Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Goodell wants to expand playoffs
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
GQSmooth
Like it wasn't already bad enough a 7-9 team got in last year. Goodell already got slapped down by a former commish last week, ruined this season trying to outpiss the refs. I wish the owners would wise up soon and get rid of Goodell before he ruins the game by allowing a rookie head coach to change all the rules.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (GQSmooth @ Dec 12 2012, 09:02 PM) *
Like it wasn't already bad enough a 7-9 team got in last year. Goodell already got slapped down by a former commish last week, ruined this season trying to outpiss the refs. I wish the owners would wise up soon and get rid of Goodell before he ruins the game by allowing a rookie head coach to change all the rules.

Money money money money money

It's the same reason now 68? teamsd get into the NCAA tourney

Before long it'll be like hockey where all but a few teams get in
Rick
I've said it before, I'll say it again...Goodell is doing to the NFL what David Stern did to the NBA...turning it into a sideshow rather than the sport it is.

I hate what Goodell has done to the NFL and feel he's ruining the game. Not just talking about protecting QBs, rather, things like this.
BirdsWinBaby
these comments make it seem as if Goodell is autonomous....he isnt

when Goodell "wants" something (especially right after owners meetings) make no mistake about the fact that its what the owners "want".....Goodell is paid to be the guy at the microphone to say it

Dreagon
Goodall is the very epitome of the word "suit".

He sees everything through the lens of corporate profit maximization without any sense of the game he is supposed to be representing. Deep down, I think he knows that and tends to overcompensate by making remarks like "defending the shield." But he's a far bigger threat to the game we have all come to love than a bunch of clowns taking "bounties" and "going after the quarterback."
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Dec 13 2012, 08:23 AM) *
But he's a far bigger threat to the game we have all come to love than a bunch of clowns taking "bounties" and "going after the quarterback."

He really has set the wheels in motion for the literal end of the sport as we know it. There's a number of issues regarding player safety that will bankrupt the league, all the while the fans will be preached to and guilt-tripped into accepting major changes in the game that makes it unrecognizable. The irony is that so many of these assholes in the media who are so quick to jump on their soapbox depend on the NFL for their jobs.

I thought Tagliabue did a good job as commissioner, it really is a shame to see this scumbag destroy the game. As far as the playoffs are concerned, I thought the 3 division 6-team format was the best format we've had yet. 3 division winners get in, 3 wild cards, and the 4th seed/1st wild card team gets to host a game. Obviously, there was always much stiffer competition getting into the playoffs with only 3 divisions, an 8-8 team making it only a happened a couple times, and a 7-9 making it was all but impossible. 10 wins sometimes didn't get you in.
make_it_rain
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Dec 12 2012, 09:17 PM) *
Money money money money money

It's the same reason now 68? teamsd get into the NCAA tourney

Before long it'll be like hockey where all but a few teams get in

Exactly. The NFL playoffs are great because only 12/32 teams make it in, with the top performers in the regular season rewarded with first round byes. It's my favorite postseason format out of any sport. I like the NBA, but I can't really take it seriously during the regular season when like half the teams make the postseason.

Wild Card weekend and Divisional weekend are probably my two favorite weekends in sports the entire year. I don't see how you can expand the playoffs without either dramatically altering the current playoff format or going to 16 teams in the playoffs.

Anyone know what # of teams / format this choad is proposing?
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ Dec 13 2012, 10:36 AM) *
Wild Card weekend and Divisional weekend are probably my two favorite weekends in sports the entire year.

Yup. Saturday and Sunday, 4 (usually) intense games.
Dreagon
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Dec 13 2012, 09:09 AM) *
He really has set the wheels in motion for the literal end of the sport as we know it. There's a number of issues regarding player safety that will bankrupt the league, all the while the fans will be preached to and guilt-tripped into accepting major changes in the game that makes it unrecognizable. The irony is that so many of these assholes in the media who are so quick to jump on their soapbox depend on the NFL for their jobs.

I thought Tagliabue did a good job as commissioner, it really is a shame to see this scumbag destroy the game. As far as the playoffs are concerned, I thought the 3 division 6-team format was the best format we've had yet. 3 division winners get in, 3 wild cards, and the 4th seed/1st wild card team gets to host a game. Obviously, there was always much stiffer competition getting into the playoffs with only 3 divisions, an 8-8 team making it only a happened a couple times, and a 7-9 making it was all but impossible. 10 wins sometimes didn't get you in.

Yeah. A sixteen team playoff is literally half the NFL. How the hell is that supposed to be "cream of the crop?" In their pursuit of more money, they are cheapening the whole process and actually damaging their product.
GQSmooth
Regular season would lose all meaning for all intents and purposes. Its bad enough, baseball, basketball and hockey have expanded playoffs enough to make their regular season an extended preseason. NFL needs to take note of the projectory of its popularity vs other sports.
BirdsWinBaby
This is a problem that started years ago when owners wanted to squeeze more cash from the NFL product by expanding the league. There are too many teams and not enough talented players to let them field a competitive team in every city

Now those owners in cities with teams who never make the playoffs want to 'lower the bar' so some more of those suckass teams have something to play for past late November every year

I don't see how this is a goodell problem just cuz he is the mouthpiece for what the owners want
Phits
QUOTE (Rick @ Dec 13 2012, 06:18 AM) *
I've said it before, I'll say it again...Goodell is doing to the NFL what David Stern did to the NBA...turning it into a sideshow rather than the sport it is.

I hate what Goodell has done to the NFL and feel he's ruining the game. Not just talking about protecting QBs, rather, things like this.

Football is a sport. The NFL is not a sport. The NFL is a business.

In their pursuit of more money, they are cheapening the whole process and actually damaging their product.

Forbes has all 32 NFL teams in the top 50 of most valued ($$) professional franchises. The objective is to make money by utilizing the sport as a medium. This is not the NFL of previous generations. The actual 'sport' takes a back seat.
Dreagon
QUOTE (Phits @ Dec 13 2012, 11:20 AM) *
Football is a sport. The NFL is not a sport. The NFL is a business.

Forbes has all 32 NFL teams in the top 50 of most valued ($$) professional franchises. The objective is to make money by utilizing the sport as a medium. This is not the NFL of previous generations. The actual 'sport' takes a back seat.

Yes. But in their haste to maximize their profit from that sport, they are destroying the model that made those teams reach the top fifty of most valued franchises. They are eating the horse they rode in on.
ClydeSide
    QUOTE (GQSmooth @ Dec 12 2012, 09:02 PM) *

I just hate that idea. That's one of the reasons I lost interest in the NHL years ago. I watched the regular games less and less--waiting for the playoffs. ?Then when the playoffs came I didn't have the same knowledge or intensity that I used to have, and then KAPUT. I don't give a shit. Forget the regular season--just go straight to the tournament. Call it May madness, or June Madness or whatever.
    This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
    Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.