Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The shot of the owner's box last night.....
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
ClydeSide
Jeff with a look of consternation and bewilderment and Howie sitting slightly behind to his right.

That shot filled my heart with confidence that a Super Bowl Championship is just around the corner. [sarcasm alert]
xsv
QUOTE (ClydeSide @ Dec 3 2012, 08:25 AM) *
Jeff with a look of consternation and bewilderment and Howie sitting slightly behind to his right.

That shot filled my heart with confidence that a Super Bowl Championship is just around the corner. [sarcasm alert]

I have a hard time blaming Lurie for any of this. If anything, I think he's proven the ability to surround himself with people that know what they are doing.

ClydeSide
Lurie is certainly better than Jerry Jones who meddles day in and day out with personnel and game planning. If he had turned the keys over to someone like Sean Payton or Bill Belichick, it's a different story.

But he chose a head coach with no head coaching experience and not even any coordinator experience. Reid's critical weaknesses should have been exposed before he became the head coach of the Eagles. After 14 years, Andy is the same guy--you can't change a guy's brain. Jim Johnson covered for him by giving him the ball back over and over again.

As far as Howie as goes, I have no confidence.
GQSmooth
Howie is so hit or miss. There is no middle. Cox, and Brown were awesome pick ups. Failing to do anything at the safety position, bringing in an over 30 free agent CB, not stepping in with the Def. coord. fiasco and thinking were ok at LB for years has screwed this team over.
ClydeSide
It all has the stench of desperation. Reid's first mistake was McDermott. It has gone down hill from there. If he had hired a real d-coordinator, maybe it would have given Reid another lease on life----so maybe the chaos is worthwhile---if we get a head coach that can get us a Lombardi Trophy.

Eyrie
QUOTE (xsv @ Dec 3 2012, 01:54 PM) *
I have a hard time blaming Lurie for any of this. If anything, I think he's proven the ability to surround himself with people that know what they are doing.

Agreed - for the most part hiring Reid was a good move. It's only been in later years that Lurie could have questions about the offensive playcalling or hire of Castillo but he wouldn't press such points for the same reason that he is a good owner - he's hands off.
Phits
QUOTE (xsv @ Dec 3 2012, 08:54 AM) *

I agree.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (ClydeSide @ Dec 3 2012, 09:58 AM) *
It all has the stench of desperation. Reid's first mistake was McDermott.

This is easy to say with 20/20 vision. McDermott was considered to be the best up and coming defensive mind in football at the time.

It has gone down hill from there. If he had hired a real d-coordinator, maybe it would have given Reid another lease on life----so maybe the chaos is worthwhile---if we get a head coach that can get us a Lombardi Trophy.

I think it's pretty clear at this point that Castillo wasn't the problem. It's the talent or lack thereof that is causing problems on defense.

The problem is our inability to draft impact defensive players for a decade. All of Reid's best defensive players were holdovers from the Rhodes team (Hugh, Vincent, Trotter, Dawkins.)

We've literally drafted 3 good defenders under Reid: Simon, Sheldon, and Cole. I'll reserve judgement on the rookies. Cole is the only one who is even in the same class as those guys mentioned above.

How we fooled ourselves into having high expectations for this team with such a pathetic record in the draft is beyond me.

ClydeSide
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 3 2012, 11:25 AM) *
This is easy to say with 20/20 vision. McDermott was considered to be the best up and coming defensive mind in football at the time.

I think it's pretty clear at this point that Castillo wasn't the problem. It's the talent or lack thereof that is causing problems on defense.

The problem is our inability to draft impact defensive players for a decade. All of Reid's best defensive players were holdovers from the Rhodes team (Hugh, Vincent, Trotter, Dawkins.)

We've literally drafted 3 good defenders under Reid: Simon, Sheldon, and Cole. I'll reserve judgement on the rookies. Cole is the only one who is even in the same class as those guys mentioned above.

How we fooled ourselves into having high expectations for this team with such a pathetic record in the draft is beyond me.

Good points. I still want a change in the system itself. There are succesful models around the NFL--and none of them are ours.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (ClydeSide @ Dec 3 2012, 12:40 PM) *
Good points. I still want a change in the system itself. There are succesful models around the NFL--and none of them are ours.

Oh, so do I. I've wanted it for years. We have definitely relied on scheme over personnel for far too long. It's finally gotten to a point where we can't mask how terrible our talent is.

We basically had 3 versions of Reid teams. JJ with great players. JJ scheming around lesser talent. And other guys scheming around lesser talent. We got away with it when JJ was around. It's pretty clear that mere mortals are unable to do the same.
ClydeSide
[quote name='Phits' date='Dec 3 2012, 11:13 AM' post='241614']
I agree.
[/quote

I always place blame at the top.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.