Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another reason Vick will be gone
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Eyrie
There is speculation Vick won't be back because of his salary hit next year, or because of his "performances" this season.

I'll toss in another one. Our new head coach will bring in a new OC with a different game plan and will want a QB who is a good fit. That could be Vick, but it's far more likely to either be Foles (if he shows enough promise) or a veteran familiar with the new system.

Given how weak the 2013 QB class is said to be, whoever gets the job is likely to be keeping the seat warm for a high pick in 2014.
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Nov 28 2012, 03:58 PM) *
There is speculation Vick won't be back because of his salary hit next year, or because of his "performances" this season.

I'll toss in another one. Our new head coach will bring in a new OC with a different game plan and will want a QB who is a good fit. That could be Vick, but it's far more likely to either be Foles (if he shows enough promise) or a veteran familiar with the new system.

Given how weak the 2013 QB class is said to be, whoever gets the job is likely to be keeping the seat warm for a high pick in 2014.

a new coach would be insane to get a new HC job and hitch his wagon to the hope that Foles is/will be as good as AR hoped. Foles will keep his spot on the team just in case he wasnt just more AR hype

that means that when the new HC is thinking about who his QB will be it will have to be a veteran to get us thru until the GM can draft somebody. given that a vet like Alex Smith will cost the Eagles big money and Vick (coming off the last 2 season's) will be happy to get the ham sandwich and chips he will be offered under his greatly restructured contract, Vick might have more appeal

as you said there are no studs coming out in the draft and there wont be any top tier veteran QBs that they can sign, so whoever the QB is its not much more than a 3yr plan while the new HC builds the team....they might decide a cheap Vick could be that guy
make_it_rain
QUOTE (BirdsWinBaby @ Nov 28 2012, 05:13 PM) *
that means that when the new HC is thinking about who his QB will be it will have to be a veteran to get us thru until the GM can draft somebody. given that a vet like Alex Smith will cost the Eagles big money and Vick (coming off the last 2 season's) will be happy to get the ham sandwich and chips he will be offered under his greatly restructured contract, Vick might have more appeal

as you said there are no studs coming out in the draft and there wont be any top tier veteran QBs that they can sign, so whoever the QB is its not much more than a 3yr plan while the new HC builds the team....they might decide a cheap Vick could be that guy

sadly, i agree with this. I'd still rather have the team suck ass for another season with a re-structured Vick than blow our draft this year on some sitff like Matt Barkley.
Zero
QUOTE (BirdsWinBaby @ Nov 28 2012, 05:13 PM) *
a new coach would be insane to get a new HC job and hitch his wagon to the hope that Foles is/will be as good as AR hoped. Foles will keep his spot on the team just in case he wasnt just more AR hype

Vick's a coach killer and won't be here next year. He may even find it hard to get a starting spot on another team. Talent galore but he plays the position the same way he slides ... actually the opposite way. Whatever, he'll make too much money to do anything but win a SB.

I'll bet the new coach brings in a vet or two to compete with Foles. I don't listen to Reid about his picks, but Grudog spoke highly of the kid. In fact, I seem to remember reading that Reid wanted someone else who was taken before he had his chance and ended up settling for Foles.
ClydeSide
You're right. Vick's history. Kurt Warner was in the arena league before he hit gold with Mike Martz's offense. His system required a SMART QB. I think Foles would be good in a Norv Turner type offense. What about Norv as offensive coordinator and Ron Rivera as d-coordinator? Bill Cowher as HC. That team would have a chance.
ClydeSide
You're right. Vick's history. Kurt Warner was in the arena league before he hit gold with Mike Martz's offense. His system required a SMART QB. I think Foles would be good in a Norv Turner type offense. What about Norv as offensive coordinator and Ron Rivera as d-coordinator? Bill Cowher as HC. That team would have a chance.
Zero
QUOTE (ClydeSide @ Nov 28 2012, 08:48 PM) *

Give Foles an OL and a solid running game and he might have a chance. Hey, if Dilfer can win the SB why not Foles? Maybe not 2013, but there's a couple of holes to fill first anyway.

BTW, I like the Turner/Rivera combo but I'm not sure about Cowher after his prolonged layoff.
ClydeSide
QUOTE (Zero @ Nov 29 2012, 06:59 PM) *
Give Foles an OL and a solid running game and he might have a chance. Hey, if Dilfer can win the SB why not Foles? Maybe not 2013, but there's a couple of holes to fill first anyway.

BTW, I like the Turner/Rivera combo but I'm not sure about Cowher after his prolonged layoff.

San Fran just went with Kaepernic--a similar type player. Kaepernic is a little faster but Foles is fast enough. Marino

Of course, Cowher would never take the job--too messy and the Iggs don't have his type of personnel..too small and wussy for Bill. But I think Cowher will come back---coaches are addicted.
Eyrie
QUOTE (ClydeSide @ Nov 30 2012, 01:17 AM) *
the Iggs don't have his type of personnel

Very good point. I'm sure everyone will be tossing out names that they think can do a good job here, but any candidate will look at the players here and back off if they are a poor fit for his systems because the rebuilding job will become that much bigger.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.