Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Questions Eagles must ask before hiring Oregon coach Chip Kelly
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
QUOTE (ClydeSide @ Dec 15 2012, 09:50 PM) *

With Kelly, I'm worried about another coach that is smarter than everyone else.
Rick
I REALLY hope they don't hire a college coach. They need someone to come in and be a bit strict with this young crew of players. Not a college coach with no NFL coaching experience.
ClydeSide
QUOTE (Rick @ Dec 16 2012, 08:57 AM) *
I REALLY hope they don't hire a college coach. They need someone to come in and be a bit strict with this young crew of players. Not a college coach with no NFL coaching experience.
Well, it's a pretty young team. And look at the job Jim Harbaugh is doing. A lot of guys want Davd Shaw from Stanford--he has NFL experience. Shaw cost Oregon a shot at the National Championship. They only had one loss.

I keep looking at the systems that win (NE, Giants, and Steelers) and they are all running an Ehrhardt-Perkins style--not the WCO. GB and NO still run a version of the WCO. I prefer the Giants offense to Andy's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_England_Patriots_strategy.

Also:
Here's a discussion of the Kevin Gilbride's Giants offense:
http://coachhuey.proboards.com/index.cgi?a...p;page=1#494981
QUOTE:
You can download the old Jaguars/Gilbride/Coughlin playbooks. It's the Erhardt/Perkins system, power, pro and one-back stuff, but they run a handful of R&S plays and actually use a lot of middle read routes in conjunction with otherwise very common pro-style pass plays. They run stuff that is R&S based; when they want to throw they do a lot of "choice" type concepts with a single receiver backside and signal routes along with levels on the backside. Did this a lot with Plaxico a few years ago and Nicks now. They also run switch and some other concepts.

Bobby Petrino's offense is actually very similar to this because he spent time as OC/QB coach in Jacksonville following Gilbride but running the same offense (Petrino's background though is a one-back guy though). Petrino probably does a better job meshing the power game with the spread type passing stuff, though.

Of course, all of this goes back to Sid Gillman and the old AFL.
ClydeSide
QUOTE (Zero @ Dec 16 2012, 06:22 AM) *
With Kelly, I'm worried about another coach that is smarter than everyone else.

I hear you. But I think he's adaptable and not a self-declared genius.

Notre Dame's Brian Kelly might be the best one though--he has been a winner at every level and no matter what talent he had, HE ADJUSTED. Probably not leaving the golden dome anytime soon though.

I do hope we go to a 49er type defense (4-3 one gap, cover 4) and a New England style offense. I thinks Foles would thrive in that offense.

David Shaw from stanford has NFL experience. And being a coordinator doesn't gurantee a guy will be a great HC.

D Rock
Jim had an NFL pedigree as a player.
ClydeSide
QUOTE (D Rock @ Dec 17 2012, 01:18 PM) *
Jim had an NFL pedigree as a player.

True--but remember Jimmy Johnson--23 years as a college coach. He did a pretty good job.
mcnabbulous
Fuck Chip Kelly
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.