Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: here's Great Article About Chip Kelly's Oregon Offense
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
ClydeSide
I don't know whether this has been posted before, but it makes the point that Kelly spreads the field to cause confusion in gap coverage, allowing them to run the ball up the gut. Nice discussion.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/863159...-familiar-seems
Zero
The thing that worries me about Kelly is the spread offense and the gimick concept. It seems NFL coaches catch up to things pretty quickly and everything reverts back to blocking and tackling. "Beat the guy in front of you" usually is a solid approach.
ClydeSide
QUOTE (Zero @ Nov 29 2012, 07:17 PM) *
The thing that worries me about Kelly is the spread offense and the gimick concept. It seems NFL coaches catch up to things pretty quickly and everything reverts back to blocking and tackling. "Beat the guy in front of you" usually is a solid approach.

Well, Gruden and Bellichick both made trips to find out how he does it. New England is using no-huddle this year. You should read the article==it's really an OLD SCHOOL running game. What makes it unique is that he runs the no-huddle at three different speeds. It is still fundamental football--but smarter than everyone else. This guy is a visionary.

Also, he confuses the gap coverage--similar to SanFrancisco (Harbaugh). Casey Matthews is very positive about Kelly and the system:

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inq-eag...Chip-Kelly.html

HAVING SAID THAT I ALSO LIKE BRIAN KELLY, NOTRE DAME. Seems like the year for the Irish.
Clamdigger
QUOTE (ClydeSide @ Nov 29 2012, 07:32 PM) *
Well, Gruden and Bellichick both made trips to find out how he does it. New England is using no-huddle this year. You should read the article==it's really an OLD SCHOOL running game. What makes it unique is that he runs the no-huddle at three different speeds. It is still fundamental football--but smarter than everyone else. This guy is a visionary.

Also, he confuses the gap coverage--similar to SanFrancisco (Harbaugh). Casey Matthews is very positive about Kelly and the system:

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inq-eag...Chip-Kelly.html

HAVING SAID THAT I ALSO LIKE BRIAN KELLY, NOTRE DAME. Seems like the year for the Irish.

A Casey Matthews endorsement probably isn't a good thing.
ClydeSide
QUOTE (Clamdigger @ Nov 29 2012, 08:33 PM) *
A Casey Matthews endorsement probably isn't a good thing.

LOL But it's still an interesting read.
Bocadelphia Eagles John
QUOTE (ClydeSide @ Nov 29 2012, 07:32 PM) *

Me too .. and ... here here !!!

But should the Irish have to face Bama I think they will finally run right into a brick wall.

But I would love nothing better than to see them go all the way.

Zero
QUOTE (ClydeSide @ Nov 29 2012, 08:34 PM) *
LOL But it's still an interesting read.

Yeah, I read it but I'm not smart enough to know if it can be stopped by the NFL. Run & shoot, etc.
VICKtory
QUOTE (Zero @ Nov 30 2012, 08:30 AM) *
Yeah, I read it but I'm not smart enough to know if it can be stopped by the NFL. Run & shoot, etc.

Certainly wouldn't work with a QB that runs a 5.1 40
mcnabbulous
I don't quite understand the Philly infatuation with Kelly. I would think after Reid, Eagles fans would want someone who would bring in a bit more physical play.

I know I do.
ClydeSide
QUOTE (VICKtory @ Nov 30 2012, 11:38 AM) *
Certainly wouldn't work with a QB that runs a 5.1 40

Good point. But the system is primarily a runing offense. We have excellent runners.
ClydeSide
QUOTE (Bocadelphia Eagles John @ Nov 29 2012, 11:26 PM) *
Me too .. and ... here here !!!

But should the Irish have to face Bama I think they will finally run right into a brick wall.

But I would love nothing better than to see them go all the way.

Trivia: Ara Parseghian was a running back at little Miami of Ohio--and the head coach was Sid Gillman.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.