Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Phil Sheridan rips Howie a new one...Whoa.....
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
ClydeSide
Here are some excerpts from the article:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles...ie_Roseman.html

"It was Howie Roseman who stuck a second shiv into the back of defensive tackle Mike Patterson on Wednesday. It was Roseman, the general manager touted as a kinder and gentler contract negotiator, who slashed Patterson's pay in August and then deprived him of more money by putting him on the non-football illness reserve list."

"Nnamdi Asomugha and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, key players in the worst pass defense many of us will ever see? No pay cuts. Brandon Graham, the guy drafted ahead of Jason Pierre-Paul? No pay cut."

"The NFL is a business, and everyone understands that it isn't always fair. But when you reward bad teammates at the expense of good ones, you get the kind of chemistry we've seen weekly from these Eagles."

"And for years, the blame for that behavior was heaped upon Joe Banner....But the idea that Banner was some kind of loose cannon on Jeffrey Lurie's Good Ship Lollipop? That was a myth. We know that now.

Joe is long gone, and the Eagles still are having a Banner year."

This is the most direct and honest critque of the Eagles ownership and front office that I have ever read by the Philly beat writers. I have always maintainted that every organization is great from the top down--or NOT.

HOUSEoPAIN
I heard about this on Cataldi this morning, absolutely disgusting. Patterson is not a great player, and he's certainly been a disappointment based on where he was drafted, but he's always given it all for us, and he's our longest tenured player to date. He almost died on the field last preseason and now is recovering from brain surgery, and Roseman does this for $150,000?!?!? NFL franchises shit out $150,000, it's absolutely nothing to them. Pathetic.

Add to it the other crap this organization has pulled (as mentioned in the article) and these assholes wonder why they have a PR problem. All that's left is for Reid to get a 10-year extension tomorrow (with a $150,000 signing bonus).

By the way, this was mentioned somewhat in passing in the article.....I think this will heavily impact how free agents and potential draft picks view this organization. Word gets around quick among players and agents, Patterson's agent tore into Roseman when this happened.
GQSmooth
I think part of the story is lack of communications/pr president. Banner had laid some eggs in his day but stuff never got to the press so quickly and made the team look so bad. I don't recall a Banner special going as a national story for a low/medium profile player in the past. Only Trot/Dawkins would get play. I want to know what went on where you fire the communications pres and marketing pres at the same time and at Thanksgiving. This team is far from the 'gold standard'. What is there to make a player play hard for the organization?
TGryn
I suspect Sheridan is trying to protect some of his team sources with this article. It doesn't make any sense to me to suggest that Graham, not Tapp, should have been the one taking a pay cut, since BG has been arguably the best DE on the team this year. Tapp has been a disappointment - worse when compared to how Clemons has done in Seattle after being traded away to get Tapp - and not many tears will be shed when he's eventually cut, however nice a guy and hard worker he may be.

Jenkins had a nice year in 2011, but has been much less visible this year (except in talking to the press). His pay cut also looks very defensible.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (TGryn @ Dec 13 2012, 12:04 PM) *
I suspect Sheridan is trying to protect some of his team sources with this article

No shit. Bringing a negative sign to a game is grounds for having your status as a season ticket holder threatened, what do you think would happen to the guy who leaks info from within? He may disappear.....
mcnabbulous
Howie sucks. He has no business being an NFL GM. I was high on him for a split second, because he appeared to be aggressive. His talent evaluation blows and he has no idea how to build a team. Fuck Howie.
HobbEs
Supposedly Howie is very good at writing contracts...one of the best at it. Unfortunately that doesn't translate into common sense or people skills. Worse yet, it appears that we have another Banner clone calling the shots.

And Lurie wonders why his organinzation doen't connect with the fan base? They aren't going anywhere until they get an actual football guy in the front office.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Dec 13 2012, 03:52 PM) *
They aren't going anywhere until they get an actual football guy in the front office.

This is the sad truth. We're no better off than having Snyder or Jones calling the shots.
Bocadelphia Eagles John
Sometimes , correct that, everytime there's news out of the front office on the business side of Eagles life, my blood boils and I feel like taking it out on the pigs who are in the middle of it all. I want to smash in Roseman's face with an iron anvil.

So now it's Roseman. For years I've been hating on LurBan, then when Banner left I thought well...there goes the cancer. But noooooo ... seems we got another stinker right in the thick of it who just wants to take their friggen great big ugly ego and stink up the joing by pissin' on those who count, the guys on the roster.

I hate any news about the business side of NFL life. Eagles just seem to want to shit on the parade. And if there's no parade, they'll still dump anyway. And even if the news of the ugly dump is not entirely fair or accuracte and is a complete lie, I don't give a crap. I just automatically go into auto pilot and get so friggen hot and bothered about the stinkin' bastards who want to make sure we have some news to cringe over. So here I sit yet again ... totally irrational and with not one ounce of objectivity about , around, or with me ... I just want to torture Roseman now .. and Lurie too just for the heck of it.

Geez. I know this is crazy. Maybe I should just check myself in and wrap that jacket all around me. But not tonight. There's a game to watch. Maybe tomorrow.

It's the curse I tell ya ...

Fuck.

