Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is Chip Kelly the second coming of Spurrier?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
HobbEs
Or does anyone think he can succeed in the NFL?

I keep reading how the Eagles are going to pursue Kelly once the season ends. Granted, there are going to be a few HC vacancies and he's not a lock for us at all. But does the recent trend of college coaches having success in the NFL give anyone hope? Or would this be another failed experiment?

I haven't really followed Oregon so I don't know much about him or his scheme other than what I've read. I'm curious what the rest of the board thinks...
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Dec 26 2012, 11:21 AM) *
Or does anyone think he can succeed in the NFL?

I keep reading how the Eagles are going to pursue Kelly once the season ends. Granted, there are going to be a few HC vacancies and he's not a lock for us at all. But does the recent trend of college coaches having success in the NFL give anyone hope? Or would this be another failed experiment?

I haven't really followed Oregon so I don't know much about him or his scheme other than what I've read. I'm curious what the rest of the board thinks...

The few college coaches who have gone and had success in the NFL have all had prior NFL experience as either a coach or a player - Harbaugh spent over a decade in the league, and Carroll spent many years as an NFL coach before the last decade when he went back to college as a HC, and now of course he's an NFL HC. I would rather have an established NFL coordinator, Chip Kelly's story is interesting but I'm not sure I want to bring in a college 'offensive genius,' especially after seeing 14 years of an experienced NFL coach who thinks he's smarter than everyone else. He runs a spread offense.
Zero
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Dec 26 2012, 12:03 PM) *
I would rather have an established NFL coordinator, Chip Kelly's story is interesting but I'm not sure I want to bring in a college 'offensive genius,' especially after seeing 14 years of an experienced NFL coach who thinks he's smarter than everyone else.

I agree 100%. There're a few coordinators whose names have been thrown around as potential HC cadidates. Personally, I'd rather see them hire a DC who is bright enough to fix the defense and who will hire an OC who will have an offense to compliment the D; both of whom are smart enough to flex a system to match their personnel strengths.
mcnabbulous
I tend to agree with the others. After a decade-plus of Reid, I don't know how Eagles fans could get excited about another guy who seems focused on out-scheming the other guys. I'd like to get back to being a bit more physical.

There's no evidence that Kelly knows how to build a defense, either.
Bez
Chip Kelly has no class. Not that the PaAc 10 and now 12 has ever been a highlight nationally other than USC but..... Hard hitting , spoken or non spoken encouragement to take players out of the game /season ..... Its an integral part of the Pac 12. Chip's BS strategy will not work well I reckon. Might as well hire Tedford seeing he seemed to be trying to coach a college team like they were an NFL team as far as play book stuff. Seriously I would hire Jeff Tedford before Chip any day , and there is precedent for that.
GQSmooth
Chip Kelly's lack of NFL experience is a big red flag to me. He also had limited experience at the college level prior to Oregon. Here's another red flag with Kelly good offenses with a lack of defense. Seems to me if he had fielded a good defense he would have a national championship by now. For him to jump to the NFL (especially without experience) would be a big adjustment with the speed of the game across the league, the rules on practice time and the egos of NFL players.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.