Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: He's never going to be an all pro player
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
xsv
Never.

But its hard not to like this Foles kid.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (xsv @ Dec 9 2012, 04:29 PM) *
Never.

I don't know what to think......I never liked Kolb because he always seemed nervous to me......Foles does not look like that. He has work to do and he needs to flatten his downfield throws a little but he does not seem to get flustered. He may be even better than I think because he has all the tools and the personality....a years growth will be very interesting to see.
Eyrie
Thought he did fine today, and showed nice poise on the winning drive.

With an offseason to improve and a decent OL then we've found our next QB. And with a McCoy/Brown pairing at RB, Foles won't need to be an All-Pro anyway.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Dec 9 2012, 05:43 PM) *
I don't know what to think......I never liked Kolb because he always seemed nervous to me......Foles does not look like that. He has work to do and he needs to flatten his downfield throws a little but he does not seem to get flustered. He may be even better than I think because he has all the tools and the personality....a years growth will be very interesting to see.

I'm almost exactly in the same boat regarding Foles...and Kolb. That guy had no pocket presence. Don't necessarily love Foles' style, he seems a bit goofy on the field. But he does seen to have the head for it.
VICKtory
QUOTE (xsv @ Dec 9 2012, 04:29 PM) *
Never.

I wouldn't say never, he still has a ton of room to get better. He did lead this team to a victory today WITHOUT MUCH HELP FROM THE RUNNING GAME which he's had the past few games. If he can pull off more fourth quarter drives like this I'll have no complaints

I really think the sky is the limit with this kid
ClydeSide
QUOTE (VICKtory @ Dec 9 2012, 05:20 PM) *
I wouldn't say never, he still has a ton of room to get better. He did lead this team to a victory today WITHOUT MUCH HELP FROM THE RUNNING GAME which he's had the past few games. If he can pull off more fourth quarter drives like this I'll have no complaints

I really think the sky is the limit with this kid

He did what McNabb could never do: come from behind in the fourth quarter.

Special teams blew up again: he overcame it.
The running game stunk: he overcame it.
He got sacked and hurried the whole game: he over came it.
Clock working against him with less than a minute: he overcame it.

The WCO is extremely technical. That's why they don't run it in college. This kid is smart as hell. VERY IMPRESSIVE GAME.
VICKtory
QUOTE (ClydeSide @ Dec 9 2012, 05:29 PM) *

The WCO is extremely technical. That's why they don't run it in college. This kid is smart as hell. VERY IMPRESSIVE GAME.

Can't wait to see what he can do next year with what will hopefully be a healthy and much improved line
ClydeSide
QUOTE (VICKtory @ Dec 9 2012, 05:30 PM) *
Can't wait to see what he can do next year with what will hopefully be a healthy and much improved line

Given time in the pocket, Foles can throw the hell out of it.
Reality Fan

why does every discussion about the future turn to this? It is one thing to say something like this if it were true but it is so damn dumb because although your memory may suck McNabb actually did well at the end of games and end of halves in general. Regardless of occasional time management problems it has been demonstrated here with factual back up from NFL.com game logs that your point is pretty wrong.

Now just enjoy Foles and lets leave history revision for other sites.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (ClydeSide @ Dec 9 2012, 05:51 PM) *
Given time in the pocket, Foles can throw the hell out of it.

he does throw well or accurately while running but his deep ball worries me. He has a strong arm and in preseason he was throwing a hard flat deep ball and now he is throwing a high deep ball. I am not sure if that is because he was under pressure when he threw them today but hopefully he learns a happy medium between the 2.

I just like the fact that he seems relaxed under pressure. Kolb was always skittish.
Dr. Claw
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Dec 9 2012, 07:16 PM) *
I just like the fact that he seems relaxed under pressure. Kolb was always skittish.

Yeah, I like him WAY more than Kolb. Kolb just seemed like the ultimate version of the "He's not McNabb, thus he's BETTER!!!!!!!!111" crap that we had to deal with when he was here, so that added to it. This even before you get into the drafts the Eagles could have had, would they not have traded down for him. Kolb might be my 2nd most disliked starting Eagle QB since I've ever been a fan (#1 is Hoying).

I could see the Eagles hanging a flyer on Foles in the post-Andy era. He reminds me of Drew Bledsoe in his Patriots days. Not the fastest guy around but eventually someone dependable. He's the kind of QB that Bill Parcells valued on his teams and if this team played something closer to "Parcells Ball" I'd have no problem with him in the future. That requires a defense worth a crap. But the Eagles almost have the offensive personnel for it.

It's a good thing that Foles throws a shaky deep ball now because if Andy discovers he can throw it, it's a wrap for his development. Marty will dial up the Poo Poo Platter and we have another QB getting killed with fancyball.
nephillymike
The kid did good. Pretty damn good.

