Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: They just fired Washburn
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Rick
Why can't they fire Reid and be over with it?
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (Rick @ Dec 3 2012, 08:31 AM) *

if this is truly a AR decision, is he trying to save his job?

if this was a roseman call, and they are so willing to fire ppl before the end of the season, why dont they fire AR?

firing washburn solves just as many problems as firing AR would

washburn might have been clipped because he had some choice words about babin's release....im sure reporters are falling over themselves to get an exclusive with him. he doesnt strike me as the sort to mince words
Zero
QUOTE (Rick @ Dec 3 2012, 07:31 AM) *

I don't want Reid fired until it is over with. The season is unsalvagable but maybe this coach will be able to do some repair to the psychs of some of the players. He's always been good at that and I think he'll do whatever he can to fix things before he's out.
Zero
QUOTE (BirdsWinBaby @ Dec 3 2012, 07:39 AM) *
if this is truly a AR decision, is he trying to save his job?

if this was a roseman call, and they are so willing to fire ppl before the end of the season, why dont they fire AR?

firing washburn solves just as many problems as firing AR would

washburn might have been clipped because he had some choice words about babin's release....im sure reporters are falling over themselves to get an exclusive with him. he doesnt strike me as the sort to mince words

According to McClane Washburn had become a cancer on the team. Reid's decisions the last couple of years have been questionable at best and more like insane. Washburn, Vick, Castillo, yadda, yadda were his downfall. IMO he just couldn't accept that he isn't smarter than the world.
CT_Eagle
Thank god. One less gimmick on this team. Now maybe the DL can get back to playing football instead of that wide 9 BS.
ClydeSide
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Dec 3 2012, 08:16 AM) *
Thank good. One less gimmick on this team. Now maybe the DL can get back to playing football instead of that wide 9 BS.

Well, gimmicks and little fast guys worked for the Giants and the Steelers, didn't it? [sarcasm alert]
Rick
QUOTE (Zero @ Dec 3 2012, 07:53 AM) *
I don't want Reid fired until it is over with. The season is unsalvagable but maybe this coach will be able to do some repair to the psychs of some of the players. He's always been good at that and I think he'll do whatever he can to fix things before he's out.

Huh? He's running this team into the ground at an alarming rate and you think he'll be able to repair anything? :::scratching head:::

Sorry, Reid needs to go...NOW. Stop the insanity. Move on with the search for a new head coach. Reid did a lot of great things for this team but he's shown how his ways just aren't working any longer with this team.

These guys need to understand this level of play is not acceptable. We can make excuses about injuries, etc. all we want but that's only part of the problem. The real problem is this team hasn't played with a sense of urgency (on either side of the ball) all season. Reid--and his staff--have done absolutely NOTHING to increase the level of urgency with this team. Make the change now.

Why cut Babin and fire Washburn but keep the guy who's running the show into the ground????
Dreagon
First Mudd announces he's retiring, and now they fire Washburn. Couple this with Luries continued silence on a certain topic and I'm starting to wonder if he isn't trying to set things up to keep Andy Reid another year.
TGryn
They replaced him with Tommy Brasher, who was the DL coach up through 2005 (before retiring) and did a very good job. Sounds like he came back as a favor to Reid, but it'd be good if the young guys can soak up some of his knowledge while he's around, especially since we won't be using Wide 9 next year.

Washburn deserved to get fired, regardless of what you think about whether Reid should go too. His unit was among the most talented on the team and underperformed all year. He had the salty personality that Eagles fans like (think Buddy Ryan), but when you don't get results, this is what happens. We're tied for 5th-fewest sacks in the league, and the Wide 9 has to produce sacks to justify the weaknesses it brings to other areas of the defense. Didn't happen, hence its gone, and Washburn with it. I have no problem with this move.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Dec 3 2012, 02:45 PM) *
First Mudd announces he's retiring, and now they fire Washburn. Couple this with Luries continued silence on a certain topic and I'm starting to wonder if he isn't trying to set things up to keep Andy Reid another year.

I really hope your are just trying to stir the pot here. I have no idea how I could get excited for the Eagles in 2013 if Reid is still here. It would just be another lost season.
Dreagon
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Dec 3 2012, 07:54 AM) *
I really hope your are just trying to stir the pot here. I have no idea how I could get excited for the Eagles in 2013 if Reid is still here. It would just be another lost season.