Go Eagles. Fuck the F.O.
Reality Fan
wow....so much negativity......Howie had a good draft this year.......he is certainly showing a need to grow into the job and his last draft shows some promise in that direction. I am not that hard on the guy......the Patterson move was a bad PR move but not unheard of. In the end they did the right thing. Sheridan is a hack who, as it was pointed out, is just shilling for sources inside the locker room. I still don't get the "Eagles are cheap" stuff though...they shell out big cash for free agents all the time but they manage their cap well....imagine that....wise business decisions from a business. Where they fall down is they sometimes completely miss the fan aspect of some decisions and they end up doing the right thing but after the fire is lit.

Certainly quibbling over a such a small amount is silly. It has no effect on FAs however, to think that is naive. They hunt money, nothing else.

Now if they hire a coach out of the high school ranks for $15/hour to replace Andy I will have to re evaluate.
Zero
What I haven't seen in this thread is that Sheridan has been aggressively attacking the Eagles for almost a year now. He was labeled as an Eagles shill before that but something happened and he made a 180 degree turn. As a result, I question everything he writes ... I don't dismiss it, I question it.
mcnabbulous
From what I see on Twitter, his bitterness stems from getting rid of McNabb. He's constantly negative towards Reid and the organization. Not that they've done too much to be positive about recently.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Dec 13 2012, 07:08 PM) *
It has no effect on FAs however, to think that is naive. They hunt money, nothing else.

They hunt money - and more importantly, those who will PAY them their money. If Howie will quibble over $150,000, he'll certainly look for loopholes in a large contract. It just isn't good business, and the PR damage is done. I guess we'll see in the off-season.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Dec 13 2012, 08:15 PM) *
They hunt money - and more importantly, those who will PAY them their money. If Howie will quibble over $150,000, he'll certainly look for loopholes in a large contract. It just isn't good business, and the PR damage is done. I guess we'll see in the off-season.

except for that little thing all the "Eagles are cheap" idiots seem to forget...the eagles have a history of overpaying FAs. Funny how facts are a bitch to fight. The Eagles try to save their money by paying their drafted players on team friendly extensions and go out and pay for big ticket FAs about every 2 or 3 years. I am not saying their approach is good or bad but to say they don't pay big bucks is simply incorrect and foolish in the face of Vick's contract as a recent example. But you the fan may not like the PR but the players don't give a rat's ass. On another note, why would he have to look for loopholes when he is the one negotiating the contract? Most of these contracts are cookie cutter contracts with the exception of the large ticket deals. I get not liking Howie or Lurie.....well...no I don't. I mean, seriously, some folks here are acting like this ownership is the same as that bitch from Major League. I mean fuck, great stadium, doesn't threaten to move the team, helps the community big time, huge charitable donor. What the fuck does this guy do that some here are so fucking angry about. It is really unrealm like the guy is fucking Jerry Jones.

I can't wait to hear the reasons....
HOUSEoPAIN

except for that little thing all the "Eagles are cheap" idiots seem to forget

I never said the Eagles are cheap, but thanks for the strawman argument. As you mention, they have a history of overpaying people.

But you the fan may not like the PR but the players don't give a rat's ass

I think they do notice things like this - most definitely their agents do. My argument is supported by the fact that Patterson's agent went straight to the press with this. Since agents are arguably more important in dealing with contracts than players themselves are, you can rest assured that this threw up a red flag. If the Eagles offer $100 million+ for someone who's over the hill and sucks (Vick), yes they will take it. But the joke is then on us, not the player.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Dec 13 2012, 09:04 PM) *
I never said the Eagles are cheap, but thanks for the strawman argument. As you mention, they have a history of overpaying people.

I think they do notice things like this - most definitely their agents do. My argument is supported by the fact that Patterson's agent went straight to the press with this. Since agents are arguably more important in dealing with contracts than players themselves are, you can rest assured that this threw up a red flag. If the Eagles offer $100 million+ for someone who's over the hill and sucks (Vick), yes they will take it. But the joke is then on us, not the player.

he went to the press to get his guy his money because it is a sensitive issue. But if you know anything about NFL contracts it is all about the front money, the equivalent of guaranteed contracts in baseball. You pony up the money on the front end and they say yes....simple as that. There is no strawman argument and I apologize for the idiot word. The fact that remains, however, is that if the Eagles offer a guy 10 million guaranteed and the Chargers offer him 9.75 then he will sign with the Eagles. The evidence to the contrary is few and extremely far between.

My point was that this is a fan PR issue and has little or no effect on FAs signing here.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Dec 14 2012, 07:29 PM) *
he went to the press to get his guy his money because it is a sensitive issue. But if you know anything about NFL contracts it is all about the front money, the equivalent of guaranteed contracts in baseball. You pony up the money on the front end and they say yes....simple as that. There is no strawman argument and I apologize for the idiot word. The fact that remains, however, is that if the Eagles offer a guy 10 million guaranteed and the Chargers offer him 9.75 then he will sign with the Eagles. The evidence to the contrary is few and extremely far between.

My point was that this is a fan PR issue and has little or no effect on FAs signing here.

I understand the basics of contracts, in that it's mostly about guaranteed money - I feel my point aligns with yours, in that we could be forced into further overpaying guaranteed money to FAs based on incidents like this where there's an issue with trust in the organization. Perhaps this is just a fan PR issue, but regardless it's not like this HELPS us.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.