Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Still four months to draft....but here's the first MOCK
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
ClydeSide
Enjoy. mad.gif

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-Mo...ft-10-3639.html
Dreagon
No way. I don't care what kind of offensive woes you guys are having, I can't see yall spending that high of a pick on a guard. There are a lot of high quality offensive linemen in this draft, and you guys might be better served trading down a little and getting several of them instead of that one big gamble.

And this guy has us taking an offensive tackle when it's the middle of our line that keeps getting pushed back into to Tony's face. Hell, we're the one who needs a guard and a center.
ClydeSide
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Dec 6 2012, 10:24 AM) *
No way. I don't care what kind of offensive woes you guys are having, I can't see yall spending that high of a pick on a guard. There are a lot of high quality offensive linemen in this draft, and you guys might be better served trading down a little and getting several of them instead of that one big gamble.

And this guy has us taking an offensive tackle when it's the middle of our line that keeps getting pushed back into to Tony's face. Hell, we're the one who needs a guard and a center.

Agree--the guy's an idiot.

Andy doesn't draft well, but in terms of personnel, he did get one thing right in building a team over the years:

#1. GET A franchise QB
#2. GET BOOKEND TACKLES to anchor your line and protect #1.

Now the one thing where I would differ with Eagle management:
#3. DEFENSIVE TACKLE--these guys are the heart and soul of your defense Andy always wants technical, quick, undersized guys that can't stop the run. WE NEED TO MAKE A HUGE INVESTMENT HERE. We need HUGE, FAST, KILLER DT's upfront. The rest we can work out.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (ClydeSide @ Dec 6 2012, 10:40 AM) *
#3. DEFENSIVE TACKLE--these guys are the heart and soul of your defense Andy always wants technical, quick, undersized guys that can't stop the run. WE NEED TO MAKE A HUGE INVESTMENT HERE. We need HUGE, FAST, KILLER DT's upfront. The rest we can work out.

I would argue that DT is just about the only thing Reid has drafted well on defense. Maybe not world beaters, but we've typically had a solid rotation.
ClydeSide
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 6 2012, 10:49 AM) *
I would argue that DT is just about the only thing Reid has drafted well on defense. Maybe not world beaters, but we've typically had a solid rotation.

Bunkley and Patterson? One's a bust and the other one is AVERAGE. Screw the rotation--i want DOMINATION.

Again, the DTs are the heart and soul of the defense. I WANT JEROME BROWN. Maybe TWO of them!! laugh.gif

You know neither Reggie nor Clyde were as good when Brown died. That says something. THEN, when Reggie went to the Packers and they had GREAT defensive tackle play, Farvre won a Super Bowl, finally. REGGIE was the missing piece but they already had GILBERT BROWN.
xsv
QUOTE (ClydeSide @ Dec 6 2012, 10:58 AM) *
Bunkley and Patterson? One's a bust and the other one is AVERAGE. Screw the rotation--i want DOMINATION.

Again, the DTs are the heart and soul of the defense. I WANT JEROME BROWN. Maybe TWO of them!! laugh.gif

You know neither Reggie nor Cyde were as good when Brown died. That says something. THEN, when Reggie went to the Packers and they had GREAT defensive tackle play, Farvre won a Super Bowl, finally. REGGIE was the missing piece but they already had GILBERT BROWN.

We also drafted Corey Simon and Trevor Laws high.
mcnabbulous
I'd say its the one position where we have consistently drafted NFL caliber players. Jerome Brown was a top-10 pick. Something we haven't done often.

Cox looks like he's going to be a stud.
D Rock
I agree that we've been better at DT than other positions, namely linebacker. The list of swings and misses from Barry Gardner to Quenton Caver - from Stew Bradley to Brian Rolle is a mile long. Kendricks looks to be a real player, but he's out of position at SAM and should be our WILL. It's terrible. Second in line would be safety. We've not found ANYBODY to play the position at all under Andy save a lucky UDRFA in Q.Mikell. Considine, demps, reed (a good pick but freak bad luck) Lewis, Allen and Coleman gave us nothing to worse than nothing.

Reid inherited some great talent on D and just couldn't restock the shelves.
mcnabbulous
DE we got lucky with Cole in the 5th. Beyond that, we've probably been worse there than anywhere else. Corner we had Sheldon. Lito was adequate for a bit, but that's it. Other than that...nothing.
ClydeSide
QUOTE (xsv @ Dec 6 2012, 11:20 AM) *
We also drafted Corey Simon and Trevor Laws high.

