Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trent Dilfer's comments about the Redskins offense
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
ClydeSide
Trent Dilfer on ESPN radio made some very interesting comments about the Redskins offense today. In college RGIII played in a spread offense. If the Redskins used the shotgun as the base formation it would hinder the zone running game that Shanahan has always used. Elway played under center usually.

The Redskins wanted a solution to get the most out of RGIII's athleticism and a system he would be more comfortable with. So Kyle Shanahan went to Nevada to talk to coach Chris Ault about their Pistol Offense (invented by Ault in 2005). Nevada led the nation in yardage in 2010 and second in 2009. In the Pistol Offense, the QB sets up closer (4 yards) than a normal shot gun. The running back sets up at 7 yards. That makes the handoff to the backs easier for the zone runs and keeps RGIII in position to use his athletic ability as well.

Here's more on the Pistol from Wikipedia:

The pistol formation can be used in a variety of ways, because the quarterback is closer to the line of scrimmage than a traditional shotgun formation. This allows him to see more easily over the line and make down field reads. He will also get the ball snapped to him faster, which can alter timing patterns greatly for a preparing defense. The pistol offense can effectively use draw plays, counters, and options using three wide receiver formations or multiple tight ends combined with a fullback for pass protection. In a pistol formation, hand-offs occur 2-3 yards closer to the line of scrimmage than in the shotgun. This can make for a more effective running game, but may limit pass efficiency due to quicker recognition of play-action by linebackers and defensive backs. This formation works well with dual threat quarterbacks who can both throw and run and is also used when quarterback's mobility has been limited by injury.

from College Football Geek:
" [The pistol] offense gives you "the best of both worlds." You get all the zone runs along with all the downhill running of the "I" formation because the back is exactly where he'd align in the "I."
http://www.collegefootballgeek.com/index.p...pistol-offense/

For the crazy geeks, here's Chris Ault's Playbook:
http://www.slideshare.net/11bravo/chris-au...-pistol-offense

Interesting sidenote: Colin Kaepernick played college ball at Nevada and was a master of the Pistol Offense--but San Francisco has him playing under center as the base formation.

from Wiki:
The following NFL teams have used some aspect of the pistol offense:
Kansas City Chiefs
Miami Dolphins
Pittsburgh Steelers
Detroit Lions
Buffalo Bills
San Francisco 49ers
Carolina Panthers
Washington Redskins
mcnabbulous
Good post. You're bringing some good dialog to the table. I do like what the Shanahans are doing with RGIII.

I hate how much I enjoy watching that guy play. Living in Baylor country, I can say that I saw this coming. I wish he would be a headcase, so we could anticipate his inevitable collapse, but he seems to have a great head on his shoulders.
ClydeSide

I keep looking for the weakness in his game--but I don't see any. The Redskins may have a Hall of Famer. It makes me sick to watch him. Shanahan knows how to win Super Bowls and their defense is kicking butt a well. Elway would have been effective in this offense also.
VICKtory
As much as I hate to admit it I love watching the skins play this year (still hate seeing them win of course) just so much excitement, and I end up being amazed every time I watch them.

They sure make me a little more interested in Chip Kelley if we could get an athletic QB like Geno, sounds like a pretty damn good combo with the supporting cast we have. Our zone blocking run game is already pretty damn good, just imagine that plus a triple option attack with Geno, McCoy/Brown, maybe even Polk running some FB since he should get a fair share of runs, getting djax involved the way they use Banks. Plus with the speed of our wide outs play action could lead to HUGE plays. Sure would be one explosive offense.

Doubt it'll happen of course, but sure is fun to think about
Dreagon
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 5 2012, 08:57 PM) *
Good post. You're bringing some good dialog to the table. I do like what the Shanahans are doing with RGIII.

I hate how much I enjoy watching that guy play. Living in Baylor country, I can say that I saw this coming. I wish he would be a headcase, so we could anticipate his inevitable collapse, but he seems to have a great head on his shoulders.

You live in Texas? Cool!

Yep. RGIII's success isn't that much of a surprise. I don't think we'll see anybody else like him come out of this area until Johnny Manziel hits his junior year. I'm hoping that's about when Romo's contract expires.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Dec 6 2012, 12:54 AM) *
You live in Texas? Cool!

Yep. RGIII's success isn't that much of a surprise. I don't think we'll see anybody else like him come out of this area until Johnny Manziel hits his junior year. I'm hoping that's about when Romo's contract expires.

I'm in Austin. The weather this time of year doesn't have me regretting that decision.
Johnny Football doesn't have prototypical size though, right?
Dreagon
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 5 2012, 11:58 PM) *
I'm in Austin. The weather this time of year doesn't have me regretting that decision.
Johnny Football doesn't have prototypical size though, right?

Austin is a pretty town. A tad pricey by Texas standards, but a nice place to live.

True. Manziel is smallish by NFL standards. (6'1" 205). But I think he might turn out to be one of those guys who plays bigger than he is. Of course, he's just a freshman so we'll have to see where he is two years from now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.