Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Babin released
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
mcnabbulous
Damn. Didn't see that happening mid season.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 27 2012, 02:53 PM) *

When will he be back for a 3rd try? tongue.gif

Probably after he gets picked up by the Raiders and has 15 sacks next year.....
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 27 2012, 03:53 PM) *

Say whaaa? Don't see this anywhere but it's huge. Link me?

Just heard it on radio. What happened?
D Rock
It's on bleacher report.
make_it_rain
Didn't see this coming, let the housecleaning begin.

On a somewhat related note, I'd like to congratulate Jason Babin on his forthcoming 2013 DPOY award.
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (D Rock @ Nov 27 2012, 04:06 PM) *
It's on bleacher report.

Thanks....babins wiki page already says it too
D Rock
PFT is slippin. Still no mention there.
TGryn
http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2012/11/2...se-jason-babin/

I get the feeling the team finally hit the "eject" button on the season, with DJax being IR'ed and Babin gone. Suspect there'll be more moves this week.

Wonder if 1) Babin had a run-in with one of the coaches and this was a disciplinary move?; or 2) if they have an eye on a couple of guys on other teams' practice squads and want the roster space to sign them (basically the NFL's version of MLB's Rule 5 draft), so they're jettisoning guys who won't be here next year and IR'ing guys who won't recover by week 16?

Babin's contract made him vulnerable: less than $1 million dead money to cut.
TGryn
Further support for "eject button" hypothesis:
https://twitter.com/RoobCSN/statuses/273472607767105537
Jason Peters goes on IR. Won't play this year.
BirdsWinBaby
Curry played well....season over... Babin expendable and likely gone at seasons end anyway

He will sign with someone before Sunday
Eyrie
Only saw the condensed version of the game, but one thing that really annoyed me was the lack of contain from our DEs. It happened that often against the extremely mobile Newton that the coaches had to be aware of it.

So either the coaches did nothing, or the players ignored instructions. Could this be a disciplinary move over the latter?

If it was sinply to create room to look at the younger guys (is Graham worth keeping? Can Curry play?) then Tapp has been even poorer.
make_it_rain
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Nov 27 2012, 03:52 PM) *
If it was sinply to create room to look at the younger guys (is Graham worth keeping? Can Curry play?) then Tapp has been even poorer.

I think its mostly this, with a little bit of a statement/attitude adjustment (e.g we're not going to put up with this whiny "it's not my fault the line sucks, the fans are mean boo hoo" bullshit anymore). The team needs a complete attitude adjustment from the top down, and if that means cutting a 2011 All-Pro that was wildly mediocre in 2012, so be it.

Fwiw, Curry looked pretty solid in his debut last night. I caught a few shots of him on the sidelines, trying to get everyone worked up...he looked amped like he (gasp!) actually wanted to be out there playing to win.

The jury is obviously still out on Curry and others, but at least Curry has some damn enthusiasm as opposed to Babin, whose basically just going through the motions at this point.
ClydeSide
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 27 2012, 02:53 PM) *

WIDE NINE IS HISTORY. Back to basics. Reggie and Clyde could get this done.
Bocadelphia Eagles John
See this as the first sign that Andy Reid WILL STILL be head coach next year.

Rick
Now if they would just end it and fire Reid I'd actually feel better about the rest of the season...
nephillymike
Hmmmmmm.

The underperforming money stealing DE who criticizes the fans gets cut.

after

the executive who decided to unleash the goons on the fans during the Dal game and whose idea it was to pump up the volume to drown out the boos was fired.

after

the executive who always pissed off the fans of this city was demoted for his eventual departure.

I don't know how McDermott's brother who was fired plays into this but maybe Lurie is a little pissed at the unfanfriendly vibes of some of his employees.
nephillymike
dupe.
JaxEagle
He hasn't had a good season but it smells a little like the Castillo firing to me. Scapegoats
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (JaxEagle @ Nov 27 2012, 10:15 PM) *
He hasn't had a good season but it smells a little like the Castillo firing to me. Scapegoats

He's better off and we are better off. I don't think that is it.
Pbfan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 27 2012, 11:18 PM) *
He's better off and we are better off. I don't think that is it.

This guy almost broke the alltime sack record last year, and we cut him for modest production this year??? Does Andy see who else is on defense?! There's other players to cut before babin! This is insane!
VICKtory
QUOTE (Pbfan @ Nov 28 2012, 12:27 AM) *
This guy almost broke the alltime sack record last year, and we cut him for modest production this year??? Does Andy see who else is on defense?! There's other players to cut before babin! This is insane!

In the offseason sure, but right now DL is the only place where we actually have enough depth to replace him
MistahNickells
do you let a first rank sack machine in 2011 go because of a broken wide nine defense that never will work?? I think its a bad move
Pbfan
I agree this thing is becoming a mess. You want to give young guys some playing time? Then bench babin, but don't release him! There's def more to this story than meets the eye.
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (MistahNickells @ Nov 28 2012, 01:04 AM) *
do you let a first rank sack machine in 2011 go because of a broken wide nine defense that never will work?? I think its a bad move

Not a bad move. Babin was only effective cuz of the wide 9. It's no more broken now than it ever was. How well did having the sack machine work last year? One million sacks and eight wins?

The plan was to allow babin to disregard the run, get tons of sacks of at least pressure QBs into bad decisions that would help the big name corners shut down any passing attack. It failed. The secondary sucks, babin sucked so bad he was already losing PT and this defense is a laughing stock

The experiment was over. Babin was gone at years end either way
TGryn
Babin missed most of camp with a calf injury. I have to wonder if its affected him all year - for a speed rusher like him, losing even a little quickness can make a big difference.

Babin out, Curry in. That's what it comes down to.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.