Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kiss the Kickoff Goodbye?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
SAM I Am
I had a feeling it was going to come to this when they moved the kickoff spot from the 30 to the 35.

I found this article in the Philadelphia Daily News today.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles...me_extinct.html

[[ Commissioner Roger Goodell said Thursday the league's competition committee would consider in the offseason replacing the kickoff. ]]

[[ Tampa Bay coach Greg Schiano suggested that instead of kickoffs, teams would have the option of punting from the 30-yard line and going for a first down in a fourth-and-15 situation. ]]

I’m guessing the “going for a first down in a fourth-and-15 situation’ option would be the No Fun League’s way of replacing the onsides kick.

I understand they want to cut down on the high speed collisions (concussions, etc...), but damn, the kickoff has always been one of the most exciting plays in the game, and the onsides kick.
Dreagon
I don't think they will change it yet...but I do think this is a "warning shot" that they intend to. I think they just want to get the idea out there right now and get people used to it.
Eyrie
The change is definitely coming, but the punting suggestion seems a reasonable option.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (SAM I Am @ Dec 7 2012, 10:24 PM) *
I had a feeling it was going to come to this when they moved the kickoff spot from the 30 to the 35.

We're going down a slippery slope here which will eventually lead to an unrecognizable 'sport' not too long from now. Because naturally, when eliminating the kickoff doesn't prevent all concussions from happening, players from suffering brain damage, players killing their girlfriends then themselves, players from dying at a younger age.....then they'll have to go somewhere else.

The calls to ban high school football and college football are starting to become visible. All it takes is a court ruling or two for the floodgates to open, and for the league to become unable to survive.
Bocadelphia Eagles John
NFL Flag Football coming to your town soon ... hunch.gif rock_band.gif wacko.gif unsure.gif sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.