Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mike Pettine [Jets DC] turns down contract extension
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
ClydeSide
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000011...-down-extension

PHILLY CONNECTIONS!!! Coached Central Bucks West High (so did his Dad); plus he coached at North Penns High in Lansdale. His father Mike, Sr. was 326-42-4 in 33 years at Central Bucks and won the AAAA Championship four times.

Excerpt:
A source told Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News that Jets defensive coordinator Mike Pettine has turned down an extension. His contract runs through the 2012 season.
There's been a ton of drama this year between Tim Tebow, Mark Sanchez, Rex Ryan and the not-very-talented offense. Pettine came to New York from the Baltimore Ravens with Ryan in 2009. The unit has ranked No. 1, No. 3 and No. 5 in total defense under Pettine.

Pettine admitted the defense has felt pressure to make up for the No. 28 scoring offense's struggles.

mcnabbulous
I'd be open to it. I'd be interested to know what his offensive philosophy would be as a head coach. I don't think having an uber conservative offense works in today's NFL. Regardless of how good the defense is.
HobbEs
Wansn't he a position coach here for a short while? I seem to remember him coachin under Rhodes or JJ.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Dec 21 2012, 01:01 PM) *
Wansn't he a position coach here for a short while? I seem to remember him coachin under Rhodes or JJ.

His Wikipedia makes no mention of it
ClydeSide
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Dec 21 2012, 01:01 PM) *

David Shaw did.

TGryn
The question is, was Pettine or Ryan the real architect of the defense? Because they're both going to be available, it seems.
ClydeSide
QUOTE (TGryn @ Dec 21 2012, 03:04 PM) *
The question is, was Pettine or Ryan the real architect of the defense? Because they're both going to be available, it seems.

That would be Buddy. biggrin.gif

But both Mike and Rex have beem heard yelling and screaming at eachother over the intercom--but they say they are like brothers, completely attuned to the. Mike has football in his blood--reminds me of the Harbaugh brothers and their Dad. So even though Rex got it from Buddy--I think Mike could go it alone now.
Zero
QUOTE (TGryn @ Dec 21 2012, 03:04 PM) *

I liked Buddy when he was here but I'm not excited about Part Deaux, aka Rex. I just don't want the drama.
ClydeSide
QUOTE (Zero @ Dec 22 2012, 05:21 AM) *
I liked Buddy when he was here but I'm not excited about Part Deaux, aka Rex. I just don't want the drama.

With Rex, the sideshow is distracting.

Here's what Rex had to say about Mike Pettine yesterday:

Ryan said Pettine has "the pedigree" to be an NFL head coach. "He comes from a coaching family, he's a lifelong guy that's been in this business and he's a tremendous coach, he's got great knowledge of the game, very smart, and a creative guy, a tough guy," Ryan said. "I think he'll do an outstanding job as head coach."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jet...nsion-1.4365868

Dreagon
Pettine with Norv Turner as an offensive coordinator would be a combo worthy of worry.
ClydeSide
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Dec 22 2012, 04:03 PM) *
Pettine with Norv Turner as an offensive coordinator would be a combo worthy of worry.

I have always admired Norv's offense. He had a few bad breaks in San Diego--or he would have won a Super Bowl there already.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.