Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Banner's in Cleveland ... right?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
What was Banner's title here? President? Has his spot been filled? Is this why Andy's here and still making decisions? Moving on up?
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Zero @ Dec 3 2012, 11:51 AM) *
What was Banner's title here? President? Has his spot been filled? Is this why Andy's here and still making decisions? Moving on up?

I sure as hell hope not. Andy has proven no capacity for building a team. He has been good about evaluating his team internally, but bringing in outside talent (either via the draft or free agency) has proven to be a nightmare.
Bocadelphia Eagles John
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 3 2012, 11:55 AM) *
bringing in outside talent (either via the draft or free agency) has proven to be a nightmare.

My knee jerk reaction to this ...

One area I think Andy has EXCELLED. Finding running backs.

He knows how to find them. Outstanding performers, all of them.

If only he would learn to USE THEM better ...

What a conundrum.

Oh ... and field goal kickers. He's done a good job there ..

Ummmm ... not too shabby in finding tackles. Shame Jason Peters got hurt. And we've seen some great ones during Andy's tenure.

Got to go to my memory bank to see if there are any others that come to mind. But those are the ones that immediately come to mind.
CT_Eagle
The secondary overall during Reid's tenure has been good. It sucks balls right now but that really only started last season.
D Rock
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Dec 3 2012, 07:27 PM) *
The secondary overall during Reid's tenure has been good. It sucks balls right now but that really only started last season.

Nope.

He inheritted Troy, Bobby T, Dawk, Al Harris.

The best of "His" chosen players in the secondary was Sheldon. Quentin Mikell was servicable at best. Litoast was all hype. Lewis, a coverage liability. Ware? Bishop? Lindley? Jarret? Demps? Marsh? Hughes? Considine? Coleman? Not a player in the group.

The only decent guy he drafted in the position group was JR Reed who had the freak accident after his rookie season. The only position group he's more inept at finding is Linebacker.

The defense as a whole is filled with swing and a miss draft guys. I can't think of ANY guys other than Trent Cole (got lucky on a late round flyer) and Patterson that were any good. He took Bunkley with Ngata still on the board. He took Graham with JPP still on the board (and Earl Thomas to boot).

Reid simply doesn't know how to evaluate defenders. He doesn't get the mindset. He only looks at measurables.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Dec 3 2012, 05:39 PM) *
Nope.

The best of "His" chosen players in the secondary was Sheldon. Quentin Mikell was servicable at best. Litoast was all hype. Lewis, a coverage liability. Ware? Bishop? Lindley? Jarret? Demps? Marsh? Hughes? Considine? Coleman? Not a player in the group.

The only decent guy he drafted in the position group was JR Reed who had the freak accident after his rookie season. The only position group he's more inept at finding is Linebacker.

The defense as a whole is filled with swing and a miss draft guys. I can't think of ANY guys other than Trent Cole (got lucky on a late round flyer) and Patterson that were any good. He took Bunkley with Ngata still on the board. He took Graham with JPP still on the board (and Earl Thomas to boot).

Reid simply doesn't know how to evaluate defenders. He doesn't get the mindset. He only looks at measurables.

Yep. It's been a problem for years. Corey Simon was a solid pick who had a few good seasons. Sheldon was a solid player. As was Patterson.

Other than that...nothing. It's amazing it didn't come to light much sooner.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (D Rock @ Dec 3 2012, 10:39 PM) *
Nope.

I did not say anything about his drafting the secondary so I am not sure why you would mention who he inherited. That was not my point. The point is that the secondary was not considered a weakness until the decline started with Dawkins departure after the '08 season and really hit rock bottom last season. Up until then the Eagles had a decent secondary.
D Rock
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Dec 4 2012, 02:27 AM) *
I did not say anything about his drafting the secondary so I am not sure why you would mention who he inherited. That was not my point. The point is that the secondary was not considered a weakness until the decline started with Dawkins departure after the '08 season and really hit rock bottom last season. Up until then the Eagles had a decent secondary.

Oh, Okay. Forgive me. I assumed you were participating in the conversation at hand. Silly me. Apparently you just decided to throw out random thoughts when the rest of us were discussing Reid's failure to restock the shelves?

To your point, the secondary never got back to the where it was in Reid's first 2 years. The blood letting began with Al Harris' departure.
Phits
QUOTE (D Rock @ Dec 4 2012, 01:39 PM) *
Oh, Okay. Forgive me. I assumed you were participating in the conversation at hand. Silly me. Apparently you just decided to throw out random thoughts when the rest of us were discussing Reid's failure to restock the shelves?

To your point, the secondary never got back to the where it was in Reid's first 2 years. The blood letting began with Al Harris' departure.

In JJ's system, the secondary was never a real cause for concern. 'Restocking the (DB) shelves' was never a priority...of course neither was LB, and we see how well that turned out.
GQSmooth
QUOTE (Bocadelphia Eagles John @ Dec 3 2012, 01:22 PM) *
My knee jerk reaction to this ...

One area I think Andy has EXCELLED. Finding running backs.

He knows how to find them. Outstanding performers, all of them.

If only he would learn to USE THEM better ...

What a conundrum.

Oh ... and field goal kickers. He's done a good job there ..

Ummmm ... not too shabby in finding tackles. Shame Jason Peters got hurt. And we've seen some great ones during Andy's tenure.

Got to go to my memory bank to see if there are any others that come to mind. But those are the ones that immediately come to mind.

Boca I give credit to Ted WIlliams the RB coach, he was here before Reid. He deserves credit for the talent that keeps arriving here. Williams is the one coach I hope the Eagles retain.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (D Rock @ Dec 4 2012, 07:39 PM) *

Your forgiven. biggrin.gif
I did re-read the entire thread and don't know what "random thoughts" you are talking about. I stated that the secondary did not really start to slip until recently. My point was that Reid kept the secondary in decent shape during most of his time in Philly. I think that definitely falls under the topic of "Reid's restocking of the shelves". You just happened to focus on drafting in your response to me and I never said anything about drafting in my post.
D Rock
QUOTE (Phits @ Dec 4 2012, 07:56 PM) *
In JJ's system, the secondary was never a real cause for concern. 'Restocking the (DB) shelves' was never a priority...of course neither was LB, and we see how well that turned out.

You're missing me here.

JJs scheme was predicated on an outstanding secondary. Linebackers be damned, but in a blitzing defense, you've got to have stellar safety play and solid tacklers as the blitz is designed to force the QB to go to his hot route.

This current crop of non tackling pussies in green would be terrible in JJs scheme too. When a receiver can turn a 3-5 yard route into a 15-20 yard gain because your safeties can't tackle and your corners wont tackle . . . you're doomed.

And if "restocking the shelves" was "never a priority" why then did we spend our first 3 draft picks (a first and 2 second rounders) on 2 corners and a safety the year we took Litoast, Sheldon and Mike Lewis? The only higher "priority" has been D lineman.

Don't mistake draft failures for philosophical indifference.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.