Honestly, that was the first thing that crossed my mind when I read about Washburne being fired this morning. I thought, "He really doesn't want to fire Reid, so he's going to offer a bunch of assistant coaches as sacrificial lambs in hopes of placating the fans to let Reid finish his contract."

If that is what he is doing, look for him to fire Bowles early after the regular season is over.
Rick
QUOTE (TGryn @ Dec 3 2012, 08:46 AM) *
They replaced him with Tommy Brasher, who was the DL coach up through 2005 (before retiring) and did a very good job. Sounds like he came back as a favor to Reid, but it'd be good if the young guys can soak up some of his knowledge while he's around, especially since we won't be using Wide 9 next year.

Washburn deserved to get fired, regardless of what you think about whether Reid should go too. His unit was among the most talented on the team and underperformed all year. He had the salty personality that Eagles fans like (think Buddy Ryan), but when you don't get results, this is what happens. We're tied for 5th-fewest sacks in the league, and the Wide 9 has to produce sacks to justify the weaknesses it brings to other areas of the defense. Didn't happen, hence its gone, and Washburn with it. I have no problem with this move.

Oh I'm not saying Washburn shouldn't have been fired. He absolutely should have--along with just about everyone else. I just wish they'd get rid of Reid. I'm starting to get worried they will keep him on after this, "season," is (officially) over.
eaglesphan27
Just a question, has any team ever made the playoffs using the "Wide 9"? All I can say is, thank God we never have to watch that again. What a piece of junk!
Rick
QUOTE (eaglesphan27 @ Dec 3 2012, 10:14 AM) *
Just a question, has any team ever made the playoffs using the "Wide 9"? All I can say is, thank God we never have to watch that again. What a piece of junk!

There is a reason everyone (except Detroit) went away from it. I'm not judging, I'm just saying....oh wait, I AM judging...
Eyrie
The Wide 9 worked for us last year, after a few seasons where our DL couldn't generate any pressure on the QB without help. But it's been found out this year and I agree with TGryn that the players have the talent.

Interesting comment early in the game by either Michaels or Collingsworth that Washburn wasn't happy with Babin being cut.
GQSmooth
Reid's time is up at the end of the season. His job is still to act in the best interests of the team. As long as he continues to do that he should stay in the job. Firing him before the end of the season makes no sense unless you just want to make the WIP sect of fans happy.
Bocadelphia Eagles John
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Dec 3 2012, 08:45 AM) *
I'm starting to wonder if he isn't trying to set things up to keep Andy Reid another year.

I've not only been thinking the very same thing, but I predicted it a little while back.

And now ... Would you please shut the fuck up ? Stop making it so easy for me to agree so readily and so often with a hated rival supporter. Jiminy Crickets. ohmy.gif

Rick
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Dec 3 2012, 10:48 AM) *
The Wide 9 worked for us last year, after a few seasons where our DL couldn't generate any pressure on the QB without help. But it's been found out this year and I agree with TGryn that the players have the talent.

Sorry, it didn't work last year. We blew how many 4th quarter leads early in the season? Just because we beat bad teams in the en doesn't mean the defense worked. The good teams exploited how bad it was...EVERY time we played one.
Rick
QUOTE (GQSmooth @ Dec 3 2012, 11:04 AM) *
Reid's time is up at the end of the season. His job is still to act in the best interests of the team. As long as he continues to do that he should stay in the job. Firing him before the end of the season makes no sense unless you just want to make the WIP sect of fans happy.

Again, I still want to understand why it makes no sense to get rid of a guy NOW who is running this team right into the ground at an alarming speed. What good is coming of it?

If they fire him now, what's the worst that's going to happen? They'll lose out the rest of the season? I think they're gonna do that anyway. So send a message to this organization that this isn't right. Get rid of him now, start your search for a new head coach now. If there's someone you have your eye on who is already working, then wait until you can start talking to them.

An interim coach isn't going to do any worse than what we've got now.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Rick @ Dec 3 2012, 01:10 PM) *
Sorry, it didn't work last year. We blew how many 4th quarter leads early in the season? Just because we beat bad teams in the en doesn't mean the defense worked. The good teams exploited how bad it was...EVERY time we played one.

