Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why We Need To Keep Andy For the Rest of the year
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
I know I'm in the minority, but hear me out on this.

The options are to either

#1 Keep Andy and his current staff the rest of the year

OR

#2 Fire Andy now, and "promote" one of his coaches to be interim head coach for the remainder of the season.

Let's look at option #2.

I guess if we get rid of Andy, the likely candidates for interim head coach would be either the OC, DC, STC, or OLC or DLC. so Marty, Bowles, April, Mudd, or Washburn. I say it's clear, no matter who you chose out of this bunch, that person would have no shot of sticking as HC next year. If you agree with me on this, regardless of that group's qualifications or lack thereof to be HC, it will do no good toward next year.

Now, let's say they pick Marty to be the interim. It is highly unlikely that they will add another guy onto the staff that will have the ability to pick up the slack left behind by Reid. In all likelihood, they add nobody to fill in for Marty. They will do the same with less.

Now doing the same with fewer personnel, will result in the team being less prepared each week as they would have been if Reid had stayed.

If they are less prepared, it is yet another limitation to the evaluation process of Foles at QB.

It is the evaluation of Foles that is most important here, maybe one of the only things that is important between now and the end of the season. We need to have him operate in as close to a real environment as possible. Despite all of the injuries etc, having Reid stay here gives him the best possibility of that happening.

We need to know what we have in Foles. Is he a starting QB, is he a backup? Do we need to keep Vick for another year to give Foles time to develop further? Do we need to draft another QB b/c he isn't good enough.

This is the answer we need to have by the end of the year.

No matter who we select as interim if we fire Reid, it isn't like anyone on this team will play harder for them as they've been playing for them all year (Marty, Bowles, etc). So it isn't like the wins will matter and besides, at this point it would do nothing but hurt our draft position.

Keep Reid!!! It's all about the future!
Zero
Agreed. There's no advantage in removing Reid now. The season is effectively over and if there is even a remote chance that having him leave now would mean the team wins more games this year - I say it's counter productive.

The remainder of this year is like a hybrid pre-season. This is resume time, job interviews for next year. Let the young guys play their asses off and learn on the fly. Double advantage: they get NFL game experience and there's film on them for the next man up ... coach that is.

BTW, they should be told that too. Let them know that Babin is an example of what happens to those who don't play heads up, lights out football. Let them know that every job is up for grabs. That's a present Reid can leave for the franchise and the fans.
D Rock
Agreed.

But just to play "devil's advocate...."

Option 1 allows us to go with one of these ass hat assistant coaches and tank out for a better draft position.

(I would never seriously advocate doing this of course)

The worst thing that could happen now is that we win out and draft 17th.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Nov 27 2012, 07:35 PM) *
I know I'm in the minority, but hear me out on this.

It sounds like you're in the majority - I'm with Didinger - keep Reid, unless he stubbornly refuses to play Foles with Vick healthy. Tell Reid to play Foles and he keeps his job, cause we need a good look at him for our future - if he won't do it and will play Vick, cut his ass loose and let Marty sink with the ship.
TGryn
There isn't a whole lot of history of "interim" coaches with the Eagles, but I'll remind folks that after Swamp Fox got fired in '85, Fred Bruney took over as interim for one game. Bruney took it as a 1-game audition for the job, scrapped the usual conservative offense and put in more razzle-dazzle, and the Eagles beat the Vikings 37-35.

I think the players know they've let Reid down this year, but he remains popular with the team. We haven't heard a lot of dissension from "unnamed sources" to the media, which is pretty amazing considering how the season's went. Firing Reid could well act as a temporary fire under the less-motivated players, igniting a short winning streak. Would that be good for the franchise going forward?
Phits
Foles (probably) isn't the future. He will (likely) be our starter next year. 2014 is growing to be a strong draft year. That's the target on the calendar. With that said, firing Andy right now does nothing for the team or the future. Keep the Walrus and let him slide out gracefully to his next team (Chargers, Bills...Cowboys?) at seasons end.
Rick
Sory but I'm sick of hearing this. Why is it, in the NFL, it's taboo to fire a coach mid-season but in every other sport it's commonplace?

