Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: David Shaw (Stanford) versus Chip Kelly (Oregon)
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
ClydeSide
Interesting article about how Stanford shut down the high-powered Oregon offense last month. That loss allowed Alabama to advance to its showdown with Notre Dame. Alabama had been defeated by Texas A&M earlier. If Oregon had remained undefeated, they would have played in the big game. The article mentions that Stanford's defense is the same one put together by Vic Fangio (now with the 49ers). Nice discussion.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle...school-football
Zero
QUOTE (ClydeSide @ Dec 17 2012, 08:08 PM) *
Interesting article about how Stanford shut down the high-powered Oregon offense last month. That loss allowed Alabama to advance to its showdown with Notre Dame. Alabama had been defeated by Texas A&M earlier. If Oregon had remained undefeated, they would have played in the big game. The article mentions that Stanford's defense is the same one put together by Vic Fangio (now with the 49ers). Nice discussion.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle...school-football

I've heard alot of good things about Shaw. And, I think he's had NFL experience, right?
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Zero @ Dec 17 2012, 09:45 PM) *
I've heard alot of good things about Shaw. And, I think he's had NFL experience, right?

He was a QB coach in Philly under Rhodes.
mcnabbulous
I didn't realize he attended Stanford. I doubt he'll leave.
ClydeSide
QUOTE (Zero @ Dec 17 2012, 08:45 PM) *

Nine years: Eagles, Raiders, Ravens.
D Rock
Shaw is my first choice for our H.C.

ClydeSide
QUOTE (D Rock @ Dec 17 2012, 09:30 PM) *
Shaw is my first choice for our H.C.

I can understand that. I haven't mad up my mind yet--so many good coordinators out there. And then there's Payton......?
Zero
I've read that Shaw has said he wants to stay at Stanford. I guess that could also be a negotiating chip.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Zero @ Dec 18 2012, 06:55 AM) *
I've read that Shaw has said he wants to stay at Stanford. I guess that could also be a negotiating chip.

I think that NFL fans often underestimate the appeal of a coach staying in the college ranks. There is often better job security, the demands are fewer, and you have more control over your personnel. The main drawback is having to pander to high school kids.
As I said though, Shaw is a Stanford alum, so it's possible that is his dream job. Additionally, the types of players he surrounds himself with tend to be on the upper echelon of intelligence and integrity.
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 18 2012, 03:35 PM) *
I think that NFL fans often underestimate the appeal of a coach staying in the college ranks. There is often better job security, the demands are fewer, and you have more control over your personnel. The main drawback is having to pander to high school kids.
As I said though, Shaw is a Stanford alum, so it's possible that is his dream job. Additionally, the types of players he surrounds himself with tend to be on the upper echelon of intelligence and integrity.

True. The money however, tends to be significantly better in the NFL as well as the whole legacy aspect going to a more national level (likely appeals to those possessing a "coach's mentality").

Then again, in the NCAAs you're not forced to deal with neuvo riche asswipes.
Phits
QUOTE (D Rock @ Dec 18 2012, 05:43 PM) *
True. The money however, tends to be significantly better in the NFL as well as the whole legacy aspect going to a more national level (likely appeals to those possessing a "coach's mentality").

However, you do have 'boosters' who can be so much worse.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Dec 18 2012, 05:43 PM) *

The highest paid college guys are definitely on par with the NFL ranks these days. I have no idea where Shaw ranks, or what Stanford is willing to pay him, but Saban definitely pockets $5M+ a year. Then the shoe companies add on that to sweeten the deal.
Paterno only used to make about $500k from PSU, but Nike definitely added at least $1M to that. Probably more.
GQSmooth
Shaw is also my first choice however I've read Palo Alto is his dream job so I just dont see him leaving there no matter how much the team would be willing to offer. My second choice would be Sean Payton. I was high on Jay Gruden until I watched how the Bengals offense looked against Philly.
ClydeSide
QUOTE (GQSmooth @ Dec 18 2012, 09:38 PM) *
Shaw is also my first choice however I've read Palo Alto is his dream job so I just dont see him leaving there no matter how much the team would be willing to offer. My second choice would be Sean Payton. I was high on Jay Gruden until I watched how the Bengals offense looked against Philly.

I would prefer Mike Zimmer (DC Bengals) over Jay or Jon Gruden.
Keenan24
QUOTE (ClydeSide @ Dec 18 2012, 10:07 PM) *
I would prefer Mike Zimmer (DC Bengals) over Jay or Jon Gruden.

I'd love to have Zimmer.
ClydeSide
QUOTE ( @ Dec 18 2012, 11:12 PM) *
I'd love to have Zimmer.

He coaches the 4-3--and is one of the best defensive coaches out there.
mcnabbulous
Stanford and Shaw just reached a long-term deal.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.