Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Bengals offensive and defensive lines are huge.
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
ClydeSide
OFFENSIVE LINE
They have arguably the best pass protecting offensive line. Offensive tackles Andrew Whitworth and Andre Smith are sensational, as are interior linemen Kevin Zeitler, Clint Boling and Trevor Robinson. Whitworth is particularly impressive at left tackle. RT Andre Smith is an excellent run blocker.

DEFENSIVE LINE
With one of the best defensive lines in the league, the Bengals have reached the passer more than any other team. Geno Adkins is the best 4-3 tackle in the league right now. With 10.5 sacks he leads all defensive tackles and is first in pressures, second in QB hits, and fifth in tackles.

Their defensive ends are enormous: RDE Charles Johnson 67 and LDE Dunlap at 6'6". They combined for 12.5 sacks this year.

This is going to be a heck of a test in the trenches.

Dreagon
Their defensive line is brutal. It seemed like Romo had them in his face every play last week. And our running backs were having to dodge them in our own backfield.

Their offensive line is overrated. We got five sacks on them.
ClydeSide
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Dec 11 2012, 11:16 PM) *
Their defensive line is brutal. It seemed like Romo had them in his face every play last week. And our running backs were having to dodge them in our own backfield.

Their offensive line is overrated. We got five sacks on them.

There was a time when the Eagles had the ClydeSide and the ReggieSide and HAVOC in the middle. I miss those days. And here the BENGALS HAVE RECREATED IT!

[ReggieSide rhymes with REGICIDE.]
Bocadelphia Eagles John
Bungals L column shows 6

Some teams have figured out how to beat them despite how good, bad or indifferent their lines are.

For us it's no longer a matter of game planning and designing schemes to compensate for their strengths ... it's now just a matter of execution where we are forced to use depth from the roster. I only hope the Eagles play with as much energy as they showed last game. Then win or lose doesn't matter to me.

On the one hand I want to see my Eagles do well, and especially to see Foles show he's continuing to learn. So a win would warm my heart and make it a good viewing experience.

Lose and we hold on to better position in the draft pickings. But if we lose sloppily or fuglyly it will disgust me and I don't want to be disgusted.

Beat us if you can, but let's put up a fight and for the winning team to know they faced a worthy opponent. And if we force them into a 7-7 situation, good. I like the role of spoiler.
ClydeSide
QUOTE (Bocadelphia Eagles John @ Dec 12 2012, 12:15 PM) *
Bungals L column shows 6

Some teams have figured out how to beat them despite how good, bad or indifferent their lines are.

For us it's no longer a matter of game planning and designing schemes to compensate for their strengths ... it's now just a matter of execution where we are forced to use depth from the roster. I only hope the Eagles play with as much energy as they showed last game. Then win or lose doesn't matter to me.

On the one hand I want to see my Eagles do well, and especially to see Foles show he's continuing to learn. So a win would warm my heart and make it a good viewing experience.

Lose and we hold on to better position in the draft pickings. But if we lose sloppily or fuglyly it will disgust me and I don't want to be disgusted.

Beat us if you can, but let's put up a fight and for the winning team to know they faced a worthy opponent. And if we force them into a 7-7 situation, good. I like the role of spoiler.

I was not implying we couldn't beat them. I think it's a good test for us. Our offensive line has improved dramatically---but how can we have a King Dunlap on our team, even as a backup?

Looking to next year, I see Todd as the Todd man out. It looks like Kelly is a real tackle and Peters should alright at the left.
DallasSucksBigTime
Bengals pass protection is actually questionable. They've allowed 32 sacks this season, which is 24th in the league. It seems like they give up sacks in spurts; 3 games with 0, 3 games with more than 5.
ClydeSide
QUOTE (DallasSucksBigTime @ Dec 12 2012, 01:18 PM) *
Bengals pass protection is actually questionable. They've allowed 32 sacks this season, which is 24th in the league. It seems like they give up sacks in spurts; 3 games with 0, 3 games with more than 5.

Yes, I agree they have been streaky and I don't know enough about them to have an opinion.

Trent Cole, Fletcher, Jenkins and Graham need to attack aggressively--because Dalton will pick us apart if he has time.

I am really looking forward to watching Fletcher's progress--he has the talent to be a GREAT one. Jenkins' best days are behnd him. Graham can play the run AND the pass if he stays healthy. Thornton has shown some promise. the rest are fill ins.
Dreagon
Looking back on it, having Foles as your starter may work to your advantage playing Cincinnati. While Cincinnati's front four spent the game in Romo's face, Romo was holding the ball longer than Foles tends to. Foles quicker release may counteract a lot of their pressure.

The problem is that they are good at getting pressure without having to commit any linebackers, which limits the effectiveness of the screen as a countermeasure. Slants might be more the way to go. And ya'll will absolutely have to run the ball.
ClydeSide
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Dec 13 2012, 09:07 AM) *
Looking back on it, having Foles as your starter may work to your advantage playing Cincinnati. While Cincinnati's front four spent the game in Romo's face, Romo was holding the ball longer than Foles tends to. Foles quicker release may counteract a lot of their pressure.

The problem is that they are good at getting pressure without having to commit any linebackers, which limits the effectiveness of the screen as a countermeasure. Slants might be more the way to go. And ya'll will absolutely have to run the ball.

Good points. I thnk Foles' height helps him see the play developing much more quickly than a 6 footer.
On running the ball: the under tackle (Atkins) lines up to the outside shoulder of the LG Mathis. If Mathis can use that leverage against him and kick him out, Brown would have a nice hole. You don't want to do that a lot--but when it matters. Also, look for the counter trey--it works great against an aggressive DT. The stretch play got smothered last week. They need to do some inside zone to keep the d-line honest. Brown can slash--so I was surprised we didn't stick with that more.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.