Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alex Smith benched in SF
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
mcnabbulous
According to Jim Trotter of SI. Harbaugh says its not health related.
Dude is sporting a 104 rating and 70% completion. Must be nice. Also sounds like he will be available this offseason.
Dreagon
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 21 2012, 09:49 PM) *
Dude is sporting a 104 rating and 70% completion. Must be nice. Also sounds like he will be available this offseason.

I can't imagine him wanting to stay in San Francisco now that Harbaugh has the QB he drafted starting in his place.

But at the same time I think Alex Smith will need to find the right fit if he is going to succeed. He's going to need a coach that will design the game to his abilities, and he definitely needs a running game to complement him.
Pbfan
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Nov 22 2012, 02:09 AM) *
I can't imagine him wanting to stay in San Francisco now that Harbaugh has the QB he drafted starting in his place.

But at the same time I think Alex Smith will need to find the right fit if he is going to succeed. He's going to need a coach that will design the game to his abilities, and he definitely needs a running game to complement him.

Noooo way do I want him. He has had a good season but overall his career has been a dissapointment. I still dont think he's proven himself. Plus, he's no spring chicken.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 21 2012, 10:49 PM) *

Assuming we have a new coach, Smith would probably fit in here as a game manager with Shady running.

Anyone else think the 49ers are about to become unstoppable?
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Pbfan @ Nov 22 2012, 06:16 AM) *
Noooo way do I want him. He has had a good season but overall his career has been a dissapointment. I still dont think he's proven himself. Plus, he's no spring chicken.

Only 28. He came into the league really young. Depending on the type of offense brought in (and Lurie is likely to stick with WCO) I would absolutely bring Smith in. He's limited arm wise , but really smart and athletic.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 22 2012, 11:33 AM) *
Only 28. He came into the league really young. Depending on the type of offense brought in (and Lurie is likely to stick with WCO) I would absolutely bring Smith in. He's limited arm wise , but really smart and athletic.

why would Lurie stick with the WCO? he's not a hands on owner, to that extent. Wouldn't the new scheme be dependent on the new coach? Besides we haven't run a ball control offense for some time, it's more of a bastardized WCO. the only similarity is that our current HC uses the pass to set up the run.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Nov 22 2012, 11:40 AM) *
why would Lurie stick with the WCO? he's not a hands on owner, to that extent. Wouldn't the new scheme be dependent on the new coach? Besides we haven't run a ball control offense for some time, it's more of a bastardized WCO. the only similarity is that our current HC uses the pass to set up the run.

I think Lurie will choose another WCO coach, as has been his trend. He's emulated the 49ers and Packers.
You clearly don't know anything about the WCO if you think Reid's philosophy is bastardized.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Coast_offense
Beyond the basic principle of passing to set up the run, there are few rules that govern Walsh's West Coast Offense.

The reason it hasn't been ball control is because we haven't had a QB who could successfully move the chains by consistently completing mid-range passes. It's why Smith could be a nice change.
You constantly complain that Reid doesn't change his system to match his players skills, but that is exactly what he has done by implementing a deep passing attack to take advantage of our deep speed and inaccurate passers.
Dr. Claw
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 21 2012, 10:49 PM) *

Only under a new coach, and a run-first offense.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 22 2012, 11:54 AM) *
I think Lurie will choose another WCO coach, as has been his trend. He's emulated the 49ers and Packers.
You clearly don't know anything about the WCO if you think Reid's philosophy is bastardized.

The reason it hasn't been ball control is because we haven't had a QB who could successfully move the chains by consistently completing mid-range passes. It's why Smith could be a nice change.
You constantly complain that Reid doesn't change his system to match his players skills, but that is exactly what he has done by implementing a deep passing attack to take advantage of our deep speed and inaccurate passers.

Oh yeah, I forgot your hero is infallible. It's a bastardized version, because we focus on the deep ball. You say it's due to inaccurate QB's. I say it's because of stupid coaching. TO-'MAY'-TOE....TO-MA-TOE. We're shit and the coach is the reason.
BirdsWinBaby
Lurie's talk about emulating historically winning franchises like the 49ers and packers is lip service based mostly on the end result....they won trophies and he expected to as well

presently BOTH of those franchises have GMs that were experienced scouts long before they became the GM...Lurie's idea of "emulating" that was to hire and extend a lawyer boy cap expert. (not to mention firing coaches long before 14 no-SB years)

most of the GMs in the league have more experience and came up as scouts looking at players while making their mark as a team exec.....when AR leaves, Lurie can keep Roseman in place as long as he wants....just dont (piss down my leg) tell me that a non-football guy who is the youngest GM in the league with mostly cap management experience instead of scouting players (and call it rain) is somehow the best GM candidate available that will dig you out of the hole AR dug
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Nov 22 2012, 07:58 PM) *
Oh yeah, I forgot your hero is infallible. It's a bastardized version, because we focus on the deep ball. You say it's due to inaccurate QB's. I say it's because of stupid coaching. TO-'MAY'-TOE....TO-MA-TOE. We're shit and the coach is the reason.

Your best quality: you fail to see the irony in the fact that you wrongly accuse me of placing no blame on Reid, yet you blame everything on Reid.
The deep ball is part of our game, because that's what our best wideouts are good at. But we hardly focus on it. I can't even remember many deep throws this year.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (BirdsWinBaby @ Nov 22 2012, 09:40 PM) *
Lurie's talk about emulating historically winning franchises like the 49ers and packers is lip service based mostly on the end result....they won trophies and he expected to as well

presently BOTH of those franchises have GMs that were experienced scouts long before they became the GM...Lurie's idea of "emulating" that was to hire and extend a lawyer boy cap expert. (not to mention firing coaches long before 14 no-SB years)

most of the GMs in the league have more experience and came up as scouts looking at players while making their mark as a team exec.....when AR leaves, Lurie can keep Roseman in place as long as he wants....just dont (piss down my leg) tell me that a non-football guy who is the youngest GM in the league with mostly cap management experience instead of scouting players (and call it rain) is somehow the best GM candidate available that will dig you out of the hole AR dug

You're preaching to the choir regarding Roseman and our general need of a real GM. I've been saying it for longer than I've been on this board. Andy definitely built this soft mess. I'm not sure if Roseman has drafted similar garbage to appease Andy or if that's the type of guys he likes too. All of the great, tough players we've had on this team, with the exception of Runyan, were on our roster before Andy got here.
I'd like to see more of those guys around here.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 23 2012, 02:43 AM) *
Your best quality: you fail to see the irony in the fact that you wrongly accuse me of placing no blame on Reid, yet you blame everything on Reid.
The deep ball is part of our game, because that's what our best wideouts are good at. But we hardly focus on it. I can't even remember many deep throws this year.

He is the leader. He shoulders the responsibility. He got the credit for the good years....he gets the credit for the bullshit that is on the field now. He gets the accolades for past success, he should bear the brunt of the current transgressions. Get it now?

As for the deep ball, why do you think Vick was holding the ball so long?
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Nov 23 2012, 03:42 AM) *
He is the leader. He shoulders the responsibility. He got the credit for the good years....he gets the credit for the bullshit that is on the field now. He gets the accolades for past success, he should bear the brunt of the current transgressions. Get it now?
Not all the credit.

As for the deep ball, why do you think Vick was holding the ball so long?

Because he can't read a defense.

Dr. Claw
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 23 2012, 03:44 AM) *
Because he can't read a defense.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.