles/2012/12/31...umors-continue/
TGryn
Hate, hate, hate the idea of Jon Gruden as the next head coach. It's basically replacing Reid with a guy who did the same thing - gradual descent from SB team into oblivion - with Tampa, and has been out of coaching for three years to boot.

I figure its like Jaws-as-GM: being on TV gives a lot of exposure to the fans, so is always a hot name on any list of prospectives. Matt Millen's a cautionary tale of how that can work out, though.
Reality Fan
I think the thing to remember is that a lot of these names are being thrown around are all bullshit. It is guys throwing names around hoping they stick and then saying "I had That". Lurie was pretty direct in his PC. He was specific that he did not want a "scheme" guy, he wants a "leader of men". I am guessing that the new coach comes with NFL experience and may be a proven big name. Derrick Gunn brought up Cowher again which seemed odd but it was right after he did a one on one with Lurie after the PC.
mcnabbulous
Since I posted this, I've seem several beat guys say that they believed guys like Cowher and Gruden were ruled out, based on Lurie's words.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 31 2012, 09:58 PM) *
Since I posted this, I've seem several beat guys say that they believed guys like Cowher and Gruden were ruled out, based on Lurie's words.

which is funny because Gunn is still bringing his name up.......the reason some beat guys have given is Donahue being an adviser but Gunn is closer to the FO and the team than any other beat guy...I am not saying that Cowher is top of the list but Gunn is connected and he came out a stated flatly that Cowher is on the list but that he may not be interested.
Pbfan
i would love cowher to coach us. I didn't hear any talk of him wanting to come out of retirement though...
JaxEagle
QUOTE (Pbfan @ Jan 1 2013, 02:54 AM) *
i would love cowher to coach us. I didn't hear any talk of him wanting to come out of retirement though...

No thanks
Eyrie
I'd have taken Cowher a few years ago, but he's been out of coaching now for too long.

That also counts against Gruden, but it's his track record of wanting older players rather than developing players that puts me off.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.