I'm sorry, he needs to go and go NOW with the way he's run this team into the ground this season. I've never seen anything like this before. It's counterproductive to keep him around at this point.

Why worry about evaluating talent in schemes which probably won't be here with a new coach? Makes no sense.

I love the things Reid did to turn this team around, however, he's hurting the team much more than he's helping at this point. Week in and week out, they are unprepared to face what they're up against. Week in and week out, we see the same blown assignments (on both sides of the ball). Week in and week out we see the same uninspired play from this team. He needs to go.

Dreagon
I think it's usually a good idea to keep the coach through the season just because you don't want to take the chance an elevated assistant gets lucky, finishes strong, and then creates a movement to keep him when what you really need to do is go ahead and clean house.

(ugh, what a run-on sentence. And I'm a writer fer pete's sake.)
HobbEs
One thing to consider is that hiring a minority as an interim coach allows you to circumvent the Rooney rule. (Correct me if I'm wrong). So for example, if Lurie promotes Todd Bowles to interim head coach then after the season he can interview and hire whoever he wants without having to go through the process with a minority candidate.

This was the case in KC last year with Romeo Crennell and eventually they removed the interim tag. (Unfortunately for them it hasn't worked out this year). If Bowles shows that he's HC material then maybe he's the man for the job. If not, well then there's going to be a lot of potential openings and not a whole lot of great candidates so having the jump on the gun may be a good thing.
GQSmooth
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Nov 28 2012, 10:15 AM) *
One thing to consider is that hiring a minority as an interim coach allows you to circumvent the Rooney rule. (Correct me if I'm wrong). So for example, if Lurie promotes Todd Bowles to interim head coach then after the season he can interview and hire whoever he wants without having to go through the process with a minority candidate.

This was the case in KC last year with Romeo Crennell and eventually they removed the interim tag. (Unfortunately for them it hasn't worked out this year). If Bowles shows that he's HC material then maybe he's the man for the job. If not, well then there's going to be a lot of potential openings and not a whole lot of great candidates so having the jump on the gun may be a good thing.

Bowles can't do the job he has now, how the hell is he going to be a head coach? The most undisciplined area on the team has been the secondary all year. Since Bowles has taken over the defense its spread to the entire defensive unit. I mean how many times do we have to watch receivers go uncovered? How many times do we have to watch teams march right down the field on the first drive to recognize these guys are unprepared and continue to make mistakes because there is no consequence.

The only coach the team should keep around is Ted Williams the RB coach. Everyone else should be fired. I thought it was enlightening that during Troy Vincent's ceremony he mentioned the Eagles needed to clean up a lot of the players and it worked in the past. The two players he specifically called out where it made a tremendous difference was William Fuller and Mike Zordich. Interesting how the Eagles brought back on a coach that is now indicted by a former player as one of the "leaders" that led on the field but stunk it up in the locker room as a leader.
Zero
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Nov 28 2012, 09:15 AM) *

I thought the Rooney rule only means the team needs to interview a minority candidate. There's no short supply of that category so what's the difference?
HobbEs
I thought the Rooney rule only means the team needs to interview a minority candidate. There's no short supply of that category so what's the difference?

Yeah, that's what I thought as well. My only point is that if Lurie wants Gruden (for example) he only needs to interview that one candidate. It just streamlines the process.
Rick
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Nov 28 2012, 09:12 AM) *
I think it's usually a good idea to keep the coach through the season just because you don't want to take the chance an elevated assistant gets lucky, finishes strong, and then creates a movement to keep him when what you really need to do is go ahead and clean house.

But this can happen in any sport yet they have no problem firing a coach mid-season in any other sport.

I understand what you're saying but I don't think it's something which should be taken into consideration. Fix the problem(s) you KNOW you have NOW not the problems you MIGHT have LATER.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Rick @ Nov 28 2012, 12:29 PM) *
But this can happen in any sport yet they have no problem firing a coach mid-season in any other sport.

I understand what you're saying but I don't think it's something which should be taken into consideration. Fix the problem(s) you KNOW you have NOW not the problems you MIGHT have LATER.

Firing Reid now fixes no problem.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 28 2012, 12:49 PM) *
Firing Reid now fixes no problem.

It would fix the problem at HC, even for the interim.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.