Here's what I see so far thru 4 games

Pocket Pressence = B+
Accuracy = B-
Arm Strength = B
Field Vision = C- (he should have many more INT's due to droppd gifts)
Audibles = B+
Poise = B+
Attitude = B+
Size = A
Speed = C

Seems like he is comfortable. And with this horrible OL, he keeps his poise. He seems comfortable in the spotlight.

Kudos for Andy for running the ball even when it wasn' working to giv ethe kid a shot.

And just think how many weapons are out for him (McCoy, Jackson, Celek today)

They beat a better than average team that had to win for the playoffs, in their own back yard, with 10 pts worth of ST screw ups.

Good win!!

Thru 4 games he has a passer rating of 80.3, with perhaps the worst OL in the league and one of the worst DEF in the league that never gives him a short field or god forbid a TD from the DEF.

He has a rating better than Tannehill, Weeden, Luck, Locker, Gabbert, Ponder and Vick (yes the $16M man).

That group consists of the 1st, 8th and 22nd pick of this year and the 8th, 10th and 12th pick of last years drafts.

Let's see what the kid has from here on out. Maybe we don't have to look for a starting QB after all.
xsv
Pocket Pressence = B+
Accuracy = B-
Arm Strength = B
Field Vision = C- (he should have many more INT's due to droppd gifts)
Audibles = B+
Poise = B+
Attitude = B+
Size = A
Speed = C

I don't see how you can only give him a B- on accuracy. Isn't he close to 70%? His deep ball is a little off but it's nice to see a qb that can hit a receiver over the middle in stride.

Also, his speed is probably a little closer to a D than an C, to be honest.

Not sure about his field vision yet. he's definately missed a few safeties/LBers, but he's seeing open guys, so I guess that's good.

In all, a rookie in his 4th game just put the team on his shoulder and engineered a late game comeback win. That's pretty damn promising if you ask me.

Like i said, I don't think he's All Pro. But I think he's smart as hell, and very accurate. Give him some time back there, a real running game, and a solid defense, and I think we go far.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (xsv @ Dec 9 2012, 10:59 PM) *
Like i said, I don't think he's All Pro. But I think he's smart as hell, and very accurate. Give him some time back there, a real running game, and a solid defense, and I think we go far.

He's got enough arm that smart and accurate sure would seem to mean all-pro potential to me.
I'm still not completely sold. Definitely look forward to seeing him behind a capable OL.
mcnabbulous
This is pretty impressive. It definitely lends itself to feeling confident about this guy.

http://www.csnphilly.com/football-philadel...&feedID=704
Bocadelphia Eagles John

This kid is smart as hell. VERY IMPRESSIVE GAME.

Well .. I remember one game where DMac had enough time with something big to play for and he just blew it. I'm not so sure DMac Never came from behind in the 4th. But if that's true, then today is an important stamp on NF's resume for us.

And yep...very impressive game .. level of agreement ... through the roof.

Bocadelphia Eagles John
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 9 2012, 10:22 PM) *
lends itself to feeling confident about this guy.

I'm impressed but reserved. I'd say "feeling positive" and stay with that for a while. I'm not doing any annointing yet. Bue hey .. so far ... fun to watch, right ? Which FINALLY gives me a reason to watch the remaining games.

I was getting desperate there for a while. It's good to have a reason to watch my team. The disgust I carried has been smacked ... at least for a while ...

NOW .. LOOKING FORWARD TO NEXT GAME ..

Been a while since I felt that positive and interested.

GOOOOOOOOOOO EAGLES !!!!
VICKtory
Although DMac may not have been the greatest 4th quarter QB he certainly deserves some credit.

4th and 26 is my argument for that

No one was hating on him after that game
xsv
Some people have very short term memory.

During the first half of his career, Mcnabb was pretty good at 4th quarter comebacks.

He's got 17 fourth quarter comebacks and 25 game-winning drives, tied for 25th on the ALL time list, one behind Randall Cunningham who was also very good at engineering combacks.
Flying Dutchman
Smart, talented, gutsy, Foles is really growing into his role. I was impressed especially watching him step up as his protection would break down and just nail the throw. I caught myself saying, "this kid is not gunshy". He had a rep for an accurate arm for the deep ball back in college. I'm not worried about his couple of overthrows yesterday because he seemed to be chucking them while eating a helmet sandwich from some D lineman each time. Hope he continues like this again Thursday so we can see a Two-Foled improvement in our future. That might calm some of the doubters out there.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (xsv @ Dec 10 2012, 08:47 AM) *
Some people have very short term memory.

During the first half of his career, Mcnabb was pretty good at 4th quarter comebacks.

He's got 17 fourth quarter comebacks and 25 game-winning drives, tied for 25th on the ALL time list, one behind Randall Cunningham who was also very good at engineering combacks.

