Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bill Walsh's WCO had big wideouts to get YAC
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
ClydeSide
We have guys that dive to the ground: GAC (GRASS AFTER CATCH)
mcnabbulous
Self tacklin' Jeremy Maclin
ClydeSide
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 23 2012, 02:30 PM) *
Self tacklin' Jeremy Maclin

Jackson does the same thing. Dwight Clark was more like Riley Cooper. And we have no one like Jerry Rice.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (ClydeSide @ Dec 23 2012, 02:33 PM) *
And we have no one like Jerry Rice.

There aren't many of those around.
ClydeSide
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 23 2012, 03:00 PM) *
There aren't many of those around.

Cincinnati has one that's pretty close. So does Detroit. They ARE around--just not around the Linc.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (ClydeSide @ Dec 23 2012, 03:16 PM) *
Cincinnati has one that's pretty close. So does Detroit. They ARE around--just not around the Linc.

The Eagles haven't had many top-4 picks in the past decade. That's where those guys tend to be.
ClydeSide
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 23 2012, 03:27 PM) *
The Eagles haven't had many top-4 picks in the past decade. That's where those guys tend to be.

Great teams [Giants, Patriots, Steelers, Saints] get what they need. The others don't.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (ClydeSide @ Dec 23 2012, 03:41 PM) *

Great teams [Giants, Patriots, Steelers, Saints] get what they need. The others don't.

Great teams have QB's that make the people around them better. Marques Colston looks much better because of Drew Brees. Not the other way around. Tom Brady made Jabar Gaffney look like an NFL caliber WR.
mcnabbulous
Ill also point out that none of those teams you mentioned have a big time stud receiver. Or notably better than the guys we have.
ClydeSide
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 23 2012, 03:50 PM) *
Ill also point out that none of those teams you mentioned have a big time stud receiver. Or notably better than the guys we have.

You obviously are a genius.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (ClydeSide @ Dec 23 2012, 04:00 PM) *
You obviously are a genius.

What does your snarky response have to do with the fact that you're wrong. The eagles have never been in a position to get a Calvin Johnson or AJ Green. Those guys aren't even on good teams.
It's like when a certain board member was arguing that the Eagles should use McCoy more like how the Lions used Sanders. As if the Lions of the 90's were some model franchise.
You don't need stud receivers. You need a QB. Our receiving core, while not great, is hardly our biggest problem.
Keenan24
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 23 2012, 04:06 PM) *
What does your snarky response have to do with the fact that you're wrong. The eagles have never been in a position to get a Calvin Johnson or AJ Green. Those guys aren't even on good teams.
It's like when a certain board member was arguing that the Eagles should use McCoy more like how the Lions used Sanders. As if the Lions of the 90's were some model franchise.
You don't need stud receivers. You need a QB. Our receiving core, while not great, is hardly our biggest problem.

A great team is just that..a great team. If you want to be consistently great you need a great QB.
But if you want to be be great just for one season.......well, it does happen.

This team is missing any sort of heart...period. Whether that comes from your coach, qb, individual leader....there aint enough heart.
I know that aint the only problem and yes of course we need a qb (i aint sold yet on Foles, kids ok but nothing he does blows the wind up my skirt) but god damn they just seem lackluster everywhere......
mcnabbulous
I would agree with almost all of that. Being great for just one season with anything less than a very good QB hasn't happened in a decade. Eli is probably the worst one to win a SB in that time...and he was obviously a #1 pick.

My main point is that our FO has made countless personnel mistakes over the past several years. Not acquiring a big time, stud WR is far from the top of that list.
Keenan24
Ya i can't argue that. Even if we had gotten a top ten pick im not sure
we would have a special player.... We seem to squander our picks in
that we have more misses than hits. I'd be happy with a complete
shakeup... I'd take the few terrible seasons just for the hope of some
real change in the future.... This delusional false hope the last fee seasons
is no fun lol
Reality Fan
I am still trying to figure out who the "Big" WRs were for Walsh that got the YAC?????

Rice was never "big"...he is 6'2" in cleats maybe but he was never physically imposing ala Owens or either Johnson. Clark was certainly not a YAC guy...great hands, no wheels and Freddie Solomon was tiny. John Taylor was more a Seifert guy and another slim guy.

Not real sure who you mean here.........
Eyrie
I think "big" is a relative term.

We have Jackson 5'10", Macklin and Avant 6' and Johnson 5'8". Cooper 6'3" is our only tall WR (McNutt has played too little to count).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.