Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: This hasn't been a quick fall
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
Each of the past three years in June - August I've truly believed that Andy would be fixing the team's problems and that the Eagles would return to "serious contender" status. Each year in December I've been disappointed. The decline of the Eagles has been growing steadily over the past several years. Truth be told, the blame falls on the owner and his "gold standard" mentality.

I've looked for reasons and found excuses. I looked forward to the draft, OTAs and TC for the problems to be remedied. It didn't happen. In fact, things have worsened and it all seems to coincide with a few significant departures.

JJ was the biggest loss but the defensive players Andy inherited seem to be a very close second. As frustrating and unpredictable as the Martyreid offense has been it's been the steady decline of the defense that has moved the Eagles from contender to joke.

Also, one of Reid's biggest assets (no waistline jokes) has proven to be his most serious fault. His unbridled self confidence, often interpreted as arrogance led him to some serious mistakes. The most common is his game day coaching. He should have "done a better job there" and delegated the decisions to someone who is better prepared to make quick decisions under stressful circumstances. He should have insisted on a proven football man to manage and direct the personnel decisions. He should have sought out a respected, veteran defensive coordinator to follow JJ.

Andy should have demonstrated true humility rather than an unwavering faith in his own brilliance. If he had, maybe my handle would be One or Two and not Zero.
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (Zero @ Dec 5 2012, 07:46 AM) *
Andy should have demonstrated true humility rather than an unwavering faith in his own brilliance. If he had, maybe my handle would be One or Two and not Zero.

i dont like AR and would like him to leave. have wanted that for years...however i dont fault him for arrogance. almost every head coach is arrogant and over confident. its almost a prerequisite for being an NFL HC

its why the good HCs continue to be good and when they fall off they fall hard
TGryn
Eh, I don't know. Going into '11, the biggest problem on D was not being able to generate a pass rush without blitzing. Enter Washburn and the Wide 9, and we led the league in sacks. Then we had big problems stopping the run, got Ryans and better DL, and went from 20th to 10th in yards per rushing attempt this year. Even this season, now that Foles is the starter our run-pass balance is much closer to 50-50 than it was with Vick.

I think our main issue has been missing on a number of high draft picks, especially on D. Jarrett, Te'o, Laws, and possibly Watkins and Marsh as well - that's at least three guys who should be maturing into starters right now who're gone instead, because they couldn't play.
Dreagon
Well, only speaking of the last couple of years, but it seems like free agency has kind of turned on you guys and bitten yall. Nnamdi, DRC, Babin... all free agent stars who made your defense look awesome on paper, but seem to be cashing in their checks at the Eagles expense. Obviously, i don't think all free agents are mercenaries, but I get the feeling that trait wasn't scouted for in these three (although I have no idea how one would go about doing that).

If I was you guys, I would cut as many of those guys loose as you can, and then focus on drafting up a team that bleeds green. You know, the type that looks as pissed as the fans when they lose and takes it personally.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Dec 5 2012, 08:34 AM) *
Well, only speaking of the last couple of years, but it seems like free agency has kind of turned on you guys and bitten yall. Nnamdi, DRC, Babin... all free agent stars who made your defense look awesome on paper, but seem to be cashing in their checks at the Eagles expense. Obviously, i don't think all free agents are mercenaries, but I get the feeling that trait wasn't scouted for in these three (although I have no idea how one would go about doing that).

If I was you guys, I would cut as many of those guys loose as you can, and then focus on drafting up a team that bleeds green. You know, the type that looks as pissed as the fans when they lose and takes it personally.

The fact that we've been so dependent on free agency should tell you everything you need to know. Building a team through free agency isn't bad policy just because of the finances. It's an indication that there are too many holes caused by not developing in-house talent. The last starting caliber corner we drafted was in 2002. The last end, 2005.
CT_Eagle
Free agency should be used for 1 reason only, to fill in that missing piece or two. It is no way to build a football team. Let's face it, if the free agent were so great to begin with, why didn't his original team lock him up in the first place?

The Giants have it right. You build through the draft.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Dec 5 2012, 10:27 AM) *
The Giants have it right. You build through the draft.

It's not that our franchise doesn't understand this. They we're one of the first to really figure it out and value the hell out of draft picks.

It's that they're terrible at executing.

What the Giants have right is having a franchise with clearly defined roles. A great GM who is responsible for building the team and a coach who is responsible for what happens on the field.

Coaching in the NFL is one of the most demanding jobs imaginable. These guys routinely work 20 hour days. To think that someone can successfully manage those responsibilities and evaluating players (both around the league and in college) is absurd.

I don't know what the real power situation is in Philly, but if Andy really does have final say over football decisions, we know exactly where our problem is.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.