Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Colts waived Peyton Manning, then drafted Andrew Luck?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
ClydeSide
After 14 years, 1 Super Bowl. 2 AFC Championships, and 8 division titles, they went 2-14 in 2011. AND LO AND BEHOLD, they draft another franchise quarterback!!!!

Is it naive to assume that the ownership and management of the Indianapolis Colts knows what it takes to be a winner? How lucky can one team get?

Well, then there's the Giants. mad.gif
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (ClydeSide @ Dec 4 2012, 07:07 PM) *
After 14 years, 1 Super Bowl. 2 AFC Championships, and 8 division titles, they went 2-14 in 2011. AND LO AND BEHOLD, they draft another franchise quarterback!!!!

Is it naive to assume that the ownership and management of the Indianapolis Colts knows what it takes to be a winner? How lucky can one team get?

Well, then there's the Giants. mad.gif

I would say that the fact that the Colts won one SB with Peyton Manning is a testament to how poorly run they were for the past decade. Polian is garbage, in my opinion.

They got lucky as hell by landing Luck after the one down year they've had in a decade. You know what they say about being lucky.
ClydeSide
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 4 2012, 07:57 PM) *
I would say that the fact that the Colts won one SB with Peyton Manning is a testament to how poorly run they were for the past decade. Polian is garbage, in my opinion.

They got lucky as hell by landing Luck after the one down year they've had in a decade. You know what they say about being lucky.

I think they should have won more as well--but that was on the defense, supposedly Dungy's expertise. As far as Polian, his drafts in recent years were down. But he did bring in Manning (instead of Ryan Leaf), James (instead of Ricky Williams), Freeney, Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Robert Mathis, Jeff Saturday, and on and on.

That's still one more than we have. I would have been happy with one STINKIN Super Bowl win in the last 14 years.

As Norm VanBrocklin said after beating the Green Bay Packers, "I'd rather be lucky than good."
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (ClydeSide @ Dec 4 2012, 08:10 PM) *
I think they should have won more as well--but that was on the defense, supposedly Dungy's expertise. As far as Polian, his drafts in recent years were down. But he did bring in Manning (instead of Ryan Leaf), James (instead of Ricky Williams), Freeney, Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Robert Mathis, Jeff Saturday, and on and on.

That's still one more than we have. I would have been happy with one STINKIN Super Bowl win in the last 14 years.

As Norm VanBrocklin said after beating the Green Bay Packers, "I'd rather be lucky than good."

Their defense was a disaster because of Polian. When you have Peyton Manning, you can get away with mediocre pieces around him. They should have been loading up on defense his entire career.

He could have (and did) turn marginal pieces into viable offensive weapons. They didn't need to spend so many high picks on offensive players.
ClydeSide
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 4 2012, 08:32 PM) *
Their defense was a disaster because of Polian. When you have Peyton Manning, you can get away with mediocre pieces around him. They should have been loading up on defense his entire career.

He could have (and did) turn marginal pieces into viable offensive weapons. They didn't need to spend so many high picks on offensive players.

True--but some of those guys are going to the Hall of Fame. And he built the Bills and Carolina.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (ClydeSide @ Dec 4 2012, 08:40 PM) *
True--but some of those guys are going to the Hall of Fame.

Who? Freeney is the only one I can even think of that would be in the discussion. And, he was drafted high. Which is what they should have been doing throughout.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.