I definitely remember some from the beginning of his career. Specifically a night game against the Giants where I think I recall him throwing a TD to Pinkston in the corner towards the end of the game.

It does seem like they weren't as prevalent later in his career. Do you happen to have a breakdown of when they occurred?
xsv
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 10 2012, 10:00 AM) *
Do you happen to have a breakdown of when they occurred?

1999 - 2
2000 - 3
2001 - 2
2002 - 1
2003 - 5
2004 - 2
2005 - 2
2006 - 1
2007 - 1
2008 - 2
2009 - 3
2010 - 2

These are all games that were contributed to McNabb engineering either a 4th qtr comeback and win or a game winning drive, or both.
mcnabbulous
Much obliged.
ClydeSide
QUOTE (Flying Dutchman @ Dec 10 2012, 09:06 AM) *
Smart, talented, gutsy, Foles is really growing into his role. I was impressed especially watching him step up as his protection would break down and just nail the throw. I caught myself saying, "this kid is not gunshy". He had a rep for an accurate arm for the deep ball back in college. I'm not worried about his couple of overthrows yesterday because he seemed to be chucking them while eating a helmet sandwich from some D lineman each time. Hope he continues like this again Thursday so we can see a Two-Foled improvement in our future. That might calm some of the doubters out there.

After the Flying Dutchman (1958 to 1960) there was Jurgenson (57--63). Our last great quarterbacks. 50 years and still waiting. . . . . . . . . .
mcnabbulous
McNabb was great through 2004.
GQSmooth
I've seen nothing to make me think Foles won't be all-pro at some point. Like others have said he is no Kolb. I never liked Kolb because he was skittish and never felt he did anything on the field to show he deserves to be a #1 QB. Foles on the other hand earned it. The sky is the limit with Foles with the right coaching and surrounding players. The key for me is the projectory of his improvement from game to game. Another thing is, I've never seen Foles make the same mistake twice. Foles kills defenses with his audibles. He is slow as molasses but he is smart when he moves around the pocket and runs. I actually think Foles has potential to be a more accurate version of Eli.
ClydeSide
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Dec 9 2012, 07:16 PM) *
he does throw well or accurately while running but his deep ball worries me. He has a strong arm and in preseason he was throwing a hard flat deep ball and now he is throwing a high deep ball. I am not sure if that is because he was under pressure when he threw them today but hopefully he learns a happy medium between the 2.

He had the reputaion for throwing a accurate, catchable deep ball in college. What makes Foles different is that he is smart and can make the easy throws--which is what you need in the WCO. Can you see McNabb making that last throw? It would have been back across his body into double coverage.
ClydeSide
QUOTE (GQSmooth @ Dec 10 2012, 11:07 AM) *
I've seen nothing to make me think Foles won't be all-pro at some point. Like others have said he is no Kolb. I never liked Kolb because he was skittish and never felt he did anything on the field to show he deserves to be a #1 QB. Foles on the other hand earned it. The sky is the limit with Foles with the right coaching and surrounding players. The key for me is the projectory of his improvement from game to game. Another thing is, I've never seen Foles make the same mistake twice. Foles kills defenses with his audibles. He is slow as molasses but he is smart when he moves around the pocket and runs. I actually think Foles has potential to be a more accurate version of Eli.

Or maybe a faster version of Peyton Manning! cool.gif
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (ClydeSide @ Dec 10 2012, 12:17 PM) *
Or maybe a faster version of Peyton Manning! cool.gif

Based on what I saw yesterday, he's not a faster version of anyone.
ClydeSide
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 10 2012, 11:33 AM) *
Based on what I saw yesterday, he's not a faster version of anyone.

You haven't watch Peyton lately.
Bocadelphia Eagles John
QUOTE (GQSmooth @ Dec 10 2012, 11:07 AM) *
He is slow as molasses but he is smart when he moves around the pocket and runs.

I'd rather have smarts than speed. And he showed a lot of smarts yesterday.

He ran twice when the opportunity was there for him AND he made yards with them.

In trouble he either tosses it away so no one can intercept, or he protects the ball when if in serious trouble.

If someone can move up in the pocket it's a good advantage and yesterday he showed some of that. And that element has been a part of his development. And he's grasping it very quickly.

As the game slows down for him speed for him becomes less of an issue. And there too he's showing some development.

The rook is going to make mistakes. But damn, he's learning fast.

And let's not forget .. HE'S BEEN THROWN IN THERE TO THE WOLVES ... DMaC had the advantage of sitting to watch and learn before he was given the ball. I sense Andy realized Foles was actually ready at this early stage. That's evidence of some smarts I think.

SMARTS ALERT .... police.gif jumpclap.gif ac6.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.