Look here, we agree on something.

Last year's numbers with the wide-9 were hollow. Sacks don't mean shit if they cause you to be weak in every other facet of the game.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Rick @ Dec 3 2012, 01:13 PM) *
who is running this team right into the ground at an alarming speed.

What does this even mean?

JeeQ
Washburn undermined Castillo, called him “Juanita” in front of players

The two assistant coaches Andy Reid has fired this season apparently did not get along.

Jim Washburn, the Eagles defensive line coach who was fired this morning, had so little respect for Juan Castillo, the Eagles defensive coordinator who was fired earlier this season, that Washburn would openly show contempt for Castillo in front of players, according to a report from Reuben Frank of CSNPhilly.com.

The report cites one veteran defensive player as saying that Washburn would either ignore Castillo entirely or confront him in a condescending manner. And Washburn would also call Castillo “Juanita” in front of players.

If true, Washburn is both a jerk and a grown man with the maturity of a typical 8-year-old boy. We noted last season that there were reports that Washburn was a major problem in Philadelphia, openly criticizing the offensive playcalling among other things. It doesn’t speak well for Reid as a head coach if that kind of thing was going on within his coaching staff and Reid didn’t put a stop to it.

At least, Reid didn’t put a stop to it until it was too late. Reid fired Castillo after Week Six, but that didn’t fix anything: Since Reid fired Castillo, the Eagles have gone 0-6, and they’ve given up at least 28 points in all six games — a point total they didn’t give up in any game this season before they fired Castillo. So it’s safe to say that Castillo was far from the only problem in Philadelphia.

Washburn said before the season that if the defensive line didn’t get better, he deserved to get fired. Maybe Reid shouldn’t have waited so long to fire Washburn.

Epic laugh.gif
make_it_rain

KEEP FIRING, ASSHOLES!
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ Dec 3 2012, 12:43 PM) *

KEEP FIRING, ASSHOLES!

laugh.gif
Dr. Claw
QUOTE (Rick @ Dec 3 2012, 07:31 AM) *

GOOD!!!

he should have been gone before Juan. the Wide 9 was a joke, and when you read what Reuben Frank wrote about Washburn behind the scenes...

Rick
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 3 2012, 12:14 PM) *
What does this even mean?

I'll give you some time to look it up...
TGryn
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Dec 3 2012, 09:34 AM) *
Washburn undermined Castillo, called him “Juanita” in front of players
I also recall an interview with Spadaro in camp where Washburn said he was "good with (guys like Cox), Southern black players." In a lot of other professions, talk like that will get you mandated to take a diversity/sensitivity class, or worse.

What's funny is that Washburn was criticizing Castillo, but has never stepped up to become a DC himself. Those who can't do, criticize...
mcnabbulous
Sounds like Howie's influence on football decisions is greater than it had been made out to be.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/181936521.html
Zero
From a management perspective this worries me more:
The proposal was initially met with skepticism. Reid, though, became convinced. The Eagles coach had become less familiar with assistants around the league and which ones were available and had come to rely on others for suggestions, one source said.

Because:
"Andy Reid has full and final control over all decisions over his coaching staff," Roseman said in a statement. "To say that I had more to say, or more involvement or more input that Andy Reid in hiring Jim Washburn is categorically false."

Reid is still running the ship and he's out of touch.

"Move along. There's nothing to see here."
GQSmooth
QUOTE (Rick @ Dec 3 2012, 01:13 PM) *
Again, I still want to understand why it makes no sense to get rid of a guy NOW who is running this team right into the ground at an alarming speed. What good is coming of it?

If they fire him now, what's the worst that's going to happen? They'll lose out the rest of the season? I think they're gonna do that anyway. So send a message to this organization that this isn't right. Get rid of him now, start your search for a new head coach now. If there's someone you have your eye on who is already working, then wait until you can start talking to them.

An interim coach isn't going to do any worse than what we've got now.

You see the coordinators we have on the field now. Do you really think they can't do any worse??
Rick
QUOTE (GQSmooth @ Dec 4 2012, 02:46 PM) *
You see the coordinators we have on the field now. Do you really think they can't do any worse??

That's exactly my point. Can't get any worse so cut your losses and use it to send a message that this crap is unacceptable.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.