Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Slightly OT. Baseball suicide. Concussions could be the reason
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
mcnabbulous
Ryan Freel, who was a utility player primarily with the Reds killed himself today. He is said to have suffered double digit concussions during his playing days. I also saw something about his career largely being ended after being hit in the head with an errant pickoff attempt.

Sad stuff. These concussion related suicide stories aren't going away any time soon.
nephillymike
That seems really odd. Double digit concussions from playing baseball??

I only saw two guys I played with get concussions (both hit in the head with a helmet on). For one guy to get to ten, even if he played all thru the minors and into the majors seems like a ton.

You sure he wasn't a college FB player or something?

Forgetting the details for a minute, it is amazing the effect they seem to have. You wonder how many things happened in the past that were from concussions that we just did not suspect.
mcnabbulous
This was the source I had on that. This was prior to the throw that hit him in the head and ended his career.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...rtnered=rss_mlb

To your other point, this probably isn't new news to you, but you know people now think Lou Gherig didn't actually have ALS and instead suffered from ALS type symptoms that are now being associated with CTE. Being the iron horse and playing through injuries can definitely have it's downside.

As for Freel, he was the type who regularly crashed into walls and other players. I have no doubt about that number.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 23 2012, 10:19 AM) *
This was the source I had on that. This was prior to the throw that hit him in the head and ended his career.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...rtnered=rss_mlb

To your other point, this probably isn't new news to you, but you know people now think Lou Gherig didn't actually have ALS and instead suffered from ALS type symptoms that are now being associated with CTE. Being the iron horse and playing through injuries can definitely have it's downside.

As for Freel, he was the type who regularly crashed into walls and other players. I have no doubt about that number.

Didn't Lou suffer those while playing football at Columbia??
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 23 2012, 10:56 AM) *
Didn't Lou suffer those while playing football at Columbia??

Oh I can't say one way or another. That's possible. Regardless, the result likely resulted in something other than who the disease is named after, which is the ultimate irony.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.