Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nick Foles Yea or Nea??
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
We are all arm chair GM's today. We have seen the last of Nick Foles for the rest of the year.

Here is a snapshot of the situation:

1. We have the most available cap space at $22.1M currently. So assuming they do not lose that cap money and can roll it over like they normally do, we have the most financial flexibility of any team in the NFL.

2. We will likely have either the 3rd,4th,5th, or 6th selection in the first round.

3. We have the following significant payroll expense savings opportunities next year. The first number is his contracted salary, the second number is the cap hit if we cut him the last number is the total savings:

Name................2013 Salary...............Cap Hit...........Savings
J. Peters...............10.7M......................0..................10.7M
D. Bell...................9.6M......................0....................9.6M
M. Vick.................17.9M.....................7.2M..............10.7M
N. Asumugha........15.3M.....................4.0M...............11.3M
B. Celek................4.5M......................1.2M................3.3M
J. Avant................2.7M.......................1.4M...............1.3M
T.Cole..................5.3M........................6.4M...............(1.1M) Costs us more to cut him in cap space.

4. Trade rules. If we trade anyone, we take the cap hit as above and the team he goes to has to pay him per the terms of the contract. So we'd be trading our mistake for their mistake and it would be very cap expensive. For example, if we traded Vick for another overpaid underperforming player from another team, we'd get hit with 7.2M for Vivk dead money plus whatever salary the other guy had. (ie $8M for Sanchez). Forget about trades. Fiscally unlikely.

5. Free agent QB's. As of now, Flacco could be out there. A. Smith is not but is thought to be cut to free him up. Other second tier free agent QB's in 2013 = Cambell, Grossman, T. Jackson, B. Quinn, D. Stanton, M. Moore.

6. QB Draft Prospects. Here's a list of them and where they are projected to go and where they rank overall in talent by the scouts as compared to other players in the draft at any position:

Name...........Bleacher Sel#......Walter..........CBS....DraftScoutRank...ScoutInc Rnk
G. Smith............1st..................1st.............1st..............10th......23rd
M. Barkley..........4th.................33rd...........11th............18th......31st
T. Wilson...........10th.................7th............8th..............26th......35th

So, we won't get a shot at Smith, unless we trade up and they have him rated the 10th or 23rd best pick so why reach?
It looks like we should be able to draft Barkley or Wilson. Supposedly, the 2014 crop of QB in the draft is better, but no guarantee we will be bad enough to get them.

So, here are the options:

1. Stick with Foles and do not draft Barkley or Wilson Sign a second tier backup for insurance like Moore or Cambell etc..
2. Keep Foles, but draft Barkley or Wilson and may the best QB win.
3. Sign Flacco or Smith and keep Foles as insurance backup

I go with option #1. Although his QB rating is a mediocre 79, he has shown enough pocket savvy, leadership, accuracy, guts (played with a broken hand and if not for a TE drop would have went to OT). He is not intimidated by the job or the responsibility. Shows good maturity. And he's playing with a dreadful OL and played most of his time wothout his best RB and his best WR. It's worth another chance in 2013, with a second tier backup as insurance.

We can address other needs in the draft and we can sign whoever we want in FA as we have practically unlimited cap funds after making a few cuts of overpaid veterans.

I can see us being in the thick of it next year. 8-8 or better. No need to take giant steps back.
VICKtory
Great post. I agree with your option of signing a second tier qb.

Other than qb who should be available this offseason in FA? I'd love nothing more than us to sign a safety that is qualified to start in the nfl
Rick
I tend to agree. There just isn't another QB coming out this year which makes me want to do something stupid to get him. Let's stick with Foles for next season, see what he's got. If Flacco is available, I might be inclined to make a bid for him but his road performance worries me a bit. I really don't think Smith is really that much better than Foles as it stands right now and I believe Foles will get better in the offseason.

I'd rather use that high draft pick as either trade bate for some killer defensive help or to draft someone who can help us in our other areas of need.

I'm not expecting much of anything next season so I'd take advantage of that to retool a bit.
nephillymike
Free Agents of Interest Other Than QB's already mentioned:

In order of my preference:

1. FS Jarius Byrd BUF (should have got him last year)
2. WR Dwayne Bowe KC - his size and speed will upgrade the smurfs
3. CB Tracey Porter DEN - with the 11M we're saving jettisoning Nnamdi + loss of DRC need CB"s
4. CB Quentin Jammer SD - same as above - you need two b/c our backups are poor
5. TE Jarred Cook TEN - I coveted this guy since he was drafted. Celek is a #2. Cook makes him so.
6. OLB Anthony Spencer DAL - an upgrade at a reasonable price
7. OG Andy Levitre BUF - send the firemen back to the firehouse, use Heremeans at OT unless you get stud in draft.

With the money we have and what I save from cutting the dead weight below, I expect 6 of these 7 (or others in the spots mgt targeted).. Don't leave me with 12 losses and 22M of cap space next year.

I cut ties with Nnamdi, DRC, N. Allen, Vick, D. Bell, Watkins. I am

I draft:

1. OT
2. SS
3. CB
4. OG
5. OLB
6. TE
mcnabbulous
Was Byrd available last year? I can't imagine Buffalo allowing him to leave.
nephillymike
I remember him being on my radar.

Idon't know if he was restricted or signed a one year deal or whatever, but he was on the list.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.