Ouch. You had to make me revisit that, didn't you? sad.gif
ClydeSide
QUOTE (D Rock @ Dec 6 2012, 11:45 AM) *
I agree that we've been better at DT than other positions, namely linebacker. The list of swings and misses from Barry Gardner to Quenton Caver - from Stew Bradley to Brian Rolle is a mile long. Kendricks looks to be a real player, but he's out of position at SAM and should be our WILL. It's terrible. Second in line would be safety. We've not found ANYBODY to play the position at all under Andy save a lucky UDRFA in Q.Mikell. Considine, demps, reed (a good pick but freak bad luck) Lewis, Allen and Coleman gave us nothing to worse than nothing.

Reid inherited some great talent on D and just couldn't restock the shelves.

As you indicate clearly, our drafting has been horrible especially on the defensive side. However, saying that we have drafted better DTs than other defensive positions misses the point.

The real issue is:
HOW DO YOU BUILD A WINNER?

I contend that you start with the QB, offensive tackles and defensive tackles. You can get everything else. Those particular positions are extremely difficult to fill since they represent such a small percentage of the population. What you are looking for are 6-5, 320 lb men who are great athletes. Finding an Anthony Munoz or a Jerome Brown may be harder than finding a Peyton Manning, Dan Marino, Joe Montana, Tom Brady, Brett Farvre, Dan Fouts, Andrew Luck, Eli Manning, RGIII, or Donovan McNabb. Football is won upfront. Just ask Mike Vick.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (ClydeSide @ Dec 6 2012, 12:07 PM) *
Football is won upfront. Just ask Mike Vick.

Mike Vick is the last person I'll ask about what it takes to be a winner.
Football is won by passing and stopping the pass. DE is more important that DT. The game has changed.
xsv
QUOTE (ClydeSide @ Dec 6 2012, 12:07 PM) *
As you indicate clearly, our drafting has been horrible especially on the defensive side. However, saying that we have drafted better DTs than other defensive positions misses the point.

The real issue is:
HOW DO YOU BUILD A WINNER?

I contend that you start with the QB, offensive tackles and defensive tackles. You can get everything else. Those particular positions are extremely difficult to fill since they represent such a small percentage of the population. What you are looking for are 6-5, 320 lb men who are great athletes. Finding an Anthony Munoz or a Jerome Brown may be harder than finding a Peyton Manning, Dan Marino, Joe Montana, Tom Brady, Brett Farvre, Dan Fouts, Andrew Luck, Eli Manning, RGIII, or Donovan McNabb. Football is won upfront. Just ask Mike Vick.

I understand your point, and I agree with it.

However, I think this team did try to draft DT. 5 of our 30(ish) picks in the first or second round picks of the last 14 years were DT. Laws we the worst of them, but was still decent, and was drafted the lowest of them all. Simon was all pro. So was Patterson. Cox probably will be in a year or two.

I feel like we invested there. I'm not trying to defend Reid. He still sucks. But Reid invested there, IMO, rather heavily.

ClydeSide
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 6 2012, 12:22 PM) *
Mike Vick is the last person I'll ask about what it takes to be a winner.
Football is won by passing and stopping the pass. DE is more important that DT. The game has changed.

No the game is still the same. Stop the run up the middle, spill it to the outside and let the DEs, LBs, and safeties clean it up. We are getting GASHED inside.

Also, the Eagles get absolutely NO PUSH up the middle, so the opposing QBs step up into the pocket--that's the main reason the wide nine did not work and Babin and Cole have been irrelevant this year. IT ALL WORKS TOGETHER. Smash the guard and center back into Eli's mugg and you can beat the Giants.

The reason I place a higher priority on DT, is that it is more difficult to get a great DT. You can find Trent Coles.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (ClydeSide @ Dec 6 2012, 12:33 PM) *
No the game is still the same. Stop the run up the middle, spill it to the outside and let the DEs, LBs, and safeties clean it up. We are getting GASHED inside.

Also, the Eagles get absolutely NO PUSH up the middle, so the opposing QBs step up into the pocket--that's the main reason the wide nine did not work and Babin and Cole have been irrelevant this year. IT ALL WORKS TOGETHER. Smash the guard and center back into Eli's mugg and you can beat the Giants.

The reason I place a higher priority on DT, is that it is more difficult to get a great DT. You can find Trent Coles.

I think having great DE's opens up opportunities for the guys on the inside. Obviously it's great to find a stud at any position, including DT. Cox may be just that. I still would rather have a freak like Peppers or JPP on the edge though.
Pbfan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 6 2012, 04:35 PM) *
I think having great DE's opens up opportunities for the guys on the inside. Obviously it's great to find a stud at any position, including DT. Cox may be just that. I still would rather have a freak like Peppers or JPP on the edge though.

Winning the line battle makes everyone look better. Just ask Matt cassel- great in NE and then pure shit when he goes to the chiefs. It's the same for corners, LBs, RBs, etc...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.